SC Off Topic

Spartan

Season ticket holders are allowed to purchase seat cushions with backs for their seats for additional cost. They remain there all season.

From having sat in one the last couple of season, they are not really comfortable, and if you have longer legs, you'll spend most of the game trying not to put your knees in the back of the guy in front of you.

I wish Winthrop would get a football team.

I asked a Winthrop official last year sometime what it would take for Winthrop to get, say a I-AA level program. His answer was lots of money, otherwise it is not a topic really under consideration.

For those that don't know, Winthrop sits next to a large high school football stadium with plenty of parking and fitting it towards college standards can be done. But unless Winthrop has a benefactor like the Hooters CEO who can drop millions on a program, it will not happen any time in the near future.

Edited by whitehourseview

And for what it's worth, the West End Zone construction actually lowered the seating capacity of Death Valley by about 2,000 or so. The largest crowd to watch a game in Death Valley is around 86,000+. With the removal of the last few rows of the old West End Zone stands and new fire marshall regulations about the standing room only areas, I would expect the largest crowd in Death Valley now to be about 84,000 fans

I'm not sure about the new fire marshall regs, but I would think that if 83,000 tickets can be sold to a UNC blowout, it shouldn't be hard getting over 84,000 in there. Georgia Tech is already sold out and only a few tickets remain for La Tech... We'll just have to wait and see how many people fit for the GT game.

I asked a Winthrop official last year sometime what it would take for Winthrop to get, say a I-AA level program. His answer was lots of money, otherwise it is not a topic really under consideration.

For those that don't know, Winthrop sits next to a large high school football stadium with plenty of parking and fitting it towards college standards can be done. But unless Winthrop has a benefactor like the Hooters CEO who can drop millions on a program, it will not happen any time in the near future.

Well, right now, any benefactor that would have anything like that to give to the university is hardly interested in establishing a football team at the university, as Winthrop was formerly an all-girls school and has only been co-ed for about 30 years now. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later though.

Well, right now, any benefactor that would have anything like that to give to the university is hardly interested in establishing a football team at the university, as Winthrop was formerly an all-girls school and has only been co-ed for about 30 years now. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later though.

The growth and immediate success of the Coastal Carolina football program, having only been around about 4 years or so, might help someone see some value in that. But unless the Close family or someone like that donates, it won't happen because it is not a priority for the administration for any point in the future

That's a lot of seats. I wonder if gamecock fans will be able to fill that up. With the current program I can't imagine too many people getting too excited about sending money. Sounds to be a long way out. Good nonetheless, though, for Columbia

A few years ago I would have said yes, they would be able to fill it up. But tickets are now 35 bucks each. That means that a family of 4 will spend about $200 including parking, gas, and a drink. That is waaaay too much for a college football game, IMO, especially one that is historically .500. Just a few years ago tickets were only $22, that at least was reasonable.

I'm not sure about the new fire marshall regs, but I would think that if 83,000 tickets can be sold to a UNC blowout, it shouldn't be hard getting over 84,000 in there. Georgia Tech is already sold out and only a few tickets remain for La Tech... We'll just have to wait and see how many people fit for the GT game.

They did sell out to th UNC game, but 1) it was parents weekend - extra people- and 2) there were a lot of empty seats in the upper deck, and more than i expected in the lower deck, though it was still packed.

A few years ago I would have said yes, they would be able to fill it up. But tickets are now 35 bucks each. That means that a family of 4 will spend about $200 including parking, gas, and a drink. That is waaaay too much for a college football game, IMO, especially one that is historically .500. Just a few years ago tickets were only $22, that at least was reasonable.

I think the higher prices reflect the higher level of performance. "Historically .500" is now changing into much better percentages on a regular basis. Those coaches are excellent for this school. :thumbsup:

$35 for most games, but the price is higher for big games. It was $45 for the Georgia game (some people were paying 100+ for them) and also for the Auburn game. I think it is getting too expensive, but people will pay.

If Williams-Brice does add extra seats, I'm sure the school will boost up the number of students tickets handed out. Right now it is at around 10,000 which is definitely not enough.

Edited by BrasilnSC

Indeed.

Its true that we are 3-1, but we have not played very well so far this year, and Auburn is ranked number 2. Things don't look good for thursday night, but I will be routing for my Gamecocks all the way. I am optimistic though... not because we beat FAU, but because we beat them at the same level as the past 3 teams that FAU played. I hope Spurrier used that opportunity for some good practice.

I would like to congratulate the Gamecocks for a game well played. We lost, but just barely. Auburn had a few fortunate plays, but Carolina played will against the #2 team in the nation, and they showed me that they are still a force to be reckoned with. Go 'Cocks!

I would like to congratulate the Gamecocks for a game well played. We lost, but just barely. Auburn had a few fortunate plays, but Carolina played will against the #2 team in the nation, and they showed me that they are still a force to be reckoned with. Go 'Cocks!

Yeah, but you still didn't win. Can you tell i'm a Clemson fan. :lol: I will say though that the Gamecocks played a lot better than I thought they would of and played a hard, fought battle. Also, Clemson gave a whoopin to Louisiana Tech. :thumbsup:

Edited by cdude9409

Yeah, but you still didn't win. Can you tell i'm a Clemson fan. :lol: I will say though that the Gamecocks played a lot better than I thought they would of and played a hard, fought battle. Also, Clemson gave a whoopin to Louisiana Tech. :thumbsup:

lol we didn't win :lol: . But Louisiana Tech was like taking candy from a baby. They aren't anybody. I'm glad to see both Carolina teams doing fairly well this year.

I saw the Clemson--LA Tech score last night and was, "What the...?"

it was a whoopin', but probably the most fun game we've had all year at home. The crowd's excitement didn't go away like it did against UNC and FAU. I'm ready for a challenge at home, no more of these 40+ point wins. Although the FREE TACOS are good. :)

Clemson football is for real this year. They could have easily scored over 70 points in that last game, but the last time the starters played was early in the 3rd quarter. Did anyone notice that the 4th-string running back had over 100 yards rushing?! I don't know of any other tam in the nation with so much depth in one position. If not for losing so many veteran starters on defense to injury, Clemson could easily be ranked in the top 10 right now. :thumbsup:

The Gamecocks did impress me by their performance against Auburn. I just hope they carry that enthusiasm on to the next several games this season. Those losses, while impressive and encouraging, can also be emotionally straining. There is no doubt much of that improvement is a direct result of great coaching. Thumbs up for the performance, and good luck against the rest of the SEC. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Since this seems to be the home to Clemson football discussion, I figured I should let y'all know...

ESPN College GameDay is coming to Clemson for the Clemson/GT game. This is the first time Gameday has been to Clemson. :yahoo:

source

The ENTIRE student body is pumped for this! It's going to be such an awesome backdrop having the huge colorful displays and thousands of orange clad Clemson fans. ESPN's College Gameday will have NEVER experience an atmosphere this exciting and it's going to set a new standard for future hosts to match up to. The spotlight will be shining bright on South Carolina, unrivaled traditions, and a great match up!!! :yahoo:

Hah, I'm just interested to see how they manage cram the Gameday crowd onto Bowman, which is already going to be rediculously packed with other homecoming festivities. I may have to wander over there and check out the insanity! I'll be easy to spot... I'll the guy who isnt wearing orange :P

I'm glad that Clemson will finally get the Gameday spotlight :) This will definitely be exciting.

Hah, I'm just interested to see how they manage cram the Gameday crowd onto Bowman, which is already going to be rediculously packed with other homecoming festivities. I may have to wander over there and check out the insanity! I'll be easy to spot... I'll the guy who isnt wearing orange :P

I'm glad that Clemson will finally get the Gameday spotlight :) This will definitely be exciting.

As far as crowd goes, it will be a good thing that Gameday will be from 10 to 12 in the morning, and that the game will be at 7:45 that evening. Most of the drive up crowd won't be there at 10 in the morning, it will mostly be students, so that will probably help making the crowd manageable.

I'm driving up myself at about 3 PM, so I guess I'll catch it on TV, if I'm not running errands Saturday morning.

You won't partake in the action? BOOOOO :lol: You'll be sporting orange before you know it. It's Contagious! I hope you atleast mute your tv, open a window to listen, and watch the game. This crowd will be insane! 4 days!!! :yahoo:

As far as crowd goes, it will be a good thing that Gameday will be from 10 to 12 in the morning, and that the game will be at 7:45 that evening. Most of the drive up crowd won't be there at 10 in the morning, it will mostly be students, so that will probably help making the crowd manageable.

I'm driving up myself at about 3 PM, so I guess I'll catch it on TV, if I'm not running errands Saturday morning.

I didn't realize it was that early in the morning haha, so no I won't be there. I don't plan on getting up that early :)

You won't partake in the action? BOOOOO :lol: You'll be sporting orange before you know it. It's Contagious! I hope you atleast mute your tv, open a window to listen, and watch the game. This crowd will be insane! 4 days!!! :yahoo:

Nah I've built up an immunity to that orange thing that this town is so fond of. I've been year over a year now... I'll be tailgating though. Thats always fun :)