SC Off Topic

Spartan

Here's an article from Charleston's daily which goes to the heart of the matter concerning our high crime ranking. Pertinent excerpts:

State Law Enforcement Division Chief Robert Stewart said the number of major violent crimes decreased during the past 10 years and said he thinks the reason the state is so high on the list is because it does such a good job of reporting crimes compared with other states. "Being one of the best systems in the country, we're paying the price," he said...Stewart said South Carolina's reporting practices are generally regarded as some of the nation's best. The state participated in a pilot program in the 1980s that required all officers to write a report when they are called to a scene. It's still done to this day.

I could easily see this when looking at the FBI's data tables. The same could essentially be said of Tennessee, another state which reports the vast majority of its data.

I for one am willing to pay that price. I'd rather have a good reporting system and bad ratings than a bad reporting system and good ratings. That kind of information will come out sooner or later. Kind of like how Texas's education system gets high marks, but their tests aren't very hard.

I for one am willing to pay that price. I'd rather have a good reporting system and bad ratings than a bad reporting system and good ratings. That kind of information will come out sooner or later. Kind of like how Texas's education system gets high marks, but their tests aren't very hard.

I definitely agree. The downside to this, though, is that too many people take these types of things at face value.

• 1 month later...

Haha, yeah. I knew that would come up sooner or later. I did graduate from Clemson, and I've taken a job in Charlotte. Its one of those opportunities I just couldn't pass up.

Nice, which graduation where you at? I played at both of them (I was in Littlejohn from 8 - 5:30).. That was a long day.

The first one. It was cool to see Rudy Mancke, a fellow Spartan, as the speaker ;) I bet that WAS a long day... the first half of it was long enough for me!

Oh, it was. I thought he was about to offend some people with " If college didnt change your perspectives, go to the Bursars and get a refund" , but he saved that one lol.

I'm not sure why (what story), but NBC Nightly News will be filming tomorrow night from "Charleston, South Carolina" as Brian Williams just stated. More exposure for the Palmetto State!

I enjoyed watching NBC Nightly News when it was in Greenville, and you can bet I'll be watching tomorrow night.

Edited by GvilleSC

I'm not sure why (what story), but NBC Nightly News will be filming tomorrow night from "Charleston, South Carolina" as Brian Williams just stated. More exposure for the Palmetto State!

I enjoyed watching NBC Nightly News when it was in Greenville, and you can bet I'll be watching tomorrow night.

It was too wild in 2004 when they reported from Greenville but showed Columbia from slightly above looking down Main Street toward the State House while playing their post-newscast music.

• 2 months later...

I am posting this reply over here in the off-topic thread to avoid further contribution to the current discussion which has strayed from its topic over there. Perhaps the discussion could be moved to another place to keep that thread on topic? You can follow the link to that thread to read more of the discussion.

^I think that perhaps he has someone on another certain forum in mind. From my experiences with people that live in, have lived in, or are from Spartanburg, that person is definitely in the minority.

You have no clue as to whom in particular I am talking about. I actually do get out and live in many areas of the Upstate unlike several people I know living in the region. If you want to make accusations based upon unmerited assumptions (or your own bias?), please keep in mind that some of us who contribute here know this area and its natives like the back of our hand. What you learn online about a place from a handful of obviously biased people can never compare with several years worth of physically living there. I wouldn't pretend to know much about the people of Charlotte or Rock Hill even though I do know people living there and have physically visited multiple times throughout my lifetime. I can, however, confidently speak about the places I live even though I don't expect everyone (especially not anyone with an obvious prejudice) to listen to or believe what I say.

I never said that the majority of people in Spartanburg view Greenville in the manner spoken of earlier, nor did Spartan say that about Greenvillians. We both shared our remarkably similar experiences coming from opposite ends of the spectrum. As hard as it is - each of us being so enthusiastic about our cities - we should all try harder to get along with the places we may not like very well instead of jumping at every hint to blast them. As a Greenville resident first, I feel this pressure on this and other online forums, usually applied by those who are strongly prejudiced against us because of territorial rivalry. None of us is immune from preferential (unequal & unjust) treatment of others, so as Spartan said, we have to work extra hard to overcome those barriers and cooperate as a region and state. :)

You have no clue as to whom in particular I am talking about. I actually do get out and live in many areas of the Upstate unlike several people I know living in the region. If you want to make accusations based upon unmerited assumptions (or your own bias?), please keep in mind that some of us who contribute here know this area and its natives like the back of our hand. What you learn online about a place from a handful of obviously biased people can never compare with several years worth of physically living there. I wouldn't pretend to know much about the people of Charlotte or Rock Hill even though I do know people living there and have physically visited multiple times throughout my lifetime. I can, however, confidently speak about the places I live even though I don't expect everyone (especially not anyone with an obvious prejudice) to listen to or believe what I say.

First of all, you need to calm down. I have no idea why you get so easily offended, especially when you feel someone is slighting your city, but surely that was not my intent. However, I did read that long rant by that person on City-Data.com who thought Spartanburg was oh-so-superior to Greenville (the whole thing was lunacy), so I thought that maybe you had that person in mind--at least him (or her) among others. I never pretended to be an expert on Upstate relations and you are being disingenous by acting as though I portrayed myself as such, and surely I never even implied that you were lying or exaggerating. The least you could have done is given me the benefit of the doubt, but I guess it's just more virtuous to look like a victim huh? At any rate, I'd highly advise you to slow your roll and quit with the obvious insecurity. That victim act got old a long time ago (and I thought we were past that, but obviously not).

• 1 month later...

Several places in SC made the Top 100 Communities for Young People list. There are some nice write ups on each place:

Greenville

Spartanburg

School District of Oconee County

One catch here is that this "100 best" isn't a ranking, and you have to apply for it. So its hard to say for sure what's really going on. Still, its good to see SC cities getting their names out there.