Charleston Medical Office Growth

Charleston native

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an article I found in this week's Charleston Business Journal. I definitely know that health care office space is a huge commodity down there. One thing I would want to downplay, though; downtown medical office space will grow more once Roper and MUSC finish their new towers.

On Calhoun Street, there is an old 3-story boxy looking building across the street from Roper along next to a 1-story old family care office for MUSC. I propose that these buildings be demolished, and a new, 20-story office building with a parking garage be built there. The building could be multi-purpose with residential units, medical office space, and maybe even a health insurance company could locate there. It would be VERY convenient with the medical complex across the street!

musc_aerial.jpg

The area I'm referring to is in the lower, farthest right of the picture here. As you can see, it is very boring, and if you saw the building close-up, it is rather ugly and old-looking. The building is NOT historic, so bulldozing it might not be a problem. Well, what do ya'll think?

I think that is a rather old picture. It seems like I recall that site being used now.

I'll see if I can find any verifiable info on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried to get a map from the website, but the forum gave me an error message. That picture is still fairly accurate. The building on the far lower right IS still being used as part of Charleston County Memorial Hospital, and to the left of it is part of the site for the new MUSC hospital tower. The building I'm referring to is the tiny little 3-story box just above the memorial hospital building with a flat 1-story gray building to the left of it.

I wish I knew how to add arrows and other graphics.

• 4 weeks later...

There are plans to construct 3 identical office towers in the medical complex area. The first is being worked on at this moment. I believe the city will begin to allow taller structures on the western end of the peninsula. They have already negotiated for construction of high rise hotels near lockwood to make the gateway to the peninsula city more attractive.

There are plans to construct 3 identical office towers in the medical complex area. The first is being worked on at this moment.  I believe the city will begin to allow taller structures on the western end of the peninsula.  They have already negotiated for construction of high rise hotels near lockwood to make the gateway to the peninsula city more attractive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great news! When and where did you hear this? I've been saying for years that they need to improve the gateway into DT from West Ashley and make it more attractive. I do know that they want to build an 8-story apartment building where that Comfort Inn is.

As far as the hospital towers, are they going to be identical in height, or are they going to build the other 2 considerably taller? My understanding was in the MUSC Master Plan, that at least one of the new towers in later phases such as Phase 2 or 3 was to be around 20-stories.

Archived