Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since this is the off topic thread, I have to ask, does anyone know the name of the very interesting looking church on Lake Saint Clair somewhere in the Grosse Pointes? It sticks out into the water, and you can see it going north along Jefferson/Lakeshore from pretty far back. I was never very familiar with the area, so if anyone could help that would be great.

Since this is the off topic thread, I have to ask, does anyone know the name of the very interesting looking church on Lake Saint Clair somewhere in the Grosse Pointes? It sticks out into the water, and you can see it going north along Jefferson/Lakeshore from pretty far back. I was never very familiar with the area, so if anyone could help that would be great.

I believe your thinking of St. Paul on the Lake Roman Catholic Church. My aunt and uncle went there, when they lived in GP...thank god they moved downtown. :D

I was looking around at some house design on the internet and I came across a new urbanism project going up in the north Chicago suburb of Glenview, IL. They are building these houses on narrow lots that I believe have a garage behind them facing the alley. Basically it's your remake of the traditional urban neighborhood. The houses look great, despite the elevation drawing not being very big. I think some of these would be nice for Detroit's more sensitive historical neighborhoods. The website did not list prices for the homes. I wonder if these going up in Detroit's neighborhoods would be a succesful development project.

CambridgeTownhomes.jpg

Although it looks likes they may have very similar floor plans, I like that the facades are unique. That's one thing that Woodward place could certainly improve on: every one of the ten+ buildings look almost exactly the same. The mass of those buildings collectively overpower the few remaining apartment buildings and mansions that are in between.

It was more design related as to why I asked if this would happen. It's obvious the Glenview homes are built using higher quality more expensive materials. Everything is probably original cut limestone and brick. These units probably wouldn't be all that affordable. That's why, for infll project could we see this sort of quality.

I think the city is definitely moving in the right direction with developments like Garden Lofts and Centurion Place, but single-family home design is still lagging pretty far behind. The closest they've gotten to the Chicago example posted above is East Village and Gratiot Woods, it seems. It all has to do with the market. Most of Detroit's more wealthy hoods are already pretty much built out, and few developers are going to take the chance of putting these kinds of things up in lower-income hoods.

My first post on UrbanPlanet, being a member, EVER! ENJOY MY STUPIDITY!

"Hey guys, I am new here but I just wanted to say that what all of you are doing is awesome. You are all so optimistic about the city and so am I so I felt like I had to join and those guys over at the Detroit Forum won't let me join so this was my next choice. Does anyone know anything new about the BC renovation?"

Even then I was going off topic. I mean BC in a Broderick Tower discussion. LMFAO! That was for you Lmichigan. Just a little joke. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on finishing up some old projects for some additions to my portfolio. When I can't get the Detroit development I want, I build it myself. Helllll yesss....

rowhouserender.jpg

I'ts just a 5 second render done in 3ds, untextured, no shadows, no lighting, no detail..just rough shapes. So this won't be the final product. The final render that will be on par with those you see that companies put out will take anywhere from 2-3 hours. The colors are also only suggestive of material. The red part will obviously be brick, and the bottom brown portion will be a more rusticated material like fieldstone or something. Also, take note of the gray "shelf" in the first setback. That is where the ground level will be. Above it is obviously where a stoop and stairs down to the sidewalk will be. What do you think?

EDIT: Oh, yeah I'm aware this looks somewhat similar to that 19 on 3rd or whatever its called. However, I started this months before I ever saw that render. I relied on observed styles of older structures I saw around the city, and I tried to incorporate some into this building, yet move it into the 21st century by incorporating some more contemporary elements

Edited by wolverine