Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I thought I'd share some information I recieved on what could be a pretty prominent development coming up...

I've been interested in Detroit church architecture for awhile now, and have been compiling pieces of information here and there. Anyway, I wrote The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Paul up on the 4000 block of Woodward. I had heard that the cathedral has remained unfinished for years, after the construction on the main building wrapped up in the early 1900's. I was informed that the church is once again working with some architects on a 170' belfry they've been trying to building ever since the original completion. Everything is preliminary, but this could be another landmark for Midtown Detroit.

What Church is this?

I'll have to look for it next time I am there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Detroiters!

I thought I would give you guys my two cents on your magnificant city. I have only been to Detroit once, but I do remember thinking that this city has tremendous possibilities. That being said from time to time I will pop in and give my opinion on things that I have read and give you guys some input on how to make your city great again. Don't let all the negative press get you down you have a wonderful city on the lake.

I was at the game last night. It was horrifying. We were sitting in the 3rd and 4th seasts to the left of the bench, and saw all the drama unfold. I think that is the most quiet I've ever seen JLA...at least since the Chris Pronger injury in the 1998 playoffs. As a player who saw a teammate have a seizure on the bench during high school, this brought back very chilling memorites. I hope he gets well soon, and maybe we see him back on the ice sometime.

just stop right now guys... I remember reading the asinine threads on detroityes about reloacting the expos to Tiger Stadium (there are so many reasons why it won't, couldn't and shouldn't, its not even worth typing).

There are three things that will never happen in detroit:

1. World class transit

2. A second MLB tean

3. The olympics

Edited by tapezord

Agreed. I still think the best use for TS is to plow it over, restore the street grid, and build quality urban infill there. Once TS is gone, all the parking lot owners who've been holding on to their lots in the hopes that TS will be used again will also sell to developers.

TS has to go...nobody has yet to present a feasible plan to reuse it. Lofts are not happening there, nor is a museum, and a second professional baseball team is not coming to Detroit. So it sits there gradually decaying.

I have a lot of great memories there, and so does everyone else. And yes, it is one of the oldest surviving ballparks in the country. But it is obsolete, and it is holding back the revitalization of Corktown.

Unfortunately, I fear that the city will tear down TS and put a big box retailer there instead, totally destroying the neighborhood.

That was so horrible..... :(

Marlins to pursue relocation

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5105588

MAYBE TIGER STADIUM!!!!!

Why would you waste your time posting this? It says in the article that the team is looking for a brand new stadium and hopefully in south Florida. So why would they pick up and leave sunny south Florida for Detroit? In Detroit they would get a stadium thats dilapitated and falling apart and at least 60 years older than their current facility. And if that isnt enough of a draw for the team they can come to Detroit and play second fiddle to the Tigers and a fan base that has been luke warm about baseball for the last decade. I can understand posting certain articles to spur conversation but this is just stupid.

I was at the game last night. It was horrifying. We were sitting in the 3rd and 4th seasts to the left of the bench, and saw all the drama unfold. I think that is the most quiet I've ever seen JLA...at least since the Chris Pronger injury in the 1998 playoffs. As a player who saw a teammate have a seizure on the bench during high school, this brought back very chilling memorites. I hope he gets well soon, and maybe we see him back on the ice sometime.

I hope to see him back on ice sometime too but hopefully the right choices are made so that the same thing doesn't happen to him as what happened with Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

If anyone wants to send get-well wishes then write to Jiri Fischer, Detroit Red Wings, Joe Louis Arena, 600 Civic Center Drive, Detroit 48226

I read on espn.com that he has at least 4-6 weeks of zero physical activity ahead of him. And even if they give him permission to play again afterwards it would be weeks before he is back to game shape. My guess is that hes done for the season if not longer. I hope he is able to recover and come back from this because he was really coming into his own this year as a player.

I wasnt a big fan when i first saw them online, but after seeing them play in them they have grown on me a little. They are a hell of a lot better than the Lions black jerseys.

And if wearing red produces more wins how come the Clippers and Hawks have been so crappy for so long?

There are a couple of technical issues I wanted to mention. The clock that logs the time of a post is still on daylight savings time, and it is becoming annoying. Might someone fix that please? In addition, both the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press have redesigned their web sites. Any links to articles in either of these papers that are older than a week, or so, appear to be broken. This could make following some of the older threads quite difficult.

Go into "my controls," then click "board settings" on the left. Make sure that the box that says "auto correct DST" is checked. Let me know if that fixed it.

As for the recently redesigned Free Press website...I cannot stand it! The "improvements" have turned what was a well organized site into a chatoic mess. Not to mention the fact that they have made it so that everything over 7 days old you have to pay for. I've pretty much stopped visiting the Free Press website now.

There unfortunately isn't much we can do about the broken links. I could update all the Detroit News links, but that would take days, and I do not have that kind of free time anymore. As some of the older topics get bumped up I will try to update the links.

I looked at my "board settings" and the "auto correct DST" box was already checked and the time was set to Eastern time zone. I unchecked "auto correct DST" and unchecked the "DST is in effect" box and that corrected the problem. Thanks.

I agree with you about the new format. It is a mess! I was unaware the Free Press was charging for articles older than a week. What makes them think that old news is worth more then new news is beyond me?

I didn't mean to suggest that you update the links. I only mentioned it in case somebody was wondering why there were so many broken links. Thanks again Allan.