Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I'm sick of the buildings that try to look historical but fall short because of materiality and other added motifs that make it look silly.

It's sickening when you see architects use beige brick as a replacement for limestone. Or when they don't want to do difficult brickwork near a roofpeak so they use siding....which was never used in brownstones or urban rowhomes historically.

In architecture school, we learn how to build appropriately for certain architectural types. If you want your building to have a historical appeal, then make it have materials that were historically used. Don't force it with decoration unless you HAVE the real thing and intend to use it throughout the structure, otherwise, find another way to imply certain features. For example, I'm using a simple, angled-cut limestone cornice. My intention is that these brownstones would be somewhat affordable to build. Additionally, the lower parts of the building don't offer precise detail that a cornice would have, so extra decoration is not necessary. This building is more about honesty in structure expressed in building methods that were used in the past. Lintel placement and arrangment are clearly expressed on the exterior giving the facade character. Their slight extrusion from the facade will allow shadow to take a roll in giving depth and reinforce its materiality. The overhangs above the doorways also suggest honesty in structure. I wanted to keep this simplified which is why I avoided a post and beam system. To be appealing, it would have required moulding and possibly a cornice or else it would have been too modernist for the character of the surrounding area. So I chose a suspended overhang and allowed the steel members to produce depth and shadow in the structure itself.

Eventually, I plan on doing a more contemporary set of rowhouses. Not quite sure when I'll get around to that though.

Here's a few more shots of some progress. I put on the wider stoops and steps. I'm not quite sure about the railings. They are definitely a bit more contemporary wrought iron style. I was also considering doing a terraced brick masonry "railing" like you see on a ton of older Detroit homes, but I'm not quite sure what residential codes are on new houses for railings. The older brick terraced railing things are definitely not 42 inches high, which means I would have to scrap them in this design, because a taller version would look really awkward.

rowhouserender2.jpg

rowhouserender3.jpg

rowhouserender4.jpg

Which store was it? I'm not sure if there is any stores specifically catered to such genres, but some may carry more books than others.

By the way, I'm sure you've read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. One of my favorites. They weren't serial killers, but they did brutally murder an innocent family and were on the run for awhile. More about this true story: http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/galleries/2...gacy_in_photos/

Yesterday while in Ann Arbor I found a mystery and true crime book store. This was like heaven since I have a fascination with serial killers. I was wondering if there are any true crime book stores in Detroit or even in metro-Detroit that you guys know of.

Yeah, we know you have this serial killer fascination...and it's kinda creepy and weirding us out....just kidding :lol:

If you're ever in the neighborhood, there's John K King Used & Rare Books on W. Lafayette in Detroit. The link included here will take you to their crime section.

Which store was it? I'm not sure if there is any stores specifically catered to such genres, but some may carry more books than others.

By the way, I'm sure you've read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. One of my favorites. They weren't serial killers, but they did brutally murder an innocent family and were on the run for awhile. More about this true story: http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/galleries/2...gacy_in_photos/

I forget the exact name of it but it's near Fourth and Liberty and I think there is a big sign that says Mystery and True Crime Books. I will find out for sure when I go back pretty soon.

Yeah, we know you have this serial killer fascination...and it's kinda creepy and weirding us out....just kidding :lol:

If you're ever in the neighborhood, there's John K King Used & Rare Books on W. Lafayette in Detroit. The link included here will take you to their crime section.

Awesome! I'll be making my first visit to Detroit very soon so I will make sure to stop by there. Thanks for telling me about it.

I'd have to second Wolverine's recommendation of In Cold Blood. It was required reading for my English class in my sophomore year of high school. I liked the book so much that I never bothered to give the book back to the school. :lol: My class was the last class to read it, since some parents complained that it was too gory. They probably read some really lame book now instead.

I'm currently reading a book I picked up at John King's before Christmas. It's called Devil's Night And Other True Tales of Detroit by Ze'ev Chafets. I need to read it over from the begining though, since I only got about 1/3 of the way through before finals consumed my life, and I've long forgotten what the begining of the book was about. I'll post my comments here when I finish, although that won't be this weekend, since I am going out of town to crawl around in abandoned buildings.

I'd have to second Wolverine's recommendation of In Cold Blood. It was required reading for my English class in my sophomore year of high school. I liked the book so much that I never bothered to give the book back to the school. :lol: My class was the last class to read it, since some parents complained that it was too gory. They probably read some really lame book now instead.

I'm currently reading a book I picked up at John King's before Christmas. It's called Devil's Night And Other True Tales of Detroit by Ze'ev Chafets. I need to read it over from the begining though, since I only got about 1/3 of the way through before finals consumed my life, and I've long forgotten what the begining of the book was about. I'll post my comments here when I finish, although that won't be this weekend, since I am going out of town to crawl around in abandoned buildings.

where u headed to???

Flint?

Edited by dtown

Devil's Night And Other True Tales of Detroit by Ze'ev Chafets. I need to read it over from the begining though, since I only got about 1/3 of the way through before finals consumed my life, and I've long forgotten what the begining of the book was about. I'll post my comments here when I finish, although that won't be this weekend, since I am going out of town to crawl around in abandoned buildings.

I read that a while back. It doesn't portray Detroit in a positive light at all really, but it's probably not straying from the truth as the city really hit rock bottom in the 80s. There's also plenty of pages devoted to what white suburbanites think of Coleman Young. They really let Chafets know exactly what's on their mind. Plenty of choice Young quotes, though, as well.

And what's all this about going to Gary? I expect pictures, pictures, pictures, galore!

Here's a few more shots of some progress. I put on the wider stoops and steps. I'm not quite sure about the railings. They are definitely a bit more contemporary wrought iron style. I was also considering doing a terraced brick masonry "railing" like you see on a ton of older Detroit homes, but I'm not quite sure what residential codes are on new houses for railings. The older brick terraced railing things are definitely not 42 inches high, which means I would have to scrap them in this design, because a taller version would look really awkward.

You could experiment with how it looks to have the lower brick railing with some sort of extra metal rail on top.

Way to blow my cover, Wolverine! Now when I'm wandering around the city everyone will know who I am! LOL, I just have to give you a hard time about everything, don't I? Really though, don't worry about it. I am going this weekend (I think) as well as next weekend. I've got friends set up for both weekends to guide me around since my time is limited. It should be an interesting experience - I'm definitely looking forward to it. You'll be seeing how a functional city works, while I examine a city that's even more disfunctional than Detroit (is that even possible?!) I'll bring back photos. :)

Aaron, I just picked up the book again tonight. While it does not portray the city in a positive light, it's how things were in the 1980s. There was no "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak. The whole thing paints a rather bleak & hopeless picture of the city.

Has anyone seen the Rossetti Associates conceptualization for River East?

river_east_01.jpg

*GASP* Black people in renditions!

river_east_02.jpg

river_east_03.jpg

Wow. I was hoping for a little more height but if this is what gets built i wont be disappointed at all. It looks contemporary and vibrant, I like that.

LoL at "Black poeple in renditions!"

The architecture looks great in those renderings. I agree that I was hoping to see more height. Since the buildings appear to be mostly white or gray, it would be cool to see some sleek glassy highrise towering above it all. It appears the retail promenade is pushed back to the street between the riverfront and Jefferson, but I'd like to see an additonal one that faces the river. Long strips of retail always bother me, because the side streets get these desolate feelings. That's not to say the Riverfront will be desolate. But I picture the riverwalk being an exciting environment. So as the pedestrian would be able to move from more open plazas of the RenCen to the more bustling and active spaces of Rivereast, to the more quiet and tranquil atmosphere of the residential areas.

--------------------------------------------

Hudkina, thanks for the great comments. I started drawing up floorplans, but didn't finish. When I apply for graduate school, I will have a more developed portfolio, and I intend to turn this into a larger project. The 3d model shows a structure that can feasibly be turned into liveable space with rooms of realistic proportions. The plans call for the back to have a bit more depth to it. The 2nd floor would jut in further to make a sort of small alcove to bring in light to rooms located toward the center of the structure. Every room in each unit would have a window, except for a top floor bathroom which would have large skylights. The project is made up of different sized units. The units that have their doors sharing a porch are the smaller ones. They only have two bedrooms. However, the units that have their own porch have 3 bedrooms with an additional room that can serve as an office/study/rec room/bedroom. That room is located on the garden level, has it's own bathroom, and there is a two car garage facing out the back. I'm questioning whether I want the garage or not. There's actually enough street parking to permit 2 vehicles per unit. However, with current trends today, a project like this might not be workable without garages. Since Michigan is a colder state, people want their garages.

rowhouserender5.jpg

I've done this daylight render. There's no sun, meaning there's not directional light...so it's kind of fake looking. I'm not done with the textures yet also, hence the bright green grass.. The daylight is making the brick a bit lighter than it's supposed to be. When I get the lighting set up correctly, it should look a lot better. Getting the environment right is hard to do. It's one of the reasons why services to do these renders sometimes can cost thousands of dollars. I'm probably going to get help from some of my professors who do this stuff at their firms. Usually they have prebuilt lighting environments where they just drop their building models in. 3ds actually has this sort of system for individual cities all over the world. You can select Detroit and it loads the 24 hour daylight sequence, and you just selected the month, day, and time and the latitude/longitude of where you want your building in the city. However, I'm having trouble getting it to work.

In those renderings, Id like to see the residential building closest to the new parking garage a bit taller. They added an all glass curtain wall on the end nearest to the Ren Cen and I think it would be cool to continue that vertical maybe 10-15 stories. The building would take on an "L" shape and we would have some height in that area.

I finished... well sort of. This is the render I'll at least put in my portfolio. Not everything is textured, and there is still no directional light, so it still looks a bit "video-gamish". Because of that I had to make the windows semi transparent. I'll resolve it when I build my grad school portfolio. For now it works though.

So anyone wanna help me build it in Detroit?

Oh, and I fixed the broken railing to the far left.

finalrender.jpg

Edited by wolverine