Detroit Off Topic

Allan

This is a section where we can discuss anything concerning Detroit that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something to do with the city that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire news articles from the Free Press, Detroit News, or other sources in this thread. A link would be much better.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you got some great photos! The clouds have returned within the last hour and a half or so. There are still a few patches of blue here and there, but they are getting fewer and farther between. I will be going to Broderick Tower on Friday afternoon, so it would be nice if it was sunny then. Unfortunately it looks as if it will be mostly cloudy. Welcome to winter in Michigan! The forecast calls for it to be mostly sunny on Saturday for my weekly Detroit neighborhood tour, but we'll see about that....

Higgins has gotten ticketed for the building in the past. I will find out what all he's been ticketed for on Friday if I remember. I will also ask about the latest news on the renovation. There are enough violations in the Broderick to keep the city busy for quite a while! The city can't exactly break in to check the place out though, so he only gets fined for some things. The only fine Higgins got that I can specifically remember was a $200 fine for that pile of dirt in the back alley. Nobody knows who dumped it there, but Higgins got to foot the bill.

It looks like it's going to be mostly sunny on Saturday. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what areas I should photograph? Some things on my list include:

- Midtown

- Eastern Market

- East Village

- Boston Edison (West of the Lodge)

- Rivertown

I'm always open to suggestions. The only two neighborhoods I feel that I've covered well are Corktown and Woodbridge.

LOL, I need an area bigger than that! I could photograph all Capitol Park in 10 minutes. I will keep that in mind if I end up downtown. I only have about nine hours of daylight, so that is my main limiting factor. The only nightime photography I do occurs in downtown or midtown.

And something tells me that the lighting on the Guardian won't be happening this month either....

I hope everyone enjoyed our day and a half of sun, because now the snow begins again.

Did anyone else see the report on the tunnels under the city? It got pushed back to 11:00 last night. I was told that it was going to be about the subway tunnels. It ended up being about the steam tunnels. Oh well, it was still interesting. I didn't realize that the steam system still heats 252 buildings in the city. All the years of steam and heat are doing a number on the tunnel walls.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like enough to close school. :( I need the time to finish up two of my projects and play some major catchup in my literature class. I think I am four chapters behind now. Tonight I'm just going to get even more behind, since I have to finish up some more renderings.

Apparently the Lawyers Building on Cadillac Square at Randolph is being demolished. Anyone care to guess why? How about a nice surface parking lot!

I just heard about the great terra cotta building directly across from the Wayne County Building being sold to the Cadillac Apartment people to tear down for surface level parking!"

This is frustrating. Not only is there a small lot directly next to the Cadillac Apartments, but there is a lot behind them. Surely one of those could be turned into a parking structure. It's ridiculous to follow the logic that a small parking lot is more valuable then an office building, especially in that location. It's that same ignorant attitude we are constantly up against.

I wonder if Cadillac Apartment people were inspired by the 1001 Woodward people?

It seemed like the group who was working on the Lawyers building was very excited about their adventure (of course that was before one of their people was stabbed.)

It's too bad for whatever reason their dream was squashed, I remember being pleased to see all the newspaper clippings on their office wall

about various renovation projects.

Without the Lawyers building that corner will be incredibly bare.

Very aggravating

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/book-cadillac/message/1458

This sure will make a nice surface lot! :rolleyes:

DET0044.jpg

The Lawyers Building was completed in 1922 and is one of few Chicago style commercial buildings left in the city. It was designed by Bonnah and Chaffee, who also designed Cadillac Tower and the Farwell Building.

Apparently the renovation didn't go as planned. Still, you'd think that the people who own the Cadillac Square Apartments could hire someone to finish the project, and then they could build a parking deck between the two buildings. I get so frustrated...everything in the city is about parking lots and parking garages! It is because of this "tear it down and build more parking" attitude that I am questioning the city's ability to pull off a revitalization. This isn't the end of it either. With the large quantities of vacant buildings downtown, many of which are in horrible condition, there are surely more parking lots headed our way. Our city gets less and less dense, one building at a time.

:o Why? Once again, is the parking shortage really this critical in downtown? Maybe I only visit the city during slow times, but I've NEVER had a problem finding a parking space, within a block or two of my destination, in downtown Detroit. Does the city still have zoning laws in place that require developers to add on site parking for new projects? If so, this law needs to go.

Why? You're answer is as good as mine! I don't know. People in this city are so dang lazy. Heaven forbid that anyone isn't able to park right in front of their final destination! I have never had a problem parking in the city, even during Tigers games and Lions games.

Why not finish the Lawyers Building and then building a parking deck between the Cadillac Square Apartments and the Lawyers Building? Build the deck 8 stories tall for all I care! That would provide enough parking for the Lawyers Building and a ton of exta spaces for the Cadillac Square Apartments. Not to mention the potential for ground floor retail on Cadlliac Square - both in the garage and in the Lawyers Building. People in this city are so short-sighted. Detroit is the one city that refuses to learn from its past mistakes. How many cars could you fit on the site of the Lawyers Building anyway? I don't see how the building is more valueable for parking than as lofts, especially given the rising popularity of the loft living trend.

I hope this isn't true, but knowing Detroit, it probably is.