Detroit Off Topic

Allan

Totally agree on the laziness happening towards the end LMich. It almost seemed like they were just walking around. Fortunately, that steal made up for it in the end.

Statedude, I'm looking forward to the day I will become a homeowner. I wouldn't even care if the house is a rundown piece of sh*t. I'd fix it up as a hobby.... just as long as it's structurally safe and the plumbing/electrical is all good. Although sometime if I ever had the money, I'd like to take on doing a major home renovation of a house in the city. I pretty much know how to build a house except for, as mentioned, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC. Guess, those construction classe, studying building sites, and doing habitat for humannity for 8 years really pays off.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For our high school's service week I worked at the local zoo for the first two service weeks, and then for the Greater Lansing Housing Coalition for the last two. The GLHC is an organization that renovates (somtimes restores) condemned houses here in Lansing (though, they take on unique projects in some of the suburbs, and small, historic villages around here), and sells them as starter houses. Man, is that some hard work. They made us do everything from sandblasting basement walls, to landscaping, to busting up concrete driveways with sledgehammers and hauling the pieces away (not as fun as it sounds)...all and all, it was definitely a learning experience. Renovation and restoration of historic homes is definitely not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

BTW, there is nothing more disappointing than seeing a good sports team play lazily. Pistons seem kind of known for letting teams narrow huge leads, especially in the fourth quarter.

Edited by Lmichigan

Renovation and restoration of historic homes is definitely not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Tell me about it. My house was built 130 years ago and at one point (in the 1970's) was condemned. Eventually somebody bought it and brought it up to code, but when we bought it in '95 we had to basically gut the entire thing and start from scratch. The cool thing is that we found a bunch of "hidden" stuff in the walls including a baseball card from the 1930's.

Amazing Tiger's game tonight! It was amazing downtown! 37,101 person crowd. Lively is an understatement. We actually got the wave to go around, 5 TIMES!!!!! Pizza Papilis was jammed and there were many people walking around during the day and at night! An amazing night! I also showed my family and friend more of the good things happening downtown. My mom even pointed out that she should have brought her camera and that the new YMCA was beautiful. She also pointed out a new loft development. My friend said, "Look how nice those condos are going to be." It was some condo development on Broadway. It was actually the first time I have walked down all of Broadway. I have been in the parts bordering that area but never Broadway. Greektown and Campus Martius, but not in between.

Edited by rbdetsport

You probably were one of the people who walked past me today. I was the idiot who kept stopping every 10 feet to take a photo of something. :lol:

There were tons of people downtown today. I spent most of the day around the Campus Martius area, which was pretty much full of people, even through the hottest part of the day.

I did venture up to Grand Circus with the intent to explore an abandoned building, but the throngs of suburbanites wandering around made a quick, unnoticed entry impossible. Oh well, I'll get the chance to sometime in the not too distant future.

I took off and headed to Slows about 7:30 or so...I'm still not sure where the party I was supposed to be going with went to. Maybe they got lost.....

You probably were one of the people who walked past me today. I was the idiot who kept stopping every 10 feet to take a photo of something. :lol:

LOL! I am sure we probably did cross paths. Were you on Broadway around 5:30? Hope to see some of those pictures.

Edited by rbdetsport

Haha, I must have missed you all. I wasn't planning on being in Detroit that long on Saturday, but my boss called me and said to take the day off, so I was there for a good chunk of the day. I was at Pizzapaplis as well and the line for Coldstone was ridiculously long. I'm looking forward to going to more Tigers games this summer, I just got to save up the gas money. I've already spent about $300 in gas the past 3 weeks driving all over the state, LOL.

Rb, I was not around Broadway at 5:30...I was in an abandoned building. I regret not exploring further, but I was alone and was quite uneasy about this particular building for multiple reasons. All in all, it was probably a good thing that I didn't go beyond the first floor, because I would've gotten locked inside, which would've meant risking a breaking and exiting charge.

Wolverine, I see how it is...you're in Detroit randomly and you don't bother to call. You missed a very cool photo opportunity. ;)

I've had a new phone for awhile and still re-entering the numbers since they forgot to transfer them, LOL. Missed photo opportunity? Whitney Building? I was with a big group of people and not sure if they'd like to urban explore on an 80 degree day. I managed to pull off going into the Globe Tradiing company though since we got there 15 minutes before the rest of the group.

The worst thing in Game 4 was where they let Shaq open for a giant, gliding lay-up, a freakin' lay-up, something that Shaq hadn't done in years, lol. That's when you know you're playing poorly. You expect him to do monster dunks, but when you get Shaq showing athleticism like that, you're not doing your job.

Hudkinda,

points in the paint in game 4 were 30 to 26...considering we were facing Shaq, I'll take -4 anytime. But you're right...2 fast break points in that game is just stupid.

I just hope people stop blaming this on Flip Saunders.

Flip did not shoot only 54% from the line.

Flip did not get this team into foul trouble.

Flip did not shoot only 39% from the field.

Hudkinda,

points in the paint in game 4 were 30 to 26...considering we were facing Shaq, I'll take -4 anytime. But you're right...2 fast break points in that game is just stupid.

I just hope people stop blaming this on Flip Saunders.

Flip did not shoot only 54% from the line.

Flip did not get this team into foul trouble.

Flip did not shoot only 39% from the field.

Yes, but coaches bear some brunt of a teams loss, period. Coaches aren't (or shouldn't be) immune from criticism.

Dont they have to announce something otherwise the contract can be given to someone else?

They could always go back to city council/planning commission and get an extension, which is almost assuredly what will happen. But, they can be denied, and taken off the project, and then the city would be free to choose another developer.

Well, a great season this Pistons played. Although it sucks we aren't even Eastern conference champs this year, we are still an awesome team. Hope we can fine tune some of the issues that became noticeable during the playoffs.

Remember a page or two back where I said how wonderful people were after we won the game against Cleveland? I hate to throw dirt, but the behavior was completely the opposite tonight. The first sign came as no one was given noisemakers this time at the game. My friend asked one of the security people why, and it was because a good number of them ended up scattered along I-75. Okay whatever. But the big problem was the fighting going on within the palace tonight. Forget all that basketbrawl crap we heard about all season last year. I couldn't believe that there were so many fights breaking out at a freakin' palacevision game tonight. You could tell who was there to watch the game, and who was there just to stir up trouble. Not to judge people by what they wear, but it seemed like anyone in Pistons attire were focused on the game and had great behavior. Then there was the freakin' preppy white asshats who came completely wasted and were throwing stuff and starting fights. Everytime someone would stir something up, they would mute the game on the scoreboard, turn all the lights back on in the stadium and chide us how we had to be good behaved fans and if we continued our bad behavior, they would keep the lights on and throw people out of the stadium. They talked over the microphone as if we were children. It was ridiculous, and a good number of people got up even before we knew the game would come up as a loss. It's awful to see people act like this. I've been around drunk fans for four years now going to football games at Michigan stadium, but at least people at those games are civil and don't start arguing or beating their own fans up.

Well, now that this season is over, I can start focusing on the Tigers again. Wolverine may be watching from a suite.