SC Off Topic

Spartan

While I was in school in Florida, the Gov. created a healthy Florida campaign :shades: creating more gyms and fitness centers, creating discounts for gym memeberships, companies giving gym membersips, gyms giving retail privlages for memebership.

I know there are a great number of gyms here in Columbia, but not enough, IMO. And they dont stay open late. The gym I went to was a 24 hour gym. :yahoo: With your memebership card you could get discounts at plenty of restaurants, and clothing stores.

I think its time the gov. of sc took an active role in the health of its citizens. <_< Inscentives should be created to bring healthy eateries and stores to the area.

"Why is there only like 1 Tropical Smoothie in this area?" :blush:

While I was in school in Florida, the Gov. created a healthy Florida campaign :shades: creating more gyms and fitness centers, creating discounts for gym memeberships, companies giving gym membersips, gyms giving retail privlages for memebership.

I know there are a great number of gyms here in Columbia, but not enough, IMO. And they dont stay open late. The gym I went to was a 24 hour gym. :yahoo: With your memebership card you could get discounts at plenty of restaurants, and clothing stores.

I think its time the gov. of sc took an active role in the health of its citizens. <_< Inscentives should be created to bring healthy eateries and stores to the area.

"Why is there only like 1 Tropical Smoothie in this area?" :blush:

I know up here in Greenville there are at least a few nice fitness clubs/gyms that are open 24 hours per day. More of those would be welcome, and they are usually one of the first establishments to be built near higher-end residential developments around here, so I expect to see more.

I also heard on the evening news yesterday that McDonalds is testing actual gyms in a few locations and hopes to replace 5,500 of their stores' playgrounds with these. That would really be encouraging!

Edited by Skyliner

If we could get rid of The Beacon Restaurant in Spartanburg, I think we'd move up at least a few spots. :lol: I've never been to a diner more disgustingly unhealthy than that one. :sick:

But you've also never been to one that is that delicious! :D

I think it will take more that shutting down our state's traditions to fix the problem. The fried chicken and bbq staples will have to be toned down a bit though. I generally agree that the government could do more to promote healthier living. It think this is starting to be done locally with these active living campaigns. I know that in the Upstate, Greenville and Spartanburg have implemented bike paths, rail trails, and are working to futher enchance these facilities and the pedestrian environment. Gov. Sanfordbikes accross the state and does other things of that nature to promote healthy living... he can only do so much though.

I also think that it is not the government's responsibility to tell people how to eat. People should have enough sense to know that if you never exercise and all you eat is fast food, you are going to get fat. Sure you have a few people that can't help it and have real problems, but I think that a lot of it can be avoided with a proper diet. That is why having a strong and active urban core is critical. It can get people out and walking around while enjoying what they are doing. Excercise should not be a chore, it should be incorporated into daily activities. Is it a coincidence that the European population is less at than the American one?

The way our cities are built does not accomodate walking. You are starting to see smoe changes with these new urban village concepts... but these are not much more than glorified malls right now. But as residential areas are incorporated perhaps we can see the success of these areas and begin to change the places that people live in to encourage a better lifestyle.

Also, who would go to McDonald's to exercise? I mean, I appreciate the idea, but honestly I don't see it being overly successful.

I know up here in Greenville there are at least a few nice fitness clubs/gyms that are open 24 hours per day. More of those would be welcome, and they are usually one of the first establishments to be built near higher-end residential developments around here, so I expect to see more.

I also heard on the evening news yesterday that McDonalds is testing actual gyms in a few locations and hopes to replace 5,500 of their stores' playgrounds with these. That would really be encouraging!

After quickly checking around and speaking with a few colleagues, there are actually several 24-hour gyms in Greenville.

My favorite diners are not the greasey spoon type, but rather the ones that serve meat and vegetables that are not all fried. If you love the grease, The Beacon Restaurant is the place for you - but plan on stopping by the hospital afterwards for an artery pump. :lol:

After quickly checking around and speaking with a few colleagues, there are actually several 24-hour gyms in Greenville.

My favorite diners are not the greasey spoon type, but rather the ones that serve meat and vegetables that are not all fried. If you love the grease, The Beacon Restaurant is the place for you - but plan on stopping by the hospital afterwards for an artery pump. :lol:

Then you need to check out Spartanburg's other legendary eatery: Wade's Restaurant. Its the Spartanburg "equivilant" to Gene's Restaurant in Greenville, but its at least 20 times better if not more. If meat & 3 is your thing, Wade's is for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of this. I actually thought this type of organization was illegal, but its clearly not. It says serving SC since 1670, but its history says is was formed in the 1940s. Anyone have any info that could clarify that?

Well their website says this:

As World War II raged in Europe it was obvious to American military planners that the United States stood a good chance of becoming involved in the war. Should that occur, the National Guard would inevitably be ordered to active duty, leaving no military force to maintain order in the several states. To rectify this situation the National Defense Act of 3 June 1916 was amended on 21 October 1940 to allow the establishment of state defense forces. In South Carolina the enabling act was the Act Establishing the South Carolina Defense Force, signed into law by Governor Burnet R. Maybank on 21 March 1941.

ww2sm.gif (82722 bytes) The South Carolina Defense Force (SCDF) was organized into a Headquarters, four regiments of three battalions each, and at least one independent battalion. Initially those wishing to enlist or be commissioned had to be between the ages of 21 and 55, in good health, and of good character. The minimum age quickly fell to 17 and there are indications that a few men served at an even younger age. The uniform was to be Confederate Gray. This was changed to standard GI Olive Drab by 1943. The initial armament was the Model 1917 rifle, sometimes called the 1917 Enfield rifle. Later this changed to a mix of rifles, shotguns, Thompson sub machine guns, and a few larger weapons.

Still not sure what they do in this day and age. Homeland defense? Disaster relief? Looks like over 20 states have similar organizations.

Just wondering if anyone knew since I had never heard of this organization before.

Keven Cohen had a member on his radio show a few months ago. Mostly what they do now is assist the police when extra bodies are needed for duties like directing traffic at USC games, and helping with I-26 lane reversals during emergencies. I don't believe they get paid and they are all volunteers.

Is anyone familiar with the South Carolina State Guard? Note this is a different organization from the SC National Guard, this one has been around since colonial days.

I am in 3rd Light Coastal Brigade of the South Carolina State Guard. We train to assist the National Guard in the event of a natural or man-made disaster. The last call I received was for the Great Falls Fire this past summer. If you would like additional information, check out the 3rd Brigade's website:

http://3bde.scsg.org

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...