Americans Say U.S. Is Ready For Female President,

sunshine

ALBANY, N.Y. -- More than six in 10 voters believe the United States is ready for a woman president in 2008 and 53 percent of the voters think Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, a New York Democrat, should try for the job, a nationwide poll has found.

The poll, conducted by the Siena College Research Institute and sponsored by the Hearst Newspapers, found that 81 percent of voters surveyed would vote for a woman for president; 62 percent said the country is ready for a woman president; and 67 percent said a female president would be better than a male chief executive in handling domestic issues.

Other national polls have identified the former first lady as the favorite among Democratic voters for the party's presidential nomination. In the Siena poll, 60 percent of voters said they expect a woman to be on the Democratic ticket for president in 2008. Only 18 percent of voters said they expected the 2008 Republican ticket to be headed by a woman.

The telephone poll of 1,125 registered voters was conducted Feb. 10-17 and has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points. The poll results were first reported in Monday's editions of Times Union of Albany, a Hearst newspaper.

"There was very little difference between men (64 percent) and woman (60 percent) on whether the country was ready for a woman president in 2008," said Douglas Lonnstrom, director of the Albany-area research institute.

While voters surveyed said a woman president would be better on domestic issues, there was no such advantage on who would do a better job as "commander in chief" - 18 percent said a woman would do better on that aspect of the job, 23 percent said a woman would do worse and 45 percent said gender wouldn't make a difference. On foreign policy issues, 24 percent said a woman president would do better; 11 percent said worse; and 52 percent said the president's gender didn't matter.

The Albany-area pollsters found that 37 percent of voters felt Clinton should not run for president.

On the Republican side, 42 percent of voters said U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice should run for the White House while 41 percent said she should not and 33 percent said Sen. Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina should run for president while 48 percent said she should not do that.

In 2000, Clinton became the first woman ever elected, on her own, to statewide office in New York when she won the Senate seat vacated by fellow Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Three women have been elected lieutenant governor in New York, but only as part of a governor-lieutenant governor ticket.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would support a female candidate, but not Hillary Clinton. I think Condi Rice would be a good candidate. Elizabeth Dole wouldn't stand a chance. I'd like to see Rice vs Clinton in the next race. That would be an interesting campaign.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with Dole?

Condi can barely stand up to a congressional panel. There's no way she gets elected with all that political baggage.

"I believe it said 'Al Qaeda intends to attack the US'"

What's wrong with Dole?

Condi can barely stand up to a congressional panel.  There's no way she gets elected with all that political baggage.

"I believe it said 'Al Qaeda intends to attack the US'"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought she did well. She is a smart person with her head on straight. I think she would make a great candidate. Dole just doen't seem to have the energy I would like to see- plus she is associated with ol' Bob who lost bad to Clinton. I don't thinnk she would be taken seriosly.

What we need is a Black president.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Condi is a black female.

I might be wrong, but I think it will be another 50 years at least before we see either a Black or female president. The states are just too high for either party to nominate anything but WASP males.

The dems might on a very slim chance nominate Hillary. And if they do, she will lose big time. The scary thought about her taking office is that if it happens, then for over 30 years we will have had only two families controlling the White House, the Bushes & the Clintons. (You didn't think Reagan really ran things while he was president) Maybe this is why Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton are such an "item" these days.

I might be wrong, but I think it will be another 50 years at least before we see either a Black or female president.  The states are just too high for either party to nominate anything but WASP males.

The dems might on a very slim chance nominate Hillary.  And if they do, she will lose big time.  The scary thought about her taking office is that if it happens, then for over 30 years we will have had only two families controlling the White House, the Bushes & the Clintons.  (You didn't think Reagan really ran things while he was president)  Maybe this is why Bush Sr.  and Bill Clinton are such an "item" these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some might say we don't need to give Clinton a 3rd term :P

Archived