Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I was pretty sure about it being all guys, but you never know. Anyway, so I took another look at my entrance letter, and I'm a space cadet. It's 613 Abbott St. and this makes a little more sense too me because of the buildings location right next door to the McNamara Fed. Building. So, again, thanks for the help, but I was giving you guys the wrong info.

• 2 weeks later...

I showed you rowhouses in SW Detroit. What I showed you was most of them. There's quite a few on the far east side tho.

-----------------------

So I've been working out here in Chicago for a week and a half now, and I've taken the CTA and metra commuter system everywhere. I must say we really need this back in Michigan.

I showed you rowhouses in SW Detroit. What I showed you was most of them. There's quite a few on the far east side tho.

-----------------------

So I've been working out here in Chicago for a week and a half now, and I've taken the CTA and metra commuter system everywhere. I must say we really need this back in Michigan.

Well the CTA would be nicer if it was more reliable. It seems like at night and early morning (especially on weekends) there's a lot of switch signal holdups and maintenance. I typically took the purple line to Main St. EVanston where I then hopped on the Metra.

The system is really nice for commuting, but if you are just coming to the Chi for a day or two on the weekend, it's just easier to drive and park downtown somewhere cheap. Or I suppose you can do the park and ride deal, but it will cost you a lot of time.

I did get hired to a firm out here, so who knows, I might be using the system more than I think.

I'm starting to wonder...doesn't Illinois have a collegiate population that it graduates into its greater Chicago market? It seems like all you hear is Ohioans, Michiganders, Wisconsonites, and Indianans eating up all the jobs in Chicagoland...but willingly of course.

Just by virtue of being a major regional center, Chicago has found its success from attracting/importing the best and brightest from surrounding states. States like Michigan, on the other hand, are the complete opposite who've found their chances at reviving old school economies greatly diminished since they are such huge exporters (in relation to the few imports) of talent.

Indeed! But shouldn't it be a wake up call that while it is completely acceptable that Chicago is our city of the "Inland Empire" of the USA and that it's a natural global draw, that next-tier-down cities should start to play ball? Attitudes of cities are as apparent as night and day. We have the utmost hatred for our own center cities, yet you can bring out Chicago on a silver platter and the attitude will do a complete 360.

What does that tell us? We're lazy is about it in a nutshell. Not just locally, but in the business/industrial/entrepreneural/governmental world too.

Look at this jobs change map for just Wayne County alone. It speaks volumes about the culture here. It's no surprise unemployment skyrockets in the blue communities which are the ones that have extreme job loss. What needs to be done to put jobs back there? It's obviously not watch the market to its magic. I don't have time to do the research right now, but I bet if a map of Cook County were posted side by side to this one, Chicago would look nothing like Detroit.

http://www.waynecounty.com/jed/imgs/map_jobChange.jpg

State policy has to change somewhere along the line. We're falling behind other major population centers at a high rate of speed, and even though we have tremendous resources in the greater area, it seems the ultimate unattraction will always lie in the fact that our center city is left for dead.

Here's a good read on central cities:

http://www.michiganfuture.org/Reports/RevitalizingCities.pdf

I completely agree. But, short of trying to immulate a Vegas or Atlanta, what else could the government possibly do that it hasn't already done? It seems to me that the ball is in the court of the people, and the people don't want to play ball, anymore (in Michigan). I mean, we're practically bending over backwards with all types of tax breaks not just to attract new companies, but even to retain the ones we have. I don't buy much into the school of thought that most of the blame for the state of the economy can be placed on the government. It seems to me that until "we the people" start looking at this state objectively instead of looking at it as Post WW-II Eastern Germany in terms of the economy, the government could completely sell itself out to business (more than it has), and it still wouldn't make a difference.

Yes, LMich!

People are going off about how backwards Michigan is, yet it is the people themselves making it that way. Like you said, govt plays a role but it only goes so far. The power of the people here is extremely weak and from my vantage point, blame is flying out of control and zero accountability or leadership is being taken as we watch the ship sink. Republicans are focused on one agenda: fighting for the sake of fighting. They want exorbitant amount of service but pay absolutely nothing for them, and to service a shrinking minority of people. On the flip side, democrats want to tax the hell out of the people with few other options because there is little-to-no budget.

I believe Grand Rapids is going to be a positive outlier in the state of Michigan. There's so much corruption and chaos in metro Detroit that there's really no basis for beginning a plan of recovery. Nobody trusts their neighbor on many levels, and there's so many lined drawn it's pathetic. Grand Rapids at least has a pallet to work off of, a less bias economic stronghold and a seemingly more non/bipartisan political makeup that can work together to get things done. Which is why I think that area will make strides and either attract the bitter east siders over there or it will motivate us to follow their lead.