SC Off Topic

Spartan

The Smithsonian Channel's TV series called AERIAL AMERICA is focusing on South Carolina..

It was on at 1PM today and will repeat tonight, Saturday July 30th at 9PM.

I love the Smithsonian Channel.

I've seen the series' episode on Virginia. They pretty much give a complete tour of a state. I'll definitely be tuned in. :thumbsup:

I love the Smithsonian Channel.

I've seen the series' episode on Virginia. They pretty much give a complete tour of a state. I'll definitely be tuned in. :thumbsup:

I tuned in about 5 minutes late, Gville. But what I saw covered Charleston, the coastal islands, plantations, low country and moved up to Congaree Park, Columbia, Greer, the mountains and then back southeast to Hilton Head on the coast. It did NOT show Greenville/Spartensburg, much to my dismay.

Despite that regretable omission, the South Caroline AERIAL AMERICA is better and more comprehensive than the one on Virginia.

Greenville is a cool city, IMO, and should not have been overlooked.

PS, Corgimatt. Excellent coverage of Columbia.

Edited by burt

I tuned in about 5 minutes late, Gville. But what I saw covered Charleston, the coastal islands, plantations, low country and moved up to Congaree Park, Columbia, Greer, the mountains and then back southeast to Hilton Head on the coast. It did NOT show Greenville/Spartensburg, much to my dismay.

Despite that regretable omission, the South Caroline AERIAL AMERICA is better and more comprehensive than the one on Virginia.

Greenville is a cool city, IMO, and should not have been overlooked.

PS, Corgimatt. Excellent coverage of Columbia.

The first 30 minutes were exclusively Charleston and the Grand Strand. Columbia's spot was all about the state house, the confederate flag being removed from the state house, and then an equally long portion about Maurice's BBQ, his racial views, and erection of the flag at his stores in Columbia.

And, unbelievably, they made it sound as if Greer was the single draw for BMW, the sole-provider of its workforce, and the lone significant place in the Upstate. Neither Greenville, nor Spartanburg were even mentioned.

It is surprising that of all the random facts and historical tidbits they included, they failed to mention the Liberty Bridge. There were lots of things that were unique to SC or "the only one in the US" that were mentioned in the show, a list that the Liberty Bridge is included on. Plus, the history involving Richard Pearris and the Cherokee could have been a strong connector to the blurb about Ninety Six, and then on to Greer... It's not like asking for a segment on the Greenville Zoo. End of Rant.

Overall a good feature on the Palmetto State.

I turned to the channel, but I would have had to pay, even though I have a pretty comprehensive Time Warner package deal. I don't call the Confederate flag issue and Maurice Bessinger excellent coverage of Columbia. Did they at least show some good shots of the city?

I turned to the channel, but I would have had to pay, even though I have a pretty comprehensive Time Warner package deal. I don't call the Confederate flag issue and Maurice Bessinger excellent coverage of Columbia. Did they at least show some good shots of the city?

Every shot was an aerial shot approaching the state house and flying around it. The one cool thing was that the filming was done when the TMG was under construction (but only a few floors were built, so you couldn't tell it would be a tower) so the crane was in every shot that came done Main Street. The Christmas Tree was up, so it was must have been December a year or so ago? Our state house was called one of the most recognizable in the nation.

• 8 years later...

Craig Melvin was broadcasting this morning on The Today Show from Wofford. As usual, the school looked fantastic and as Melvin put it, “some people call it South Carolina, others just call it God’s country”.  Wofford is a major asset for the state and has a tremendous reputation across the country.  

36 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article236401808.html

good article on options for Charlotte to Atlanta high speed rail.  Seems like the fastest options take the train away from cities in S.C.

You clearly read a different article than the rest of us. All routes will tap into the upstate population. 

10 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

You clearly read a different article than the rest of us. All routes will tap into the upstate population. 

Clearly the population will be served, didn’t see some routes going into the downtown areas....did you miss that?  And, I mentioned the fastest option.

Besides, this route will exist for Charlotte - Atlanta, not the upstate.  

57 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Clearly the population will be served, didn’t see some routes going into the downtown areas....did you miss that?  And, I mentioned the fastest option.

Besides, this route will exist for Charlotte - Atlanta, not the upstate.  

So glad you’re happy! They could route this through the middle of the state, but they’re not. 

2 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

So glad you’re happy! They could route this through the middle of the state, but they’re not. 

Actually, the shortest distance between Atlanta and Charlotte is 85, so no, they wouldn’t route this through the middle of the state.  The only reason the upstate is included is because it sits between Atlanta and Charlotte as so much of the upstate marketing materials point out.  

If anyone thinks routing this through the upstate is because of the upstate, I’ll sell you some ocean front land in North Dakota.

2 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Actually, the shortest distance between Atlanta and Charlotte is 85, so no, they wouldn’t route this through the middle of the state.  The only reason the upstate is included is because it sits between Atlanta and Charlotte as so much of the upstate marketing materials point out.  

If anyone thinks routing this through the upstate is because of the upstate, I’ll sell you some ocean front land in North Dakota.

And you’re still full of what you’ve always been full of  (Which, I don’t think I can say on here). 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

And you’re still full of what you’ve always been full of  (Which, I don’t think I can say on here). 

You can say it, you’d be wrong.  I asked you to quantitatively tell me how I was wrong in saying it would take a while for Greenville to absorb 500k sq feet of office space given today’s economic conditions, you responded with a “downvote” most likely because you know what I said is true or you just don’t understand the math.  No harm in either, just don’t respond or you can ask for clarification, maybe even look at the economics.  

For the high speed train, to suggest that this was “won” in the upstate over the midlands is beyond naive.  High speed rail, if it happens, is to connect two large metros that are growing rapidly, without large government assistance programs,  and should be connected.  

The fastest route would only serve GSP and for some reason Anderson. The ideal one - that stops in each downtown - is the slowest. If you don't have the time benefits then it won't be competitive.

IMO, the only route worthy of constructing is the one on I-85. You get the benefit of free advertising as drivers sit in traffic while the train whizzes by and stops in Spartanburg, Greenville, and Anderson - which is how it should be.

• Like 1

I think a hybrid of the Greenfield/I-85 route is best.   Use the Greenfield section from Charlotte to GSP, and the I-85 route from GSP to Atlanta.  Go Electric train the whole way and it gets you 220/180 mph.  I would take the Greenfield line closer to Sburg because for some unknown reason it runs South of Sburg for no good purpose.  The Southern Crescent option is just too slow. If you can't save significant time, there is no point to it.    

Based on the options provided, I would go with the fastest route.  But, in an ideal world, the train would run from Gateway Station in CLT to Magnolia St in Spartanburg then to downtown Greenville and on to Atlanta, maybe via Athens.  

Also, this should connect in with Raleigh at some point, that is another large metro with a high rate of growth.

The cost estimates are high, however it would be interesting to see how this compares with funding airport construction and other forms of transportation.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, distortedlogic said:

Another cool video I found; SC in the 1950s. Definitely shows a different time period and it would be interesting to see a current parallel video. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAYqByTXTbQ

I have to confess that I love the kind of artwork used in this video. A similarly-decorated dust jacket on an old book is an almost guaranteed sale when I'm browsing used bookstores.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Exile said:

I have to confess that I love the kind of artwork used in this video. A similarly-decorated dust jacket on an old book is an almost guaranteed sale when I'm browsing used bookstores.

I'm a bit of an antique book junkie myself.  Nothing really valuable but I have a small collection. Pretty cool holding books that are a couple hundred years old.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

State legislature passed a bill allowing counties to tax for the purpose of creating and enhancing green spaces. Summary of the bill below:

The County Green Space Sales Tax Act (S.152) – authorizes counties statewide to establish up to a 1% sales tax by referendum to purchase and enhance county green spaces. Counties could exercise “home rule” to protect critical natural areas in their communities or improve access to existing green spaces.

I'm happy to see this pass. Hopefully this is embraced across the state to enhance our local communities. If not, then it doesn't really mean much, I guess! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

State legislature passed a bill allowing counties to tax for the purpose of creating and enhancing green spaces. Summary of the bill below:

The County Green Space Sales Tax Act (S.152) – authorizes counties statewide to establish up to a 1% sales tax by referendum to purchase and enhance county green spaces. Counties could exercise “home rule” to protect critical natural areas in their communities or improve access to existing green spaces.

I'm happy to see this pass. Hopefully this is embraced across the state to enhance our local communities. If not, then it doesn't really mean much, I guess! 

Charleston did something very similar years ago. They passed a 1 cent sales tax that paid for highways, and to fund a Conservation Bank.  I hope the part about 'up to 1%' is accurate. meaning it could be less than 1%, like 1/2 cent.  In a uber conservative county like Greenville, that would be easier to pass.  There once was an attempt to pass a 1% sales tax for two years to pay for recreation. It failed to pass but it was somewhat close, something like 54 against -46 for.   

42 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Charleston did something very similar years ago. They passed a 1 cent sales tax that paid for highways, and to fund a Conservation Bank.  I hope the part about 'up to 1%' is accurate. meaning it could be less than 1%, like 1/2 cent.  In a uber conservative county like Greenville, that would be easier to pass.  There once was an attempt to pass a 1% sales tax for two years to pay for recreation. It failed to pass but it was somewhat close, something like 54 against -46 for.   

Yea -- I don't have too much faith that County Council would pass such a proposal. Could it even be passed by council, or would it need to be on the ballot for the voting public?