Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quick q... got a date tonight, planning on eating in midtown somewhere... I know there is that ben & jerry's in compuware and I thought there was also some ice cream joint in greektown... anyone know how late they are open on fridays?

Edited by tapezord

I think this is the most important quote in the article:

Police Chief Mike McCoy stressed that no tourists had been killed, and said most law-abiding citizens are not at risk.

"If you're not selling drugs, if you don't house people selling drugs, if you don't have the proceeds of drugs in your home, then your chances of being involved in a homicide are pretty slim," he said

There's nothing the police can do to end murder in Detroit. If they could wave a magic wand and end the problems (mainly drugs) that ultimately lead to murder, they'd do it, but that's not going to happen. As long as there are drugs on the street, there will be murder.

Edited by hudkina

I agree with that. The art of policing is in its nature reactive. That is their job, to act to situations, though, there are significant preventive measures they can take on some crime. Community involvement is proactive, and the only thing that will continue to drop the murder rate. My only point was that even if tourist and law-abidding citizens are not targeted, you can't say that the difference between 300 or 900 murders wouldn't mean something and put more people at risk. The whole disconnect between downtown residents and visitors and "everybody else" is an ideology I'm not going to accept. What effects one effects the other, if even to varying degrees.

I'm in agreement with Lmichigan on this one. Increase in drug related murders is probably is an indicator of increase in drug related crimes in general and for that matter drug use. Those problems don't happen in isolation. When left unchecked, they can have a profound affect on a community. I don't think that the Chief McCoy is unaware or ignorent of that. Nevertheless, the statement is too simplistic and at least a bad PR.

I can't feel sorry for the people who are murdered because of the drug trade. I can't feel sorry for the sobbing mother who's "innocent" son was murdered. If the kid hadn't gotten involved with drugs then he wouldn't have gotten himself in that situation, and if the parent had actually raised her child, it would have been easier for him to make better decisions.

Also, as far as preventitive measures are concerned, what would you suggest? It seems that the most reasonable things are always challenged by the ACLU and other groups. It's similar to Bush's handling of 9/11. How much liberty can you give up to ensure the safety of our city?

I think you read me wrong. What I meant by preventitive measures are things like simply continuing D.A.R.E. programs (instead of cutting them), a committment to community policing, things like that. Anything further would be oppresive and thus ineffective in the long run. Preventitive would be catching criminals before they become criminals, and largely lies in the hands of the community, not the police force, which again is a reactive orginization by its nature. While the DPD has many places in which it could do better, we're not going to see any huge drops in murders until more communities start to take back their neighborhoods, and who knows when that will happen. It's really a huge social issue facing almost all of our nation's inner-cities. And, there is no quick or easy solution.

I'm still not ready to judge how large the reduction will be in murders this year, or how many extra the city will have over last year. This may turn out to be another huge drop in homicides. Who knows?

Edited by Lmichigan

It's also hard to deal with the problem when the culture glorifies violence and lawless behavior. I know this is playing with stereotypes, but inner-city culture generally revolves around ego. And any swipe or minor violation of that ego can lead to violence of varying degrees. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in all cultures (i.e. Sports culture definitely BREEDS such behavior), but you're more likely to find violence due to egotism in the inner-city than in a suburban neighborhood. If you change the basis of the culture to respect as opposed to egotism, I'm sure you solve many of the root problems associated with high inner-city crime.

Hey,

I just discovered Hot Fudge Detroit (), something I heard made reference to on detroit.com a few times over the last year or so. Needless to say I thought it was all a joke, at first, but then I went to their "general discussions" board and nearly fell out my chair (not laughing).

Edited by Lmichigan

I can't feel sorry for the sobbing mother who's "innocent" son was murdered. If the kid hadn't gotten involved with drugs then he wouldn't have gotten himself in that situation, and if the parent had actually raised her child, it would have been easier for him to make better decisions.

i know its not extremely often, but you ever heard of "uncoachable" players? same thing here.

its no myth that you can do your best to raise a child, yet he still grows up to be a murderer. a bad seed does not necessarily mean that he was raised by a bad parent. a kid can't always be monitored. it what he picks up on the streets or in school.

i know its not extremely often, but you ever heard of "uncoachable" players? same thing here.

its no myth that you can do your best to raise a child, yet he still grows up to be a murderer. a bad seed does not necessarily mean that he was raised by a bad parent. a kid can't always be monitored. it what he picks up on the streets or in school.

I definitely don't subscribe to that belief. That would imply that some humans are born criminals and can't escape their "destiny," and I've seen nothing to substantiate that claim I hear people make, sometime.

I don't know. A good parent(or more importantly parents) can instill values in their child that trump anything the streets throw at them.

Well, with all those single mothers in the city... one parent can only do so much. these kids need some real father figures as well, to teach them things that the mother isn't capable of teaching (hopefully i don't incite riot with that statement). who knows? not many people agree on the effects of "street life vs. parenting". its a touchy subject.

LMich, i've ran into many mothers who have showered their kids with love and proper parenting, yet still run around rampant like they are untouchable. humans aren't born criminals but then again not every kid aspires to take the right routes. the parents may value hard, honest work, whereas the kid looks for the quick sleazy buck. He watches his neighborhood drug smuggler earn in 5 days to what his father earns in a month. To some, it motivates them pursuing an education so they wouldn't end up like dad. The others, well, they look for a different outlet. And i've lived beside these types throughout my adolescence. its not that they can't escape their destiny; its that some would rather choose the bumpier road to achieve it, and one day they will be forced to pay their dues

Edited by illmatic774

In that case the parent needs to instill (and I mean instill) the REASON why they should choose the life of hard work over the life of the quick buck.

And about the single mothers in the city. That's probably one the biggest factors in why inner-city culture is the way it is. This may come off sounding stereotypical, but from my limited experience with "inner-city" culture, it seems almost as if having a baby at a very early age is seen as something to strive for. Getting pregnant at 16 (by a guy who she'll never see again) ISN'T something a girl should be excited about. It should be derided and disparaged. A child isn't a trophy! A child is a commitment that should ONLY be made when the parents (and that's with an "S") are capable. Trust me, I'm not a neoevangelical whackjob who thinks sex before marriage is a sin. I just think that the phenomenon of wanting (and raising) a baby alone and at such an early age is a terrible life choice. By all means, have all the sex you want, but USE A CONDOM!

Edited by hudkina