Detroit Off Topic

Allan

Last year, it seemed Scott Fountain was not turned on until like June. I may be wrong, but I thought I remember it taking longer than expected.

LMich, I ask what has changed since the 90s? Yes, there is great optimism, and the moving forward of plans and policies, but have the personal lives of residents improved? Probably not. When it becomes easy enough to leave (which would be a sign of neighborhood improvement and increased personal wealth), people will take advantage of the opportunity to further improve their conditions. The suburbs aren't just for white people anymore.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, detroitfan, I would really like to see the actual numbers of the readjustment with in the DPD. When my car was stolen, it took them 3 HOURS to file my police report. There was about 9 or 10 cops just standing around doing "odds and ends", etc. The officer that documented my report had to redo it because he was computer illiterate. Instead of appologizing for taking so long, they all just laughed and made fun of him for being old and incompetent. Though this experience left a sour taste in my mouth, I'm not saying the whole system is like that, but it was a bad impression...this in addition to all the cop horror stories that I've picked up on.

This sounds familiar....

2.5 hours to file a police report...the officer had to redo the report because she was incompetent with computers. Several cops were standing around and doing very little actual work...mostly just joking around.

The officers I have dealt with in the past have all been very courteous and understanding, but the DPD is far from efficient.

I was watching the Tiger game and saw a commercial for the Chevy HHR. Hip-hop themed, and it was filmed downtown as there were shots of Washington Boulevard, State Street, and Trolley Plaza (!). Nice to see when GM films right outside their doorstep.

Has anyone seen the plans for $250 million+ lifestyle center on the former Kmart HQ site? They are planning mostly single story retail with some townhomes and a movie theater. There apparently be at least one condo tower of an unknown height and an up to 18 floor hotel.

I need a way to get from Detroit Metro to Northville and then back again. What is the most economical way to do this? Anyone know of a reasonable car service? Is there a better way?

Metro Airport has all the car rental agencies on its property and all the big ones have shuttle buses from the terminals to their lots.

There is also Metro Cars 734-946-5700 - like a limo service, you would have to call to arrange pick up from the airport and delivery back.

Hey, Kid Rock's on CSI NY tonight (4/26/06). Awesome!

Per his web site: The plot summary: KR's limo driver is murdered in an alley before his onstage encore (KR sings "Bawitdaba"). Suspect No. 1?

You guessed it, and he's less than cooperative with Detective Mac Taylor (Gary Sinise) and Lindsay Monroe (Anna Belknap).

I need a way to get from Detroit Metro to Northville and then back again. What is the most economical way to do this? Anyone know of a reasonable car service? Is there a better way?

Yah, I'd rent a car for cheap or just contact Metro Cars.

www.metrocars.net

that's awesome news. I saw some renderings of a Eastern Market plan, but I had no idea any sort of redevelopment was actually close to becoming reality....truely great news. It could hopefully concentrate what is a metro-area strength into the city: ethnic food. There is great ethnic food throughout the metro area; Ethiopian in southfield/ferndale, indian in farmington, Middle Eastern in dearborn/west bloomfield, etc etc...but to have a center for that in the city is awesome. With all of this I feel like we can reach a critical mass of development within 10 years where the progression of the city is sulf-sustaining. Being able to cast off the grime and dirt of rust-belt midwest, even in the midst of economic problems would be a truely great feat.

Edited by resourcefulidiot

The handover of Eastern Market couldn't happen soon enough, but it's great to hear it's a step closer! There's now a good chance that by this time next year Detroit'll have two highly bolstered tourist assets -- Mexicantown's welcome center and a week-long Eastern Market.

resourcefulidiot, you are right about the metro area's great ethnic foods. It's what makes Detroit a big city. Thai restaurants everywhere, South Asian and Polish in Hamtramck, Vietnamese in Madison Heights (don't forget Windsor), even the occasional Filipino or Nepalese restaurant. ANY new restaurants in the Eastern Market district would help.

Well, a couple friends and I decided to go to Detroit on our last day together for the school year. It was perfect weather on Friday and downtown was moderately busy with pedestrians. The Lafayette Coney Island was packed with customers and we had to stand in a line that went out the doors of Ben & Jerry's for dessert. Campus Martius, Washington Blvd, and Woodward streetscaping looked amazing as well. Things are definitely looking better everyday downtown.

Was that trash downtown? Because I didn't see any.

Sorry I don't have too many pictures Zach. I came to Detroit with dead batteries in my camera. I rubbed the negative ends together and managed to squeeze out 60 photos for an urbex adventure. But after we left the builidng I was only able to get a couple shots.

Well, a couple friends and I decided to go to Detroit on our last day together for the school year. It was perfect weather on Friday and downtown was moderately busy with pedestrians. The Lafayette Coney Island was packed with customers and we had to stand in a line that went out the doors of Ben & Jerry's for dessert. Campus Martius, Washington Blvd, and Woodward streetscaping looked amazing as well. Things are definitely looking better everyday downtown.

I was at Lafayette Friday night as well. Hmmm...maybe like around 9:30ish.

Hey, I was just looking through Flickr, and came across this picture. It's good I did because I wanted to ask if anyone knows if Peterboro Place (International-styled glass building picture) was a new construction or a recladding? It almost seems to me that it is the latter:

141668706_188f9d9cb0_o.jpg

Also, what's the usage (besides the groundfloor retail, of course)?