SC Off Topic

Spartan

ESPN is heading to UNC this weekend?

It's not "Carolina" anywhere else in the country except within a 50 miles radius of Columbia. Same goes for USC. It's South Carolina, period.

In South Carolina and among graduates of the University of South Carolina, "Carolina" and "USC" largely refer to the state's flagship university. And you should recognize that you are on the SOUTH CAROLINA forum, not the "anywhere else in the country" forum. So please, stop making an issue out of a non-issue; it's not a good way to introduce yourself to UP, seeing as though you only have a grand total of two postings.

ESPN is heading to UNC this weekend?

It's not "Carolina" anywhere else in the country except within a 50 miles radius of Columbia. Same goes for USC. It's South Carolina, period.

No, UNC has a horrible football team, I'd be very surprised to see Gameday go there.

Pretty much everyone in this state, except for maybe the occasional transplant, refers to the University of South Carolina - Columbia as USC or Carolina. Even die hard Clemson fans say "man I really hate Carolina" and while that may apply to both schools, 99% of the time they mean USC - trust me... So far as I've been able to tell this is true in all corners of our state. Also, watch the game on ESPN and listen to the anouncers call USC "Carolina." Thats just how it is.

I didn't even know that UNC was also called 'Carolina' until I was well into high school. Hah, I distinctly remember watching the Charlotte news and hearing the anchor talk about how some guy went to Carolina. I just assumed he was talking about USC, and in my ignorance at the time appreciated how connected together our two states are.

Besides all of that, UNC does not deserve that name any more than we do. In this state, and many other places they are North Carolina, period.

^In Charlotte, although "Carolina" usually means UNC in my experiences, it could just as easily mean USC, as I see more NC tags with USC's emblem than with UNC's emblem. Even one of my former co-workers who is from Charlotte (he lives in Fort Mill now) and an alumnus of UNC refers to the annual Clemson-University of South Carolina showdown as the "Clemson-Carolina" game.

Jefferson-Pilot sports commentators sure don't have a problem referring to the University of South Carolina as "Carolina"--and Jefferson-Pilot Sports is based in Greensboro.

You know it is so trivial that I never paid much attention to it. Both schools have shortened the names for their jerseys so what is the big deal. I guess I should ask a Virginian or a Dakotan if they cared if the other state only used the short version. I would think no one in Virginia would like it much but in all honesty the two state are so different that it wouldn't happen. In our case NC and SC are so much alike that the names North and South are just cardinal directions but as far as culture and general direction of the region the name Carolina means the same thing actually. I say lets go ahead and erase the state line and become one state AGAIN....

It would definitely be one of the largest and most varied states in many respects. It's funny because sometimes it's not hard to see how we were one state at one point (to me at least), and in other respects it's kind of hard to believe. For instance, NC is a big college basketball state, whereas college football pretty much dominates SC. We bask in the football atmosphere around this time, whereas NCers can't wait to get it over with (the Panthers may be the only exception). :)

Edited by krazeeboi

It's not about losing your ties with your school. It's just a shorter way to refer to the University of South Carolina, not that big of a deal. Everyone around here and throughout the state say Carolina Gamecocks. Fans will always cheer U-S-C, U-S-C and C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A Goooo Cocks.

MSU, is that Mississippi State or Michigan State.

The Tigers, is that Clemson, Auburn, or LSU

:rolleyes:

Edited by BrasilnSC

^In Charlotte, although "Carolina" usually means UNC in my experiences, it could just as easily mean USC, as I see more NC tags with USC's emblem than with UNC's emblem. Even one of my former co-workers who is from Charlotte (he lives in Fort Mill now) and an alumnus of UNC refers to the annual Clemson-University of South Carolina showdown as the "Clemson-Carolina" game.

Jefferson-Pilot sports commentators sure don't have a problem referring to the University of South Carolina as "Carolina"--and Jefferson-Pilot Sports is based in Greensboro.

Depends on which Lincoln Financial broadcast you are watching. College sports, even in the age of ESPN attention, is still largely a regional game. No one in Pac-10 territory is confused when you refer to USC. They think the Trojans.

If you are watching Lincoln Financial's SEC broadcasts, then Carolina refers to the chickens. If you are watching the ACC Lincoln Financial ACC broadcasts, Carolina refers to the ink spots. And if you are watching Lincoln Financial at all, you are probably watching the bottom of the barrel in football in either conference.

Edited by whitehourseview

I will never refer to the Gamecocks as "Carolina." Funny how people there would like to lose their "South Carolina" ties by dropping the "South" out of the TRUE name.

So I assume you treat North Carolina in the same manner?

I agree with others, its not about losing the 'south' part of it. Its no different than referring to a state college in one's home state as 'State' (which is done in pretty much any state than has a _____ State University), the same applies to 'Tech' schools. We ALL do that for our local technical colleges in SC.

Depends on which Lincoln Financial broadcast you are watching. College sports, even in the age of ESPN attention, is still largely a regional game. No one in Pac-10 territory is confused when you refer to USC. They think the Trojans.

It's not just PAC-10 territroy that USC means Southern Cal. It's that way in the Midwest, South and Northeast as well. In Atlanta, Charlotte, or Miami, the SC game specifically means Southern Cal.

And in New York, LA, Dallas, Detroit, or even Toronto, when Carolina is playing, you are specifically talking about the Tarheels.

I realize that many conferences have only one 'State' or 'Tech,' and that there is only one team with Carolina in its name in the SEC. My point is simply that South Carolina should be referred to by its own unique name (most people who watch college football I know refer to them as the Cocks, which is a damn good name IMHO), not by monikors which are associated with other teams by 98%+ of the country.

You're missing the point. You're in the forum of the 2% of the country (your figure isn't scientific at all, but I'm just using it for the sake of argument) that DOES refer to the University of South Carolina as "Carolina," so it isn't causing any confusion and everyone posting here knows which team we're talking about, so please, Tar Heel, get over it and stop making a big deal about nothing.

Edited by krazeeboi

It's not just PAC-10 territroy that USC means Southern Cal. It's that way in the Midwest, South and Northeast as well. In Atlanta, Charlotte, or Miami, the SC game specifically means Southern Cal.

And in New York, LA, Dallas, Detroit, or even Toronto, when Carolina is playing, you are specifically talking about the Tarheels.

I realize that many conferences have only one 'State' or 'Tech,' and that there is only one team with Carolina in its name in the SEC. My point is simply that South Carolina should be referred to by its own unique name (most people who watch college football I know refer to them as the Cocks, which is a damn good name IMHO), not by monikors which are associated with other teams by 98%+ of the country.

Then by that mindset, I contend that Southern California, North Carolina, Mississppi, etc. should be called by their own unique names too. I am not infavor of showing favoritism towards these other places. USC was a well established institution of higher learning long before California was a even a state, and UNC is only 5 years older, which IMO is not really that big of a deal in the long run. I am just suggesting equality here, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

I cant find anything for what its criteria were for creating the list. My guess is that its a population base, so Greenville would probably be cut out based on that. I would want to look at the numbers too, because the difference between the worst and the 10th worst could be huge. I'd say its all relative anyway. There are certain parts of any city that you couldnt pay me to drive through. I'm sure that St Louis isn't happy about its newfound position at the top though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, which idiot put the Clemson/USC game at a noon start time instead of at night? Oh wait, ESPN. I'm not saying I hate ESPN. Actually, I like them, but I just wish they would of made it a night game instead.

For real. Noon games suck, but I'm sure that was done to get it on ESPN and avoid what happened last year.

For real. Noon games suck, but I'm sure that was done to get it on ESPN and avoid what happened last year.

Clemson had no choice about the start time of the game due to the ACC contract with ABC/ESPN. TV networks run the show, and everyone hops and says "yes, sir."

But this will mean that the last three home games at Clemson, and four total for the season, start at noon, which does make for a bit of a strain for folks coming from anywhere from a couple of hours or so away, especially with an extra 8 to 10,000 fans coming from the Midlands for USC.

Nothing really can be done about it, especially since the ACC just re-upped its TV contracts for the next four years or so.

^ lol, engineer

The fact that it's on Thanksgiving weekend is what irks me the most. Alot of students go home that weekend and will have to watch one of the, if not the biggest game of the season with their parents instead of being in the stands with their friends.

That first beer is going to go down real slow before the game.

Edited by BrasilnSC

• 3 weeks later...