Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Detroit Forum!!!!! This is the new Campus Martius Park in Detroit with a skating rink the size of Rockefeller in New York. During the spring, summer, and fall it is a green lawn with concerts. Compuware World Headquarters is located at the park. Visteon is also moving workers to a new building on the park.

post-1718-1113703640_thumb.jpg

Edited by rbdetsport

If you haven't heard yet, Detroit's allustrious mayor was listed among the 3 worst mayors in the US (I don't think they were ranked) in Time magazine. The other 2, the mayor of San Diego who almost lost to write in candidate who owns a surf shop, and the mayor of Philly who is being investigated by the federal government. Way to go Kwayme!

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great read.

I'd hate to be in his position for so many years. Working on a well thought-out plan and warning officials, but always being ignored has to be the worst. It must have been a great relief getting that off his chest. I wish he would've done that 3 years ago.

Fire Breaks Out In Dowtown Building

Fire broke out at a four-story office building in downtown Detroit at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. Fire crews responded to the two-alarm blaze at the building at Bagley and Clifford streets, in the Grand Circus Park area of Detroit.

The office building has been rented out in the past but no tenants are currently in the building, the station reported. Its owner told Local 4 that its being used for storage.

Here's the rest of the story

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4455114/detail.html

Does anyone know what buiding this is? I think this is over by the United Artists building.

It's the building next to the Statler. Somehow, I feel it was related to the Statler demo. There are a ton of photos (Rather blurry) over at detroit.com. Check the thread "Statler is On fire" for more info. At first, everyone thought the Statler was burning, but it wasn't.

EDIT: One of Detroit's best photographers was on the scene, check out Urbantiki's photos at Flickr HERE

Edited by wolverine

I walked around Detroit & took photos of all the new parking garages yesterday. It appears that the Opera House Garage will be much nicer than the old garage.

IMG_1014.jpg

This hideous looking garage is nearing completion several blocks to the southwest.

IMG_0995.jpg

Well, the Millender Center has something like that where the parking garage is on the lower levels. But the big reason behind what you see above is because most of these parking structures serve existing older buildings that need to remain competitive to other Class A office space towers. The ramp in the last pic servers the dime building which I think only had the Kennedy garage for parking. Other than that, people had to walk a few blocks to their car. This is the consequence of a very automobile orriented city. I know Chicago has a lot of parking structures too, but for their density ratio to parking, it's much better than Detroits. Part of the reason is because they have good mass transit systems where Detroit doesn't (if has any).

EDIT: I'm actually quite happy with the Opera House garage. Yeah, it's a prefab slab structure, but it doesn't even look much like a parking garage yet. I just hope the seams between the panels are filled to make the walls look more solid than jointed.

Edited by wolverine

I found out a cool thing about the Whittier Towers on East Jefferson. I've always wondered why the elevator shafts looks so unnnatural and tacked on to the structure, and I found out that it's because they are.

Some time in the 1970's the former owner of the what was then an assisted living facility added the elevator towers because he planned to add a restaurant on the roof of the tower. Unfortunately, he was killed in a plane crash and the plan was never realized.

Also, if you guys have ever noticed, the flat top roof on the Whittier leaves it looking unfinished. Well, that's because when originally built, the developer left the option open of building above the roof. The tower can actually support another 14 story addition!

I wonder when renovation work will get through on this.

So did anyone hear clips from the KK's annoucement for relection on Tuesday. He said all gloves were off and he would fight the media and his critics to win a second term. Bad idea to try and fight the media when they keep on discovering new lies and corruption, IMO.

Anyway, his parents decided to speak and help.

His dad said he was a history buff and compared what is happening to his son to the persecution of the Jews by the Nazis!

"They had a big lie in Europe. A guy by the name of Goering said that the Jews was responsible for all the misery that the Germans was having. One lie! And that lie caught on," he said. "And before it was all over, 6 million of them died. Off of one big lie."

I guess the Holocaust museum offered up an invitation to visit.

Then his mom got up and was screaming like a mad woman the whole time. It was so bad, originally I thought it was McPhail! A couple of things stuck were the "turn off your TVs y'all", calling Kwame "y'all's boy" and said that a lot of people had died so her son could be mayor!

You can read some of this in this Free Press Article

Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Edited by ebaldy