SC Off Topic

Spartan

Considering how many roads and highways go through this state, I think that fact is deplorable.

I heard a couple years ago that SC has the fourth largest highway system in the country, that's total miles, NOT per capita. If they are 48th in spending then no wonder we have so many problems and our highways and interstates are always playing catch up with their expansions. Man, this state can be frustrating sometimes!

^ exactly. However, in other states, the roads may not be state owned, but they still have to be maintained. The money just goes to the counties instead. I'm not saying our way is the best, but that other states still have to pay a lot of money.

I have noticed small town pages popping up such as Cheraw, Bennettsville, Aiken and Manning that are off the top of my head (haha most are from me :rofl: ). As an idea, could these pages be moved onto a seperate forum (like Chas, Cola and GSA do) so people can contribute to the small town pages for photography as well as start new town pages?

What do you all think about the possible suspension of the 16 cent state gas tax in order to save consumers an estimated 130M between memorial dya and labor day? It looks like it will pass. I personally do not think it is a good idea. We certainly need some gas price relief, but I would rather it come at the expense of the oil companies. 16 cents is not going to help the average person much at all, but the state will miss out on over 130 M. I think that money should be spent on highway projects, hiring more patrolman, or one of a hundred different things. All we ever hear about is how short of money the state is and how it cannot afford road projects. If that is true, then go ahead and cut property taxes, but I think our roads need this money much more than we need 20 or 30 dollars that we can blow at walmart.

A temporary suspension of the gas tax is fine with me because the state has received over $900 million in additional tax revenue this year. The state has paid off its debts from the economic downturn and a temporary suspension of the tax on gasoline This will mean the state will have about $100 less in revenue and it is a ploy to shrink the size of government by proposing something that most in the legislature really cannot oppose.

On the plus side, it will help the state's economy by allowing the consumer to make other economic choices that help other industries. It will shrink government and grow the ecomony, sounds like a winning idea to me and it appears headed for easy passage.

People complain about the "entitlement mentality" of both the poor and corporate citizen. In my opinion, the temporary elimination of gas tax is just an extension of this mentality and it serves no purpose other than being a political ploy. Gas prices, for the long-term, are going up. The sooner people realize that, they better.

I have no problem with reducing taxes, but find some other way to do it. If anything, politicians should be going out of their way to take measures to inspire conservation, i.e., not putting gas "on sale." If the concern of having too much money in the governmental coffers is that much of an issue and there is a need to actually something meaningful, offer one-year tax incentive for people who drive less (may be too difficult logistically) or put that funding aside for future transit systems. Hell, using that money as a tax credit for people who purchase bicycles in the state would be a better use of the funding.

That South Financial deal is really starting to open other doors for us. The article said that the company isn't looking at Greenville County; I wonder if it has its eye on another part of the Upstate, or perhaps the Pee Dee, Midlands, or Lowcountry?

My guess is that this company is looking at the Upstate, but not Greenville proper. Probably Anderson, since their state Rep. (Dan Cooper) is quoted. Probably near to Gville but in Anderson County.

Just conjecture on my part though.

Like the way the writer refers to downtown Greenville:

" It's in midsized cities like Greenville, S.C., where the Main Street district is a wireless zone with restaurants that offer microbrews and vegetarian burritos, and downtown condos that sell for as much as $700,000. "

Off topic.....I HATE political signs :angry: They trash our cities and highways :sick: There are dozens just on the corner of Blossom and Huger and from the looks of it, they all seem to be Republican. Is there a Democrat running for anything?

Edited by BrasilnSC