Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow, that name sucks, lol

im glad all ours have good names.the joe, the palace, comerica park are all good names IMO

I see you left off the best of the worst named Detroit venues...Ford Field. I long for the day that WC Ford sells the team, and hopefully with it, a new stadium name.

Still, even Detroit's corporately-named stadiums don't sound all that bad compared to other's. Ford and Comerica really aren't that bad, as Ford is a family name, and Comerica could be anything. It doesn't scream a product like some of the other ridiculously named stadiums. I actually kind of like how Ford Field sounds, as it's not your typical "stadium."

I remember watching a couple Lions games there. I thought it was pretty ugly and boring. Now that the stadium is officially shut down, I wonder what is going to happen to it. Does anyone know if it will continue to be maintained or is it just going to be boarded up and left there until a developer comes along?

Now if they pull off 4 W's over the Heat, they'll be in good shape.

Gotta say, I was lovin the D last thursday and friday. It was the first time I have been down since last summer. I was by myself, so I got to explore a lot more that if I was with my girlfriend. I got up Friday morning and walked from my hotel, the Ponchatrain, over to the McNamara Fed. Building. Took my test and started for Woodward. Now I know it was the middle of the afternoon, but I really don't get what people are so damn afraid of down there. The police were out in force, like they are every time I go down there and nobody ever gives me or anyone I see any sh*t. I wandered around until I got over to the Ren Cen, got lunch and went back to the hotel. Got in my car and drove up Woodward to 8 mile, windows down. Didn't get car jacked, mugged, called craker or whitey or anything.

Anyway, I'll stop now. The point I'm trying to make and I know I'm making it to people who already know this, is that you can have a good time in Detroit and not have to be constantly worried about being killed.

Now then, bring on Shaq on D Wade.

lol...I live in Detroit, and aside from any abnormal "city" occurances, Detroit's just a normal, everyday-functioning kind of town. You're right, there's no reason to be infatuated with ideology, but I guess the suburbs are just that boring that there needs to be some sort of entertainment and big-deal-making. ;)

yeah, peopel always think Detroit is so bad, like my friend wants to go see the Warped Tour this summer, but she was dissapointed because it wasnt in Pontiac, she said "its in downtown Detroit, its like ghetto isnt it?"

then i said"NO!!!not downtown, downtown is nice, go there, and youll have a good time,i mean, Detroit has some bad neighbor hoods, but what city doesnt. I never feel afraid when im in Detroit, but then again, i dont go into the bad neighborhoods, but what reason do i have to? As long as you dont go somewhere that looks like trouble, youll have no problems. "

i think after saying that, i got another person exited and willing to enjoy and check out The D.

im proud

Edited by dtown

The problem with Detroit is mainly media driven. For so long it's had such a reputation as a "bad ass" town. Things are changing. I'll admit tho, I was watching Scary Movie 4 and I laughed my ASS off when I was watching the "news report" in Detroit. Everytime I hear someone knocking on motown, it's always someone who's never been there, someone who knows nothing about the history, the culture, the great wealth, and so on about Detroit. I took some of my friends to Detroit when I was back in MI a couple of weeks ago, and they were blown away by how much of a good time it was. All it really takes is to show a person how Detroit is to change their minds. It's the people who have never been there, know nothing about it, and still think it's cool to talk about it, like it's this big scary place.

I agree, but the people that talk about Detroit the worst of the worst are actually suburbanites and ex-Detroiters, not outsiders. I've found that, actually, those from out of state are far more neutral and open-minded than the people that actually live in the area. It's not just the media being unfair to Detroit, but actually a very large portion of Detroiters. The civic pride is nearly all gone. A sizable chunk of Detroiters have said that if they had the means to move from the city, they would. That's why I never get people blaming all of Detroit's percetion on the media.

Edited by Lmichigan

As of Monday when I picniced on Belle Isle, the Scott Fountain was still not on. I have seen crews there frequently over the past month (at least), and down in the tunnels that run underneath it. I hope it will be on soon, it's one of my favorite spots in the city.

Nothing to bring to discussion here, just a random thought. :wacko:

I posted it in a thread out on the big board, figured I'd let the rest of you know...

I'm a new first time homeowner (pending closing next week) of a house in the City of Detroit. :yahoo:

I'm as happy as just about anyone could be. :D I'm excited to join the ranks of others on this board.

LMich, the property just kind of fell into my hands. I know a guy who was selling it, and I was looking for after I graduate from MSU next year.

So I talked to a couple buddies who are going to rent the place from me for the 14 months that I will be finishing school and getting married in East Lansing. It's funny that I've never been a huge fan of Lansing, but now that it looks like I will be moving away, I'm really starting to miss the comforts that have been home for the last 22 years.

By the way, the house is just north of 7 mile. I have a nice view of the U of D Jesuit athletic complex.

Cool. 7 Mile east or west? I'm just trying to figure it out to see if I know the area as my dad lived on Schaffer between 7 and 8 Mile on the westside.

Yeah, Lansing's a place that can be kind of underwhelming, but a city that one can get lazily comfortable in, which isn't always a good thing. lol Maybe one day it will actually be a place that actually attracts people again. lol