Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mooch was part of the problem. Hes not a disciplinarian (sp?) and that hurt him big time. He lost the lockeroom and could not motivate the team even for the Thanksgiving game, a game that Detroit consistent plays good in because many years its there only nationally televised game. Mooch was also considered a QB guy. What did he do to improve Harrington? Garcia was also mediocre when he played. Mooch certainly wasnt the whole problem but I wont be shedding a tear now that hes gone. Im sorta hoping that whenever John L Smith gets canned in East Lansing that Mooch is there to take the job. He could be a great recruiter.

Im sorta hoping that whenever John L Smith gets canned in East Lansing that Mooch is there to take the job. He could be a great recruiter.

As a diehard Spartan, and card carrying member of the Red Cedar Message Board at SpartanTailgate.com, I hope that this never happens. Mooch would bring in great recruits and get some attention, but I dont think he would fit the MSU system that well. I'm a huge JLS supporter, but I dont think either him or Mooch is the answer. However, because this is not a sports board, I will not write my 3 page essay about why my school's football team is always sub-par.

Its the off topic section so i think sports discussion is appropiate. MSU's problem has always been mediocrity. I think with Mooch the Spartans will at least get a bowl bid every year. Instead of John L taking the team 5-6, Mooch being a better coach and my guess better recruiter can turn that into 6-5 or 7-4 in spite of the curse that seems to be on the program. Plus I like the idea of Izzo and Mooch being in EL together.

I will start with a disclaimer that I dont mean for this post to come across in the wrong way. I love Rosa Parks for everything she did for the civil rights movement and for the City of Detroit. With that said...

I was disappointed to hear that the Jeffries Fwy. was renamed in honor of Rosa Parks, and now the the federal building will today be rededicated and named for her. I think it is somewhat like a slap in the face to the Jeffries family, who I'm told still lives in Detroit.

I think it would be more appropriate to name new places, new structures in her honor. The name game has been played on cities and buildings throughout america, and I understand the importance of honoring people in this manor...but I dont think we should rename the entire city after Rosa Parks, just a few weeks after her death.

Totally agree. I understand naming the bus terminal, but lets not forget our own unique city history!!

Just a side note... the Jeffries passes through Livonia... my unfortunate hometown. The city that ironically just opted out of the SMART bus system for what are, as far as I am concerned, racist based motives. (don't forget the Wal-Mart Fiasco). This ought to be interesting.

I agree with you both, but for a few different reasons, as well. Not only is it disrespectful to who these things were already named after, but naming ANOTHER street/freeway after Ms. Parks is not only redundant, but doesn't seem fitting, at all. The transporation station is very fitting seeing as how it was on a bus that she made her stand. Plus, it's a new structure.

This is not even to mention the middle school named after her. I'd much rather see her memorialized in a statue on the riverfront, or something else besides a street/freeway.

also... why name a freeway... something that played role A-1 in destroying Detroit...something that made white flight possible, after Ms. Parks. And to top it off, they pick the Jeffries Fwy, with its 3-lane express to the suburb lanes!?!? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by tapezord

Looks like another Detroit freeway is going to have it's name changed...

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?pa...7&relation=next

Again, why rename this freeway? John C. Lodge was a great mayor of the city, Coleman A. Young continued the decline of the city through the 70's and 80's.

I think they should just rename the outbound stretch for him, since he effectively drove hundreds of thousands of people out of the city. :angry: There is already a 20 story building named after him...what gives??

Will you two please chill out, you obviously know nothing about politics, cause bills like this get introduced all the time that's why you have gems likes this:

HB 5249

9/29/2005

Hoogendyk

Highways; name; portion of M-10 in Wayne county; rename the "Ronald Wilson Reagan Memorial Highway

I can tell you right now it'll be a cold day in hell before Reagan gets anything after him in the city and the same can be said for the GOP in Lansing naming anything after Coleman. This is just good campaign lit filler Hoodgendyk can now claim he introduced bill for a Regan highway. Likewise, I'm sure Lemmons will mention the "Young Freeway" bill. Otherwise these are destined for a slow death

Edited by detroitfan

I think most of what was planned was done in conjunction with the preparation for the All Star game, so it's pretty much done with exception of a few things that'll have to wait until we get close to the Superbowl week.

For example, the lower Woodward will be closed for the winter festival, Superbowl banners on the light posts, etc.

Remember, the city still has to put on some "makeup" for the Autoshow in January.

The only visible developments going on that people attribute directly to Superbowl preparation are the newly paved sidewalks along the Woodward north of I-75 and finishing off the Stadler lot. The sidewalk pave job looks half-assed to me and I'm not sure what they're trying to do with the hole left by the Stadler demolition. If its just matter of filling in the hole, I'd think they'd be finished by now.

I believe there are still a few unoccupied buildings in negotiations to be rented out for corporate parties, temporary offices, etc. I've heard ESPN is still looking for space as late as last week, though I doubt that's true.

The NFL will be based in the Ren Cen and Paris Hilton apparently leased the Blue Lounge on Woodward.

Beyond that, I haven't heard of any other concrete deals.

Some buildings owned by the city that are supposed to get temporary facelift are still pretty much untouched as of early last week. I suspect that unless there's potential safety issues (e.g. marquee on the UA building) we're not going to see additional changes to any structure unless they're specifically part of long term renovation.

Ok, so I need advice about another person I'm entertaining for Detroit STAR. He's a 22 year old MSU student, who just graduated with a degree in Building Construction Management. He's joined my team, in our efforts to get the GAR building. He's a lansing kid who knows about Detroit's historic buildings and our recent revival, but has never seen them up close. I decided I'm going to take him sight seeing, to the "dinasaurs". I'm thinking about starting at MCS, then showing him the Michigan Theater/ramp, Book-Cadillac, Guardian, GCP area, and GAR(for obvious reasons)....then maybe a couple more. Problem is, there is just so many places we could go, and we just dont have time to visit and photograph them all. What would you guys list as the "must sees"? Thanks again

-da chairman -_-

Well, MCS seems to wow a lot of poeple because of its scale. I see Michigan Theater parking structure pop up in more lectures and slide presentations at my university than any other building in Detroit. The owner is apparently a real nice guy and will let you explore it a bit more if you get ahold of him ahead of time.

I really don't see much of a problem covering all those buildings unless you are looking at them in depth. If you are going to each just to take a few photos, then it shouldn't be a huge problem. Taking photos of the interior of the Guardian shouldn't take too long unless you do the tour, which I don't know anything about. The other buildings might take longer if you go inside. IMO, you get the best experience of each building by going inside. But that depends on if you are willing to go into Michigan Central Station in the middle of winter. :lol: