SC Off Topic

Spartan

The Republican Primary is June 13, so thats why you're seeing so many. I'm not sure when the Democrat's is.

All parties have their primaries on June 13. Most of the statewide offices have multiple candidates on the GOP side, only the race for Governor on the Dem. side has multiple candidates.

Remember y'all, vote early and often! :silly:

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

This is my two cents on the piedmont topic. The scenery around Gville changes quite dramatically as you drive around. Think of intersections like Pelham and Haywood. It has great views of the mountains, especially Glassy. Or how about Rutherford and Stallings, going north on WHR and 276. Or take a drive up N Main st and the surrounding neighborhoods and feel how foothilly it really is. I have never gotten these same impressions or views in other parts of the state. That is not to say other parts don't have hills, or could not be considered to be part of the "piedmont", just that no other part of the state has the set up that Gville and the surounding areas have. To me, this is what distinguishes the upstate from other parts of the state, and what gives it any authority to bill itself as "The Gateway to the Appalachians."

I was reading a great insert by the Greenville Chamber of Commerce in today's Greenville News, and it had some great reports on why people are talking about the city and why it is gaining even more attention nationwide, as well as globally. They say that it is the "BUZZ" being created by many residents and newcomers to the area that is the main reason for the rapid growth in attention. Taking a close look at a few of the major events shows how important Greenville's close proximity to the mountains has been in attracting much of its success. Recently, CNNMoney.com said this of Greenville, after choosing the city as one of their "top 7 summer destinations that won't break the bank":

Greenville, at the gateway to South Carolina's mountain wilderness areas, is also fun for outdoor enthusiasts who want to enjoy nearby lakes and mountain trails.
Hotwire.com also rates Greenville as #2 overall in its travelers list of "best places for bargains." They say:
This lush hideaway also boasts low-priced attractions and natural amenities that include bike trails surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Also attracted by the foothills and mountains of the Greenville area is the USA Pro Cycling Championship races, to be held on Labor Day Weekend. This is no small event! It is the premiere race in the nation, where the champion of cycling in the U.S.A. will be crowned.

The Cliffs Communities have sponsered many high-profile events in Greenville over the years, but none has been more well known than the BMW Charity Pro-Am golf tournament, the premiere stop of the PGA Nationwide Tour. Each course is located in the foothills and mountains, offering celebrities, pros, and spectators absolutely stunning views of South Carolina's natural beauty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was reading a great insert by the Greenville Chamber of Commerce in today's Greenville News, and it had some great reports on why people are talking about the city and why it is gaining even more attention nationwide, as well as globally. They say that it is the "BUZZ" being created by many residents and newcomers to the area that is the main reason for the rapid growth in attention. Taking a close look at a few of the major events shows how important Greenville's close proximity to the mountains has been in attracting much of its success. Recently, CNNMoney.com said this of Greenville, after choosing the city as one of their "top 7 summer destinations that won't break the bank":

Hotwire.com also rates Greenville as #2 overall in its travelers list of "best places for bargains." They say:

Also attracted by the foothills and mountains of the Greenville area is the USA Pro Cycling Championship races, to be held on Labor Day Weekend. This is no small event! It is the premiere race in the nation, where the champion of cycling in the U.S.A. will be crowned.

The Cliffs Communities have sponsered many high-profile events in Greenville over the years, but none has been more well known than the BMW Charity Pro-Am golf tournament, the premiere stop of the PGA Nationwide Tour. Each course is located in the foothills and mountains, offering celebrities, pros, and spectators absolutely stunning views of South Carolina's natural beauty.

I absolutely love the terrain and scenic beauty of Greenville and the surrounding county. Along with the scenic driving opportunities and outdoor activities like hiking and camping Greenville really has a lot to offer the outdoor enthuist like myself and is one of the things that I miss most about living there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, here's an interesting tidbit coming out of the Times and Democrat, Orangeburg's daily.

Supposedly, the crescent moon of our beloved state flag may not actually be that at all. It may actually be a gorget, an ornamental piece of armor designed to protect the throat. A gorget is a holdover from the medieval era, when European knights wore full-body armor. The armor protected the knight during actual combat or tournaments against other knights.

The article also says that the palmetto tree on today's flag wasn't added until Jan. 28, 1861. Up to that date, the flag was simply a blue field with either a gorget or crescent, depending on your view. Also, some say that the flag's origins go back to 1765, when the blue flag had three crescents, allegedly to protest the Stamp Act.

Very interesting stuff.

Hmmm, here's an interesting tidbit coming out of the Times and Democrat, Orangeburg's daily.

Supposedly, the crescent moon of our beloved state flag may not actually be that at all. It may actually be a gorget, an ornamental piece of armor designed to protect the throat. A gorget is a holdover from the medieval era, when European knights wore full-body armor. The armor protected the knight during actual combat or tournaments against other knights.

The article also says that the palmetto tree on today's flag wasn't added until Jan. 28, 1861. Up to that date, the flag was simply a blue field with either a gorget or crescent, depending on your view. Also, some say that the flag's origins go back to 1765, when the blue flag had three crescents, allegedly to protest the Stamp Act.

Very interesting stuff.

The Orangeburg paper is correct about the flag. Popular misconceptions got in the way of its history.

During some portions of the flag's early history, it had the crescent, blue field and the word Liberty written on the bottom in large letters as well.

• 1 month later...

USC is raising funds to add an upper deck in north end zone. I think that will add about 10,000 seats. No start date has been set for construction to my knowledge.

That's a lot of seats. I wonder if gamecock fans will be able to fill that up. With the current program I can't imagine too many people getting too excited about sending money. Sounds to be a long way out. Good nonetheless, though, for Columbia

Williams-Brice Stadium fills up when we are 0-11. Yeah, it does clear out fairly early at times, but that's a different story. There are so many people I know that desperatly want but can't find tickets, I'm sure we will have no problem filling an extra 10,000 seats. The record attendance is 85,000, set in 2001 when USC beat Clemson 20-15. Our current program is young, recruiting is key to building a successful program, and I hope Steve Spurrier can deliver.

Clemson's west endzone looks great by the way. I'm just surprised that an upper deck wasn't built. I guess they didn't want to completely block the view of the lake.

Edited by BrasilnSC

That's a lot of seats. I wonder if gamecock fans will be able to fill that up. With the current program I can't imagine too many people getting too excited about sending money. Sounds to be a long way out. Good nonetheless, though, for Columbia

Man!! USC has alot of faithful followers.Everyone knows USC is a young team and even when the gamecocks where losing every game the crowd attendance never went down. I'm constantly hearing about people who are never able to find tickets. I think the needed additional 10,000 seats will do just fine.

Glad to hear it. If they can fill it, go for it. Hopefully with this side they will do better with the design so that they fans can see the end zone...

Clemson got a $1million donation to the West End Zone's next phases from the 1981 Championship team this past Saturday. Does anyone know anymore about the next phases? I heard on News 4 that it would consist of an office tower among other things....? Can anyone elaborate?

If only the Gamecocks would start winning more games in Columbia so the fans will stay until the 4th quarter. I hope Steve Spurrier gets the boys whipped into shape, because they really have great potential. I love hearing about additions to our stadiums in this state. That should indicate an upswing in the growth of the schools' noteriety. :thumbsup:

Edited by Skyliner

If only the Gamecocks would start winning more games in Columbia so the fans will stay until the 4th quarter. I hope Steve Spurrier gets the boys whipped into shape, because they really have great potential. I love hearing about additions to our stadiums in this state. That should indicate an upswing in the growth of the schools' noteriety. :thumbsup:

Hmmm. For this season were 3-1 and Georgia was a tough match up. But just as I said before the team is young and they have alot of work cut out for them.

Yes, that game on Thursday against Auburn should be interesting. :P

Indeed.

Its true that we are 3-1, but we have not played very well so far this year, and Auburn is ranked number 2. Things don't look good for thursday night, but I will be routing for my Gamecocks all the way. I am optimistic though... not because we beat FAU, but because we beat them at the same level as the past 3 teams that FAU played. I hope Spurrier used that opportunity for some good practice.

Anyway, this is good info. I wasn't sure if the west end zone actually added capacity or not (though most would assume that it did). I have a general question for anyone who cares to answer it: why are there random orange seats in Clemson's stadium? I have never been able to figure that one out.

Anyway, this is good info. I wasn't sure if the west end zone actually added capacity or not (though most would assume that it did). I have a general question for anyone who cares to answer it: why are there random orange seats in Clemson's stadium? I have never been able to figure that one out.

Season ticket holders are allowed to purchase seat cushions with backs for their seats for additional cost. They remain there all season.

Williams-Brice Stadium fills up when we are 0-11. Yeah, it does clear out fairly early at times, but that's a different story. There are so many people I know that desperatly want but can't find tickets, I'm sure we will have no problem filling an extra 10,000 seats. The record attendance is 85,000, set in 2001 when USC beat Clemson 20-15. Our current program is young, recruiting is key to building a successful program, and I hope Steve Spurrier can deliver.

Clemson's west endzone looks great by the way. I'm just surprised that an upper deck wasn't built. I guess they didn't want to completely block the view of the lake.

The West Endzone was built so it could be expanded at a future date with an upper deck. What has been built is the first of hopefully three phases. The second phase will not be as dramatic on the outside, as all football operations and a University musuem will be moved and built into the facility. A potential third phase would include the expansion of a second deck onto the stadium but only if the demand and money exist.

Bonds have to be paid back for the first phase before any movement towards a second phase can take place.

And for what it's worth, the West End Zone construction actually lowered the seating capacity of Death Valley by about 2,000 or so. The largest crowd to watch a game in Death Valley is around 86,000+. With the removal of the last few rows of the old West End Zone stands and new fire marshall regulations about the standing room only areas, I would expect the largest crowd in Death Valley now to be about 84,000 fans