SC Off Topic

Spartan

Lieutenant governor candidate Mike Campbell said Tuesday the position he's running for should become an extension of the governor's office and take on more responsibilities. He also thinks that the governor and lieutenant governor should run on the same ticket and not be elected separately.

Candidate for lieutenant governor wants to restructure position

I don't think so. Article IV, Section 8 of the state constitution says, "A Lieutenant Governor shall be chosen at the same time, in the same manner, continue in office for the same period, and be possessed of the same qualifications as the Governor." I've seen nothing at all mandating that the governor and lieutenant governor run on separate tickets.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

General Westmoreland died today. He was a commander during the Vietnam War. Some trivia about him: you probably are unaware, much as I was until today, that he was born and raised in Pacolet, SC. He is one of SC's claims to fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it).

I was told he was denied membership to the Carolina Yacht Club.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to mention this here, since I don't think it would generate a lot of discussion in its own thread.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness has completed its first comprehensive state-by-state analysis of mental health care systems. Our fair state earned the highest grade achieved of any of the states, a B. Only four other states received B's (none of them in the South). The national average is a D.

^that is great

Its scary seeing those people darting across the street in Manhattan and then scream at you for no reason thinking teh automobile is satan or something. Happend to me once when i was riding the taxi then the driver yelled obscene lanuage to scare the nutcase off. Only in New York City

• 3 weeks later...

Changing topics,

According to an email back from the SCDOT, there will be NO EZ-Pass in the near future for the two toll road facilities. This is even after i emailed them telling them that NC will be signing onto EZ-Pass whenever the first toll roads pop up in the state. Many northern states participate with EZPass.

At this time, South Carolina has two toll facilities, which are interoperable with each other through the Palmetto Pass program. It is not cost efficient at this time to be a member of EZ Pass. As the toll industry develops in the state, EZ Pass will be investigated. Thank you for your inquiry.

Anna C Salvagin

Toll Operations Manager

interoperable - able to exchange and use information

Edited by Jerseyman4

Changing topics,

According to an email back from the SCDOT, there will be NO EZ-Pass in the near future for the two toll road facilities. This is even after i emailed them telling them that NC will be signing onto EZ-Pass whenever the first toll roads pop up in the state. Many northern states participate with EZPass.

At this time, South Carolina has two toll facilities, which are interoperable with each other through the Palmetto Pass program. It is not cost efficient at this time to be a member of EZ Pass. As the toll industry develops in the state, EZ Pass will be investigated. Thank you for your inquiry.

Anna C Salvagin

Toll Operations Manager

interoperable - able to exchange and use information

hmmmm, do you think this will hurt ridership?

hmmmm, do you think this will hurt ridership?

I presume you are not familar of what EZPass is. Its a multi-state toll collection agency. EZPass started in the NYC metro area but expanded into nearby metro areas. EZPass has so far consolidated with Fast Lane (Massachusetts), M-Pass (Maryland), Smart Tag (Virginia) and IPass (Illinois). The triangle is very interested in adopting EZpass for their toll roads which will prompt other projects throughout the state to implement it for seamless travel. Im aware of Palmetto Pass' existence for a while, just like the other aforementioned states but it would make sense at some point to allow EZPass holders use the toll facilities in the state. The same would go for SC residents leaving the state going to the states that have EZPass as well. With all said, this will definatly not hurt ridership.

In this age, it does not make sense to have independant toll collection companies at least east of the Mississpippi. You know who you are (FLORIDA) .

Edited by Jerseyman4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What do you all think about the possible suspension of the 16 cent state gas tax in order to save consumers an estimated 130M between memorial dya and labor day? It looks like it will pass. I personally do not think it is a good idea. We certainly need some gas price relief, but I would rather it come at the expense of the oil companies. 16 cents is not going to help the average person much at all, but the state will miss out on over 130 M. I think that money should be spent on highway projects, hiring more patrolman, or one of a hundred different things. All we ever hear about is how short of money the state is and how it cannot afford road projects. If that is true, then go ahead and cut property taxes, but I think our roads need this money much more than we need 20 or 30 dollars that we can blow at walmart.

I just assume keep paying it, but allocate the $130 million for SCDOT to fix some roads.

Keep in mind that this state is notorious for spending the least amount of money on roads. Just last year, SC ranked 48th in highway spending. Considering how many roads and highways go through this state, I think that fact is deplorable. Also, SC is a donor state in relation to other taxes collected from gas. Unless this has changed, SC still has a percentage of gas taxes which are donated to NC and GA. Needless to say, that makes me :sick:

The situation that ChasNAtive is referring to is from the Federal gas tax. This is about the State gas tax. This is an election year ploy that needs to be scratched. Hopefully, the Senate will do that.

BTW, the governor wanted it for the summer months, Memorial Day to Labor Day, the House passed a version for Oct. through December. That way election day is covered.