Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm entertaining a possible donor to my non-profit organization that is coming in from Traverse City tonight. I'm trying to think of a good place to eat to show off the city a bit. I've taken investors to HRC inside the compuware building and Greektown several times, but I'm looking for a change of scenery. Sadly, I have not been to the GM Wintergarden yet...are there dining options there? Maybe a website I could check out? Any recommendations or advice would be helpful. I'm on a pretty wide-open budget, so whatever you can come up with would be helpful.

You know what might impress the socks off them is Slows BBQ. It is on Michigan Avenue in Corktown at the 14th Street intersection in view of the Michigan Central Station. They don't have a huge menue, but the food is very good, and it's low on the budget, but it's all quality. It's a diamond in the rough! :)

http://slowsbarbq.com/

Edited by Michi

A couple of questions all regarding lighting on our buildings...

When will Kwames grand Super Bowl lighting scheme take affect? I remember seeing a while back this great rendering with every skyscraper lit up and spot lights everywhere.

Why is the Penobscot only lit on the bottom third of its setbacks? I thought maybe it was because of the red white and blue scheme but the white portion was in the middle, not the bottom.

When will the Guardian finally get its exterior lighting? I could have sworn it was supposed to happen months ago but every time im downtown the top of the building is dark.

...I'm not seeing anything...

Well, I did a little bit of extra work, and arranged to have dinner at Seldom Blues with drinks afterwards at Coach Insignia [(actually the lounge up there, but I think it was the same name) even though we had originally planned to dine at only one of the locations]. Though he grew up in Detroit (city) he had never had a change to see it from above, and was awe-struck by the views of the city. We spent quite a sum of money on the night, but in the end he wrote a check for $12,000 that will directly benefit the children of Detroit Public Schools, so it was a very sucessful evening! The views were magnificant, and it was his first trip to Detroit in 2 years, and he was very impressed at the progress made in redevelopment.

When will Kwames grand Super Bowl lighting scheme take affect? I remember seeing a while back this great rendering with every skyscraper lit up and spot lights everywhere.
They'll probably just end up turning on every light in every building like they did for the All Star Game.

Why is the Penobscot only lit on the bottom third of its setbacks?
It's been like that ever since Farbman took over management of the building.

When will the Guardian finally get its exterior lighting? I could have sworn it was supposed to happen months ago but every time im downtown the top of the building is dark.
The lighting is at the bottom and washes up the side of the building. They could light up the top too, though :)

The lighting is at the bottom and washes up the side of the building. They could light up the top too, though :)

They have had the lighting at the bottom for awhile now. I remember they were supposed to light the top. On the Guardian web site they show rendering of how the top is supposed to be lit. Have they scrapped this plan?

www.guardianbuilding.com

They have had the lighting at the bottom for awhile now. I remember they were supposed to light the top. On the Guardian web site they show rendering of how the top is supposed to be lit. Have they scrapped this plan?

www.guardianbuilding.com

Based on the rendering, it appears that the location of the lighting would making installation and appearance pretty easy to accomodate.

I am insanely busy today and tomorrow...otherwise I would post. I have 2 exams, a midterm, and model to get done today, a grading plan & exam tomorrow, and another model and a set of floorplans for a house due Thursday. I am not sleeping until all of this gets done, and the chances of me making another post between now & then are minimal.

Yup thats the rendering i was referring to. I think it would be pretty darn sweet to have downtown lit up like that. Maybe we could get lucky and have some of it become permanent.

That would be "pretty darn sweet" if that was all permanent. I like the purple light shining on the Renaissance Center. And again Comerica Tower is lit up and the other building to the west of Woodward look magnificent.