Spartan

2004 Stats

Region - # of Visitors - # of Visitor Days

Coastal - 14,458,331 - 63,816,369

Midlands - 4,804,881 - 14,541,455

Upstate - 3,644,433 - 11,551,939

Unkown - 9,010,826 - 15,464,772

SC Total - 30,026,973 - 105,374,534

In terms of tourism dollars, the top counties for the revenue period: Jul '02-Jun '03, are as follows:

• 1. Horry $12,179,567
    2. Charleston $6,674,831
    3. Beaufort $4,279,122 
    4. Greenville $1,642,280
    5. Richland $1,594,531 
    6. Georgetown $1,090,437
    7. Florence $711,554 
    8. Lexington $611,819 
    9. Spartanburg $486,950 
    10. Orangeburg $471,528
    11. York $446,784

Source

This is also an interesting link: Hotel Operating Performance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that for accomodations tax revenue?

Bluff Road is 4 lanes and it connects with Assembly Street/George Rogers Blvd at Williams-Brice Stadium. It would be helpful if Shop Road was widened, however. It is 4 lanes from South Beltline to Atlas Road, but only 2 lanes from South Beltline to George Rogers Blvd. A widening AND beautification of Shop Road would be very nice to see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. The 12th Street Ext isn't going to help anybody who lives in southeast Richland County. There is a new highway built from I-77 that goes into Cayce and West Columbia, but you have to go that much further south. Shop Road should be a main freeway style highway that merges into Assembly Street, because there really isn't another road that could be built.

Bluff Road isn't that great because it is further down on I-77, there are too many stoplights along the way, AND the road becomes a 2-lane street that runs through an old neighborhood. Shop Road is really the only road that is a better main thoroughfare that could use a big upgrade.

2004 Stats

Region - # of Visitors - # of Visitor Days

Coastal - 14,458,331 - 63,816,369

Midlands - 4,804,881 - 14,541,455

Upstate - 3,644,433 - 11,551,939

Unkown - 9,010,826 - 15,464,772

SC Total - 30,026,973 - 105,374,534

In terms of tourism dollars, the top counties for the revenue period: Jul '02-Jun '03, are as follows:

• 1. Horry $12,179,567
    2. Charleston $6,674,831
    3. Beaufort $4,279,122 
    4. Greenville $1,642,280
    5. Richland $1,594,531 
    6. Georgetown $1,090,437
    7. Florence $711,554 
    8. Lexington $611,819 
    9. Spartanburg $486,950 
    10. Orangeburg $471,528
    11. York $446,784

Source

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool list... I'm surprised to see Orangeburg so high on there... Does anyone know what the draw there is? I'm not too familiar with the area, except for a few band trips, so I'm just wondering why it would be in the top 10 counties for tourism. The rest of the list makes sense to me.

SC State maybe? Elloree is supposed to be nice. They also have access to Lake Marion. I'm not sure what else it could be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it's also the park they have there. I forgot the name of it, but I know they have some sort of rose festival every year and people come from all over to go to it.

Cool list...  I'm surprised to see Orangeburg so high on there...  Does anyone know what the draw there is?  I'm not too familiar with the area, except for a few band trips, so I'm just wondering why it would be in the top 10 counties for tourism.  The rest of the list makes sense to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O'burg is a large county in land area and has two interstates. Same for Florence, plus Florence is enroute to Myrtle Beach, for many tourist.

HAMMETTM, I believe you are referring to Edisto Gardens.

The homecomings of South Carolina State and Claflin Universities (primarily SC State) bring in LOTS of $$$ for Orangeburg. Also, Santee (which is in O'burg Cty) is located right on Lake Marion and has some nice outlets/restaurants right off I-95 (not to mention Santee State Park).

Edited by krazeeboi

I have often wondered where some of Greenville's areas get their names. Specifically I am talking about City View and Welcome. Does City View actually have a good veiw of the city? As for Welcome... I would welcome anyone's explanation on how that area's name came to be.

• 1 month later...

http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/04...t_3880229.shtml

This post concerns a particularly assinine article in the Augusta Chronicle today. It's a tiny issue, but I think it speaks a lot about the bigotry that is still rampant in the south today.

The article is about a simple sign in Downtown Aiken. As part of the "Adopt an Aiken Parkway" program (same as the national program), the Aiken Gay and Lesbian Community adopted a downtown parkway to pick up litter and keep it clean, etc. Since this has happened, the sign has been stolen and vandalised repeatedly. This is somewhat expected in the south, but the slant of the article, and the people quoted (mainly just one idiot) is quite an embarrasment to the whole area, which tends to have a fairly visible gay community.

Here are some snippets from the article: (I encourage you to read the whole thing just to see how idiotic some people still are).

"Allen Brodie, a former chairman of the county's Human Relations Board, said the city is promoting gay and lesbian lifestyles by erecting litter cleanup signs along Park Avenue that are sponsored by the "gay and lesbian community." "I do not believe (the sign) should be allowed in such a place of prominence," he said. "It's in the downtown district where children ask questions. We need to try and encourage the best quality of life we can." "

"Mr. Brodie, a past member of the Aiken County Council, insisted that moving the sign would not be discrimination. It's unfair, he said, to force taxpayers to pay for the signs, which are purchased by the city.

Mr. Brodie said he didn't mind parkway signs sponsored by groups such as the Garden, Rotary or Sertoma clubs. But the gay and lesbian sponsorship of a parkway crosses the line and becomes a moral issue, he said.

"This sign, to me, it falls in a different category," he added."

-- The article goes on to say that no action has been taken or complaints filed for this defacing of property, but the signs have been cleaned/replaced. Fortunately, it seems that city leaders and some community members at least have the brains to want the signs to remain. It's a complete embarrassment that a group can receive so much hatred just for wanting to help the city... It is a good sign however, IMO, that the GLBT community is willing to mobilize and get their name out there, especially attached to a relatively good cause.

-- The "evil" sign in question:

47042_256.jpg

I am actually rather surprised the town put up the sign and is replacing it as you pointed out. I think its very existence is a huge step forward and more than I would have given Aiken credit for before. Change takes time and this is real progress. Ten years ago, the word "gay" was utterly taboo in the state. Now the issue is out here being debated and confronted. Does SC have a long ways to go? Absolutely. But it is not 1980 or 1990 anymore. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no way to put her back in the bottle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is interesting timing. I am going to the 15th anniversary banquet of the South Carolina Gay and Lesbian Pride Movement on Friday night. The gay community in South Carolina has come a long way since our first public event 15 years ago, but there is still a long way to go. Most people don't know that Columbia has one of the most active communities for a city its size in the country. For a small town, Aiken has a pretty active community, too.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more backlash in the Augusta Chronicle editorials or Rants and Raves (basically Editorialz 4 dummies). So far there's only been 3 reader responses, and 2 have been in support in the GL community. I did think the one negative response was humorous enough to post here... Really, what are editors thinking when they print this dribble in their newspapers...

"A RANT ABOUT the homosexual signs in Aiken. They should be removed by anybody who will. The best way a homosexual could clean up a community is to leave it and leave us straight people alone."

I'm sure there will be more idiotic comments to come, but it's good to see that some people are actually writing in with support (including a lady who I think was a former teacher of mine).

• 3 months later...

General Westmoreland died today. He was a commander during the Vietnam War. Some trivia about him: you probably are unaware, much as I was until today, that he was born and raised in Pacolet, SC. He is one of SC's claims to fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it).

General Westmoreland died today. He was a commander during the Vietnam War. Some trivia about him: you probably are unaware, much as I was until today, that he was born and raised in Pacolet, SC. He is one of SC's claims to fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartanburg High School grad as well :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

This is something that I've been wondering for a while about some SC counties.

It seems that several of your major cities (with the exception of a couple like Columbia and Myrtle Beach) share their names with the county they're located in (i.e. Spartanburg and Spartanburg County, Charleston and Charleston County, etc.). Is this just some coincidence, or were the names planned this way?

Edited by ironchapman

This is something that I've been wondering for a while about some SC counties.

It seems that several of your major cities (with the exception of a couple like Columbia and Myrtle Beach) share their names with the county they're located in (i.e. Spartanburg and Spartanburg County, Charleston and Charleston County, etc.). Is this just some coincidence, or were the names planned this way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

Never really wondered why... but now i'm intrigued!

I have often wondered the same thing. I have never been able to determine a 100% accurate answer to that, but here is what I have determined-

This situation is true for all SC counties except the following

County, County Seat

• Oconee, Walhalla
  • Marlboro, Bennettsville
  • Colleton, Walterboro
  • Jasper, Ridgeland
  • Williamsburg, Kingstree
  • Clarendon, Manning
  • Richland, Columbia
  • Kershaw, Camden
  • Cherokee, Gaffney
  • Calhoun, St Matthews
  • Dorchester, St George
  • Fairfield, Winnsboro

It was probably intentional. Our counties evolved from old voting & court districts, which were usually ended up being county seats and our larger cities. Spartanburg is a prime example of this. My hometown developed around a court house, jail, and a spring, and 2 acre public space that we now know as Morgan Square.

Anyway, as counties were added, they were often added and named for the city that the court was to be in. Counties along the coast had more established names and usually remained. Colleton, Clarendon, Williamsburg, Berkeley, Georgetown, and of course Charleston, Ashley and Cooper, and St Mathews are all names associated with the Lords Proprietors and the original Anglican Church Parishes.

Our previous districts followed a similar pattern in being named for the town: Nintey-Six, Pendleton, Pinkney, Cheraw, Camden...

Many of these odd counties counties are named for important South Carolinians (governors, statesmen, Lords Proprietors..). for example:

• Oconee and Cherokee are named for Indians.
  • Calhoun County - Gov. John C Calhoun
  • Clarendon County -Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, Lord Proprietor
  • Dorchester County- Dorchester, Massachusetts
  • Williamsburg - King William III of England
  • Jasper County- Sergeant William Jasper
  • Colleton -Sir John Colleton, Lord Proprietor

The list can go on, but you get the idea.

Horry County is missing from the list, which was named in honor of Revolutionary War hero, Brigadier General Peter Horry. The county seat is Conway.

It's interesting, because I asked the exact opposite in regards to NC counties; as a matter of fact, some of the counties actually share names with cities not located in the county (e.g., Asheville is not in Ashe County, etc.).

Horry County is missing from the list, which was named in honor of Revolutionary War hero, Brigadier General Peter Horry. The county seat is Conway.

It's interesting, because I asked the exact opposite in regards to NC counties; as a matter of fact, some of the counties actually share names with cities not located in the county (e.g., Asheville is not in Ashe County, etc.).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same is true in several Texas counties.