SC Off Topic

Spartan

Archeologists have uncovered a major find a mile south of the Lake Murray dam on the lower Saluda River a few miles upstream from downtown Columbia. They have unearthed artifacts from 13,500 years ago and some from as recently as 500 years ago. It's a 10-acre site that was a major trading spot used by native Americans. They have over 30,000 artifacts from the site. Talk about eco-tourism.

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/755229.html

• 8 months later...

This entry in SCIway is pretty interesting about that topic. There are many theories... but apparently it's because South Carolinians literally had to eat dirt for nutrients. This practice is known as geophagia, and in many poor areas of the South it still occurs... South Carolina just became well known for it. Other nick names that did not stick were: "Carolina Clay-Eaters" and "Sandhillers." It's really an interesting read, and somewhat telling of the history of the South in general.

http://www.sciway.net/hist/sandlapper.html

• 4 months later...

This makes me sick. Especially the fact that a cheap store like Forever 21 will replace it. sick.png

Agreed. Dare I say Greenville is going to start giving Charleston a run for their money in the "national retail store" department over the next few years.

Agreed. Dare I say Greenville is going to start giving Charleston a run for their money in the "national retail store" department over the next few years.

Not too sure about that one. Despite Saks' departure, Charleston still is pretty formidable in national retail due to tourism.

Not too sure about that one. Despite Saks' departure, Charleston still is pretty formidable in national retail due to tourism.

You're right and I take back what I said. This is going to sound bad, but I didn't even realize there was a Louis Vuitton in Charleston until I read about it last night on Charleston.net. blink.gif

What difference does it make regarding the existence of national retailers? This sounds like a pissing contest.

There are exceptions, but the existence of major high-end national retailers shows that your city is becoming a major metropolitan area for the most part in terms of population and growth. My intention was not to create a pissing contest. If I did then I apologize for that. Like I said, I take back what I said.

Edited by citylife

• 1 year later...

Alright, figured this was the best spot for this. For those living in the Rock Hill area, anyone know what happened at the Bank of America on Dave Lyle yesterday (Sat. June 18)? We went to Dunkin' Donuts for a coffee and it was completely roped off around 2:30, 3:00pm and there was a body under a white sheet right by the front door. We waited just a bit to see exactly what it was and sure enough the coroner was putting the deceased in a body bag. All day yesterday and then this morning I have been checking the Herald for any news of what happened and nothing.

Maybe this speaks volumes about the Herald - dogs tearing up koi ponds and rabid fox make the news, but a dead body at a very busy shopping center is non-existent.

• 1 month later...