Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know a little about this. For quite a few, 2012 is supposed to be the end of the world as we know it. It's real New-Aged thing, but their is supposed to be some massive solar flare/cosmic wind that will reach us, and the majority of the people on earth. Yeah, it's cookey.

You really have no idea about 2012. All we really know is that December 12, 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar. There are people who interperate this as the end of the world. Some speculate the end of the world from natural forces, others about our self-implimented destruction, while some people point towards a new epoch in human existence, or a new cycle. And then there are some who believe that it means nothing. Take from it what you will, but keep in mind this is not a new-age thing but rather an ancient cycle that started in 3114 BCE and will end in 2014 CE.

Edited by Chow

So it's gotten quiet again lately in the Detroit section. I've had the flu lately and my professors excused me from having to turn in assignments and stuff, so I've been holed up in my room surfing the net a lot lately, wanting some more action here. What would everyone like?

When I recover, shall I put myself in another unhealthy situation and explore the Packard Plant and make a thread about it?

Or, would you all like to see a thread sometime full of photos when I got my first digital camera over 4 years ago and took photos of the D. I'll warn you they aren't very good. 3 years later, I think Allan might remember the near death of that camera when I dropped it on the sidewalk photographing the opera house garage demo before we urbexed the Brody Tower. Sure don't build cameras like the used to...

I could also reincarnate a photo thread from days gone by, when the Michigan forum was just a Michigan forum. Everything became so fancy when a Detroit section was created.

You could also suggest an area that I go to, and I can take pictures there, but since U of M has 1 parking space, I don't have a car, until I buy one this summer, but by then I'll be spending the summer in Baltimore.

There's also an option that I post some photos from last year of select neighborhoods like Woodbridge. I can also do a miscellaneous one of some random areas.

I may do neither of these since the flu makes me lazy.

Suggestions?

It's up to you. I've been very tired lately...I've only been awake for about 15 hours total since 8pm Thursday. Something has gotten into me, and I don't know what. Surprise me...maybe when I wake up again there will be something interesting to look at on the forum....

Okay, so I'm waiting for breakfast to be served in my building, and have nothing better to do, so as promised on the previous page, I shall make a post of my earliest photographs. Please, please people, save your applause for the end.

bad01.jpg

This one came out surprisingly clear, at 80 mph. Nothing a little cropping couldn't fix.

bad02.jpg

I was liking the picturesque nature of the weeds and slightly slanted guardrail. But you can never have enough symbolic themes in photography, that's why I tried to frame the lightpost with the two buildings.

bad03.jpg

I think I had a reason why I was photographing this... I hope.

bad04.jpg

Nothing says TRUE DETROIT like 8 mile road! Right Em?

eminem_8_mile_cruising.jpg

bad05.jpg

I really hope the orange building gets renovated.

bad06.jpg

This building used to say R.I.P Snoop. It appears only the "P" is left.

These next two carry a common theme. I call them, "dissappearing into the sky."

bad07.jpg

Nothing like capturing the Millender Center directly into the sun.

bad08.jpg

Look I'm making the Statler dissapear!

I'll conclude with some half building photos.

bad09.jpg

bad10.jpg

bad11.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Edited by wolverine

Dont you just hate it when people post pictures that you were planning on taking? Now I cant take any photos of highway weeds along 75 and be considered original. :D Even Picasso had to pic up a brush and try painting at some point Wolverine. I could probably add some to this page but Id be way too embarrassed.

Zissou, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd take some photos of driving along 696 where it's a concrete canyon. The most exciting ones are when you go under the areas where the freeway is capped. I'd encourage all to post their first pics.

In convinced my friend Brian that the picture of the Statler is a really good photo, and he believed me. Maybe these older photos do have a purpose LOL. Of course there's always photoshop to fix the not so good ones.