Allan

• 1 month later...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It depends on where you are or who you are. You could call it Mexicantown (generally describes the area's large hispanic population including the many mexican shops and restaurants), Vernor-Junction (rougly bounded by Clark St, the railroad tracks, I-75 and Livernois/Dragoon), Hubbard-Richard (roughly bounded by Clark St, The railroad tracks, I-75/Fort St and 16th St.), Hubbard Farms (roughly bounded by Clark Park, Vernor Hwy, and I-75), etc.

Edited by hudkina

Thanks, I was just wondering because barely south of Michigan, on Grand Blvd are a bunch of old houses that I photographed and I was wondering if it was a little neighborhood with a name that I could look up info on.

I heard from some people that the Whitney Building is being renovated but can't find any articles or anything on it. Is this true?

Those of us who live here tend to call the whole of southwest Detroit "Mexicantown," though that is not technically correct. I find myself using it often to describe to suburbanites where I live, since most of them haven't got a clue. Historically speaking, my neighborhood was dubbed Claytown. Southwest Detroit, and particularly my area of Southwest, was where the brick companies set up shop and manufactured most of the bricks that built Detroit. This is still reflected today in the neighborhood, though mostly in the form of street names. Goldner, Greusel, Clippert, Lonyo...they were all brick companies. There were dozens of brick manufacturers, though most were gone by 1920, as the city expanded. The brickyards extended all the way into Dearborn.

There are some interesting demographic shifts occurring in SW today. The Middle Eastern immigrants from Dearborn are tending to move east into Southwest Detroit. At the same time, the Hispanic population is moving northward as it expands. The Hispanic influence stretches north all the way to Warren Avenue in some places, although the highest concentrations of Hispanics are found south of the Ford Freeway.

The area you refer to on W. Grand Blvd. is beautiful. A close friend of mine had the opportunity to buy one of those old Victorian mansions about 15 years ago for $12,000! He's wishing he'd done that right about now, haha. I don't know that the neighborhood really has a name, although I guess you could call it Hubbard Richard. Just west of there lies my favorite neighborhood in the city, Hubbard Farms. Back in the 1980s there was a movie that featured the neighborhood. If you can find it, it's worth seeing...you might try looking at some libraries. It's called "The Rosary Murders." You can catch glimpses of Duly's Coney Island, Holy Redeemer, one of the apartments on W. Grand Blvd. (the name escapes me, and a house on Hubbard Street in Hubbard Farms, among other places on the SW side.

• 1 month later...
Have any of you guys been to the Detroit Breakfast House in Merchants Row? I went there a few weeks ago and it was probably the best breakfast I've ever had. I am glad it has been open for a while now. I was concerned early on that it would not last.

It seems like a great place for office workers to go or for families on the weekend.

Edited by statedude3

i feel stupid for responding to sarcasm... must've been low on the coffee when I typed that.

By the way, I like the little place on michigan avenue at brooklyn street for breakfast. Pretty simple little place, but it gets the job done and there is always a free newspaper laying around to read.

Well, taking everyone's advice ;).

Here we go again <_<

http://www.wxyz.com/default.aspx

"SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION ARE POSSIBLE. ICE ACCUMULATIONS FROM FREEZING RAIN MAY EXCEED A QUARTER INCH IN WASHTENAW AND WAYNE COUNTIES... "

Snow and sleet with a chance of light freezing rain during the evening...then snow. Additional snow accumulations 2 to 4 inches possible...for a storm total of 4 to 6 inches. With Significant Icing Likely. Otherwise cloudy and brisk. Lows 18 to 22. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph...becoming north 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

half an inch of ice!! The last time that happened I crashed my car in the school parking lot like 5 years ago and we all had to take busses home, we didn't have school for like the next day and a half. Plus 4-6 Inches of snow on top of that at least qaurter inch of ice :o - worse driving conditions possible...Anyone agree??

Edited by TheDetroitCity99

Haha they just are so unsure of this stuff!! WINTER STORM WARNINGS HAVE BEEN POSTED STARTING AT 7 PM. SNOW TOTALS: 4"-6" SOUTH 5"-8" NORTH.

Snow Is Expected Develop After 4 PM This Afternoon...Increase Intensity After 7 PM This Evening...And Then Continue Through The Night Becoming Heavy At Times. The Snow May Mix With Sleet During The Evening. Total Snowfall Is Expected To Be In The 5 To 8 Inch Range By Sunrise Wednesday Morning. In Addition... Strong Northeast Winds Gusting Up To 30 Mph Will Create Additional Hazards Of Blowing And Drifting Snow. The Snow Will Come To An End By 7 AM Wednesday Morning.

A Winter Storm Warning Means Significant Amounts Of Snow... Sleet...And Ice Are Expected Or Occurring. Strong Winds Are Also Possible. This Will Make Travel Very Hazardous Or Impossible

Edited by TheDetroitCity99

So as I arrived home from Bay City at 4:30 this morning, the lack of traffic allowed me to examine the beautiful Detroit skyline. It was a welcoming sight to be home, until I noticed that they STILL have not fixed the exterior lighting on the Penobscot building. It is truly one of the most beautiful buildings, when lit properly at night. with the current scheme (just the top tier lit) it looks very awkward.

Rant over.

I always think of the worst case scenario about my own intentions of wanting to live and potentially raise a family in the city. It's not my safety that I necessarily would worry about, but rather my family. And imagine the worst case happening when you have family visiting from out of town (most of whom were always against you living in a Detroit neighborhood). How could you live with yourself if that worst case scenario happened...and then to top it off with a nice cherry of no police response. Ugg! So many things keep people out of this city even though they would live here if they could.

I always think of the worst case scenario about my own intentions of wanting to live and potentially raise a family in the city. It's not my safety that I necessarily would worry about, but rather my family. And imagine the worst case happening when you have family visiting from out of town (most of whom were always against you living in a Detroit neighborhood). How could you live with yourself if that worst case scenario happened...and then to top it off with a nice cherry of no police response. Ugg! So many things keep people out of this city even though they would live here if they could.

And you'd be surprised at how having a good police force means a lot as far as attracting residents. Far more than good schools (even if you have kids). An article run a few years ago interviewed new residents to the city of Saginaw that had moved there in the late 90's. The late 90's, the city had a strong police force, and as a result were attracting new families into the city. When things fell apart due to budget problems, people began moving out.

I'd really like to see Detroit install the cameras at intersections like Chicago and NY did. It works. I suggested it at DetroitYes, but some idiots mentioned some crap like privacy rights. Who cares who's watching. Privacy is meaningless, you don't need it when you have a gun pointed in your face.