Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the ccm carousel looked a lot like the one at the Dixie Classic Fair. Except the one at the fair is a two-story one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know where the one from the CCM is?

By the way, on the mall issue, I used to drive from north Charlotte to the Hanes Mall because I really can't stand the malls in Charlotte. Carolina Place always has shi*loads of traffic around it, and Southpark is a bunch of cloned elitists. And I've already discussed Eastland's problems. Hanes was always a viable option, even if I had to drive 90 minutes.

hmmm...Hanes Mall is a winner in my opinion. I like the new design, it adds a unique flavor that some other malls don't have. Plus there are a lot of big box stores down the road, which is kinda convientent for me. However that whole area is growing out of control. Hanes Mall Blvd. and Stratford Rd. are way over capacity. It makes no sense that it takes me 15 mins to get to sams club from the mall. If NS ever restores that railine to service it would be so many wreaked cars there at Stratford Rd. Its just funny watching all the cars race for the light then get stoped in the middle of the intersection because of traffic. From the looks of it, the Hanes Mall area will be Winston's version of Southpark.

Southpark is a bunch of cloned elitists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. SouthPark seems to draw from a little bit of every economic class.

Hanes is ok(sort of TOO big anymore if you ask me).  If I am going to shop beyond 30 minutes of my house, Im going to South Point in Durham.(roughly a 45 min drive)  I love the atmosphere of that mall!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Southpoint is pretty nice. I hated it at first because everything was so "Disneyland," but it's grown on me.

I think the thing I liked about South Point from the start was that you got the best of both worlds, a mall inside with a very unique decor...and some outside walking areas as well that gives that old town feel. The water statues are pretty cool too. I took pictures of them back in Jan/Feb sometime when they were all frozen over .

hmmm...Hanes Mall is a winner in my opinion. I like the new design, it adds a unique flavor that some other malls don't have. Plus there are a lot of big box stores down the road, which is kinda convientent for me. However that whole area is growing out of control. Hanes Mall Blvd. and Stratford Rd. are way over capacity. It makes no sense that it takes me 15 mins to get to sams club from the mall. If NS ever restores that railine to service it would be so many wreaked cars there at Stratford Rd. Its just funny watching all the cars race for the light then get stoped in the middle of the intersection because of traffic. From the looks of it, the Hanes Mall area will be Winston's version of Southpark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ur right, i cant see how that area could grow too much bigger. Its gotten so out of control, that a new apartment complex is accessed through the Babies R Us/Costco driveway...never seen anything like it. It sits right behind that shopping center on hanes mall blvd. As for Stratford, its way too small for all that development. the 2-lane Rd will soon have to handle the traffic from that new HillCrest Town Center being constucted. Give it another 2 years and that area is going to be constant bumper to bumper.

Another area thats about to be crazy is North UnivesityPkwy/Hanes Mill Rd.

Another area thats about to be crazy is North UnivesityPkwy/Hanes Mill Rd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well I don't know about that, there really hasn't been that much more development happening. The only major thing has been the anouncement of that new movie theater. I really hope they build that mall up there, I would love to see Winston compete with some of the other big cities.

I avoid Hanes Mall Blvd as much as possible.  If I go to the mall I go to the mall.  If I want to try my hand at driving through the rest of Hanes Mall Blvd, I know I am talking my life and sanity in my own hands!  ;)

The only good thing even remotely WORTH trying to drive through Hanes Mall Blvd is Salem Creek ...the gift store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hanes Mall Blvd is bad, but in my opinion, Wendover in Gso is worse

well I don't know about that, there really hasn't been that much more development happening. The only major thing has been the anouncement of that new movie theater. I really hope they build that mall up there, I would love to see Winston compete with some of the other big cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im not saying in the near future, but its starting to resemble that area on the southside...just from judging by the growing trends in the city. north winston is a high growth area. I-74 will also aid in development.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, by the way. Do any of you guys know what's being put in that site off Hanes Mall blvd. near where it crosses over I-40 on that 2 lane bridge? I want to know as in terms of stores, I already know it's going to be a "lifestyle" center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just looked through the Food Court the other day. Sbarro is still there.

I just looked through the Food Court the other day.  Sbarro is still there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was? Wow! I live less then a mile away from Hanes and you can tell I don't frequent the mall very much! I remember Sbarro use to be a big deal back in the late 90's but ever since i've never heard much about it. Oh and by the way are there any new restaurants there, ever since the renavation there was an influx of new eateries but since then nothing.

It was? Wow! I live less then a mile away from Hanes and you can tell I don't frequent the mall very much! I remember Sbarro use to be a big deal back in the late 90's but ever since i've never heard much about it. Oh and by the way are there any new restaurants there, ever since the renavation there was an influx of new eateries but since then nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know of any new restaurants at Hanes Mall, but Dick's Sporting Goods is coming to the ring road near Hecht's/Macy's.

Speaking of Hanes Mall, what was Hanes like before the south section was built and what was the south section like when it first opened? Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The north end was a pretty typical '70s mall, which looked a lot like a smaller version of Woodfield Mall in Chicago. There were huge pieces of modern art that doubled as fountains halfway between the three large courts in front of the department stores. There were glass railings with wood handrails and it was rather dark overall.

The south end was a lot like the north end, but the department store courts were smaller and the mall itself was a lot brighter.

• 4 months later...

Archived