Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tell you what allan before you know it all the crazy things that make the D what it is will become normal and everything else will become crazy. Your street smarts will improve, your awareness of your surrounding will become second nature. your ability to detect dangerous situations and more importantly avoid them will also improve. The stress you're probably experiencing worrying about some low life stealing your car or breaking into your house will disappear. You'll see!

I thought you guys would be interested in an article in the local news section of the Detroit Free Press today. It talks about how this is the 50th year that the Packard Plant is idle. Do you guys think it will ever get renovated or torn down in the near future?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...50357/1001/NEWS

Edited by ZachariahDaMan

This morning, at approximately 10:30, Doug McIntosh, president of the board of directors at Preservation Wayne, as well as a principal at McIntosh Poris Associates architects in Birmingham, passed away as the result of a Pulmonary Embolism.

He has been responsible for loft development forums, and has worked on numerous historic preservation initiatives in Detroit. He has worked on plans to save structures such as the Book-Cadillac Hotel, Michigan Central Depot, and the David Broderick Tower. He also worked on adaptive reuse plans for the Madison-Lenox Hotel and the Statler Hotel.

He was responsible for Loft Development Forums, working in collaboration with the Greater Downtown Partnership, as well as for numerous preservation initiatives in the City of Detroit. He has been a leader behind major restoration efforts on several notable historic structures including the Book Cadillac Hotel, Michigan Central Depot, the Broderick Tower as well as leading efforts with alternate reuse scenarios to save the Madison-Lenox and Statler Hotels from demolition.

Doug was a member of the Southwest Detroit Business Association's Private Investments Committee and was on the Board of Advisors for the Mexicantown Community Development Corporation. Doug was also a board member of the Church of Messiah Housing Corporation and an Advisor to the East Jefferson Business Association on Detroit

I am unaware of any plans for Wilbur Wright School. All I know is that with no windows and holes in the roof, the place is deteriorating very quickly. The last time I was there water was gushing out of a broken pipe on the first floor. Most of the first floor was flooded, as was the basement. The second floor was ok, but the roof leaks. Obviously the more things are destroyed, the higher the cost of rehab will be. Structurally it is fine, but between vandals and water damage, it is not getting any better.

That's incredibly sad news about Mr. McIntosh. I'd often contacted their firm seeking information, and they were usually pretty good on getting back to me. In fact, I was in email correspondance with Mr. Poris, not too long ago.

BTW, for DetroitYes, I was doing some research concerning parking at the Renaissance Center (too much or too little?), and thought I'd share some of my information.

According to the Parking Director of the Renaissance Center, they currently have quite an excess of parking with the completion of the Beaubien Place/Asian Village Garage. In fact, they point to the discounted rates at many of the surrounding garages and early arrival specials as proof. They say they regularly do supply and demand studies for parking for the center, so there is some rhyme and reason to the madness.

They also said that the Beaubien Place has a high vacancy rate, but that's in anticipation of the development of the E1 and E2 parcels expected to start next spring. Though, if they decided to include their own parking (under and/or beneath the developments), that there may still be an excess, though not as much.

I'm writing back to see if they can give me some concrete numbers on the number of parking spaces, and the number used, and will report back if I get that.

Funny you should ask, because I also emailed the owner/developer of the Miller Center Garage. He told me that the garage is in "ecellent condition" and he has no plans to demo or refurbish/renovate it.

As for Beaubien Place, I was talking saying that there is vacancy in parking, not the retail.