Detroit Off Topic

Allan

You are far more forgiving than I. I just am so disappointed at how badly the Pistons played. Heck, the Heat didn't even have Wade playing at a 100% (had a terrible flu), and they still managed to crush the Pistons, tonight. I wasn't impressed, at all. They just looked pitiful tonight. And, I'm not a basebally fan, so this is about it for me. lol

Edited by Lmichigan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone else going to Comerica Park on Sunday?

i couldnt believe it, it was the first time i couldnt get awesome seats at a Tigers game.I had to settle for mediocre ones. :(

I'm going to be at the game tomorrow. Got a group of 20 tickets a while back. Sounds like we're going to have perfect weather :thumbsup:

So I walk out of the train station in downtown Philadelphia yesterday and the first thing I see is an abandoned building with whales painted on the side of it. Then I walk down Market street and see 6 other people wearing the old english D...there is no place like home.

While driving back to EL after the baseball game last night and getting stuck in 45 minutes of 5mph due to 96 being down to one lane ( :( ) I had plenty of time to ponder various things. I'm just going to throw them out there since today is a slow day in the office:

1. Wednesday I spent the whole work day with a good friend of mine, Brother Francis Boylan, President of Holy Cross Childrens Center. HCCS's Samaritan Center located on Conner just east of 94 is without a doubt the best social resource for the unemployed, chidren, and elderely in Detroit. It is absolutely amazing the work they do there to help people find jobs, care for the elderly and promote education to all ages. Their operations consume the entire former Mercy Hospital. I encourage everyone to take a look at their social initiatives (Holy Cross Childrens Services). They will break ground in early July on the first built from scratch nursing home in the city of detroit in the last 40 years. They will also be building a rec center across the street on newly aquired land. It will be called the "Ford Welness Center".

2. I hate Todd Jones. I stuck around the ballpark far later than I hoped last night, just to see Jones blow the game. Nothing has changed since he was here 5 years ago, and he is a downer to this great season. Also, It is sad to think that Zumaya may be gone soon. He really is a crowd pleaser. I hope Dombrowski keeps him around.

3. Why was there a concert at CMP tonight? I'm all about having events in the park, but it was pretty lame when there were only 15-20 people out there watching because it was the middle of the work week. And while I'm talking about CMP, the CSP construction appears to be moving along very well. But why do they have to have the lights off on Cadillac Square, it made finding my black car a bit difficult considering there was no building on the Monroe block to help keep my car lit.

4. Cheli's Chili bar is very good. The rooftop bar was a great atmosphere before the Tigers game. I just hope they do something about the wireless internet problem...I could not get a strong enough signal from COPA. :silly:

5. Oh yeah, and my weekly contemplation about why in the hell the Scott Fountain is not on came up in thought as well.

that is all

Edited by statedude3

I just read the rankings of the fattest, and fittest cities I am happy to report that for the first time in years Detroit is getting lower on the list this year it's 15 the previous year it was 3rd. Does anyone know how the cities on this list can change so dramatically?

Well, seeing as how GRDadof3 decided to close the GR forum topic so abruptly without letting anyone else voice their opinions, I guess I'll have to do it here. And pretty much all I have to say is, that's exactly what resoursefulidiot was talking about.

EDIT: Sorry I had to post it here. I hope it doesn't spiral out of control.

Edited by Ka3kab

Sheesh, 180 something parking tickets! Although, I do know a lot of people who are up in the 60's to 80's of tickets in Ann Arbor, but they pay them all after a few months. I guess Detroit is much different story since I deliberately get parking tickets since they are cheaper than paying the meter. I parked unpaid for 14 hours at a meter last week and my fine was a whopping $3. When I get a couple, I then go online to pay them. It's much easier than dealing with pesky change and meters. Funny thing was it costed 90 cents an hour to park at the meter, LOL. I wonder when the city will figure out they are being ripped off.

It's crazy to think that that many people are leaving the city. I don't take too much stock in estimates, since they are just that. However, the city definitely is still loosing people. For every single person that moves into a loft or condo near the core, 2 or 3 families with children leave the city. I don't blame them though...there is a lot of crap that the residents here have to put up with. If I was going to raise a family, I doubt I'd do it in the city...not after the house has been broken into, the truck has been broken into, people have gotten robbed at the corner bar. People dump trash on vacant lots...landlords evict tenants and leave piles of debris spilling out into the streets...the schools are far from superior....