Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I agree with the gist of what you said, though, I'm far more reserved and careful about anointing any other part of the state as a full-fledged success story or economic savior, quite yet. Some other areas of the state have been far more cohesive, and thus, far more successful at setting up fail-safes and far better at manuevering through this troubled economic storm, but I don't feel comfortable saying or predicting that any area of the state is out of the storm, just yet. IMO, the results of some of these manuevers and improvements have yet to be seen.

Often times, it takes a sleeping giant a lot more motivation to get going, but when it gets going, it's hard to stop, if you know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Lmichigan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Detroit 'rowhouses' aren't true rowhouses. They are technically linear apartment buildings. I don't even know what the fire seperation is in some of these buildings. A true rowhouse is an entirely self contained unit. While it share's a party wall with the neighboring home, you could demolish a unit, and the existing units on each side would still have an exterior wall. The term rowhouse is used quite loosely. Not all rowhouses are attached (like in Chicago) where in the best instances they are wall to wall structures usually having similar facade characteristics (Baltimore). If you want to find buildings that are better at fitting the definition, sone of the newer duplexes actually qualify. Although if one unit is demolished, the whole structure is pretty much totaled. Same with the new Woodbridge Place.

I'm not really sure of the reason for why Detroit does not have that many rowhouses. My guess was land was relatively inexpensive and there was enough space to go around. Anything wider than 18 feet is beyond the typical rowhouse width, and many of Detroit's lot widths are much higher than that.

Edited by wolverine

Yes, this is a very, very real problem that I don't laugh at, anymore. I used to think it was self-depricating humor. I've found that people aren't using humor, at all. The sky is falling in the minds of too many Michiganders, and it's not necessarily because it actually is, but because we've made it so. Michigan's current economic and social state is just as much a result of reality as it is a negative, self-fulfilling prophecy. I've said it before, but Michiganians have come to love Misery, and she really is good company to those folks, even though they don't realize she's sucking the life right out of them, and thus, the state.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow! Good find!

It looks like a totally different city.

It's funny to think that they thought the city was broken back then. If they knew what would happen in a few decades. I hope that the same thing doesn't happen with out generation.

Edited by Jasoncw

That's cool. I always wished the 1 Woodward Building would have been built somewhere else in the near vacinity. A shorter building not coving up the Guardian Building would have been much nicer, IMO. I love seeing it fronting the view from the river like in the olden days. It looks so vintage. :)

I like how One Woodward Avenue is there. In those pictures, it feels like you're looking at the back of downtown no matter what angle you look at it from. I think that One Woodward Avenue and Hart Plaza give downtown a "front." 150 W Jefferson helps give downtown a front too.

But I do wish that the buildings were arranged better, so that the Guardian and Penobscot Building had more riverfront viewage.

That's what I mean. A building there is better, I just wish it was a shorter one so you can at least see the top portions of the Guardian. I'd rather have 1 Woodward there than not have it at all, and I'm sure you agree. It is a timeless piece of Yamasaki, now more valuable then ever (post 9/11).

So I haven't been paying much attention to fuel costs lately since I either take the bus or drive short distances around A2. Actually, I've been driving a lot lately to and from class (because final exams weeks make you lazy to walk), and finally needed to fill up yesterday. I was surprised to find fuel prices at $2.90. Is this the highest it has been in the Detroit area? I don't seem to rememeber paying more than $2.85. This is only April too, I'm sure they are bound to go up during the summer.

This is why wolverine needs to ditch his 11 year old truck. I broke a fuel gas seals that are really pricey to fix, but my fuel efficieny has dropped from 25/26 to 18 mpg. But that's freeway, my city efficiency is definitely far worse, and all I do is drive in the city.

This is why wolverine needs to ditch his 11 year old truck. I broke a fuel gas seals that are really pricey to fix, but my fuel efficieny has dropped from 25/26 to 18 mpg. But that's freeway, my city efficiency is definitely far worse, and all I do is drive in the city.

I know. I got gas today too, and diliberately because I thought the prices would go down after last weekend's holiday price of $2.70s. I paid $2.89 in Detroit and got 7 gallons for $20.

Was going to go to Chicago this weekend, so maybe it was better that I didn't. Glad I live near work and school and only need the car minimally! :)