Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think part of the parking problem in places like the cbd (or even midtown/cass) is the aggressive ticketing. one time i parked in front of my b/f's place on second to pick up his recyclables for him and i got ticketed even with my trunk open, hazards blazing, and arms full of bags! therefore, this increases the value of parking very close to your destination so you don't have to walk blocks + blocks with your hands very full.

on the other hand- if they loosened parking restrictions you know people would abuse it. i probably would if i knew i could get away with it.

but i do agree- expecting to park right next door or refusing to walk a couple blocks is absolutely lazy.

Detroit is very agressive with ticketing. I've only gotten one so far, but still.

There is another rumor about the Lawyers Building floating around now. The other rumor is that the purchaser intends to move its software company into the building. Now we've got two contradicting rumors about the same building. Hopefully the second rumor proves to be true.

Thanks for posting the link to that, Meyers. I was going to check up on that later, but it saved me the time (which is good, because I have an incredible amount of work to do by Thursday morning).

This is one rumor I'm glad that has proved false. I never have seen scaffolding inside...I guess I'm just not looking hard enough. :P

It looks like Michigan might be getting $200 Million more per year from the Federal Government in road funding. It's about time that we get our fair share!

http://www.detnews.com/2005/commuting/0503/03/A01-106392.htm

Is it bad that it's 7:05 AM and I haven't been to bed yet? LOL. Actually, I haven't slept at all since Monday night. Stupid projects....

I don't feel like going to bed yet, so I figured that I'd share these photos I took on February 26. I was alone on the roof of Broderick Tower when I saw the moonrise over Windsor. I wish I had a larger zoom on my camera....

IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

Three new tenants have signed leases in Tech Town. They are:

Bioko, an engineering research company focused on the development of microelectromechanical systems, formed by Wayne State University Professor Greg Auner.

IC Datacom, a network-services provider founded by native Detroiters Dwayne Carson and Terence Willis.

USA Skills, an online recruitment company for the information-technology and health care industries.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=5650

A high end cafe that offers catering and evening hours will be opening at 150 West Jefferson this summer. The cafe will also have outdoor seating.

Additionally, a coffee shop, Grabba Java has just opened, and a sundry shop will be opening in the building in April.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/cgi-bin/artic...articleId=26629

Not related to Detroit, but since this is the off-topic thread under Metro Detroit, I'll post this picture of the computing center I'm at right now. My computer is in for service, so this will have to do. Dubbed "THE FISHBOWL" It is the 2nd largest computing center on campus. The one up at North Campus 3-4 times the size. The Fishbowl is named for the fact that it is surrounded by so much glass. Formerly it was a courtyard. To my back is the 10 story Haven Hall classroom building. To the right is the four story Mason Hall, straight ahead is the 4 story Angell Hall, to the left is the 5 story Tisch Hall.

fishbowlresized.jpg

Edited by wolverine

• 2 weeks later...

Unmarked Police Car Found!

Well it looks like today the Detroit PD has found the the unmarked police car (a black, Crown Victoria, go figure), which was reported missing on Friday, in another Detroit PD lot. Originally it was reported it was stolen from in front of the police HQ downtown, but poice are now stating that it was never stolen, was just unaccounted for. :rofl: Man I love the media, and city here!!!

Edited by ebaldy

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting article from the Free Press

One of KK's best friends, Ferguson, is being investigated for pistol whipping someone. KK is standing by his friend, even though the Ferguson is now being investigated for threatening this man who he pistol whipped because he was going to testify against him for this! Shots were fired into his house days before he was to testify. Oh yeah, Furguson runs a heavy-equipment company called Ferguson Enterprises and his company has millions of dollars of city contracts!

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/ferguson15e_20050415.htm

Edited by ebaldy