Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well,

MDOT has been planning the New Center Intermodal Station across from the current Amtramk station for a few years, now. I think what's been holding that up is the Feds since no one can seem to decided for any forseeable time the future of Amtramk. If built, it is designed so that it could also be a northern terminus/station for a light rail line up Woodward.

and where is the current station at?

i think it would be sooo cool if Detroit had a nice, modern, large staion to greet train passengers coming to Detroit, especially if that midewestern high speed rail line ever gets built( which would be awesome), and maybe connect them with the light rail line up woodward if it gets built.

Very tacky, and the siteplan for the proposed intermodal station doesn't look much better. People would be hard pressed, these days with the decline of Amtrak, to find a good station. Heck, the one here in Lansing (East Lansing proper) is literally a little shack very similar to Detroit's and tucked out of sight and out of mind. If you didn't know where it was, you'd never think it was a train station, and it's nearly totally invisible from the road. If Detroit is banking on Amtrak to get a station built for possible light rail, they'll be waiting for years to come.

It's been painted over in a tan color. I can't verify if it will be replaced with anything. Hopefully, a building. ;)

Also, a new sign is up at the site of the Port Authority Terminal...eh? eh? fingers crossed.

And a petty little tid bit...the Starbucks sign is up on both corners of the Ellington (Woodward and Mack). Nice to see!

i saw this show on the history channel today about moving buildings, and they showed how they moved the gem theater. it was pretty cool. It was actually a world record for a while. Anybody else see that show before?

My company had a meeting one time at the Gem and Century Theatres a few years back. We got a tour and saw a film on how they moved it.

They have a video about the move here: Gem & Century Theatre Web Site

Here's a picture of Detroit's POS Amtrak station on Baltimore Ave. I've gotten off the train here twice. They are attempting this old small-town friendly sort of style inside. It was cheaply done, terrible.

Amtrak.jpg

The exterior looks surprisingly smaller than what it is. It seems a lot bigger inside, but still hardly comparable to Michigan Central Station.

Here's a picture of Detroit's POS Amtrak station on Baltimore Ave. I've gotten off the train here twice. They are attempting this old small-town friendly sort of style inside. It was cheaply done, terrible.

Amtrak.jpg

The exterior looks surprisingly smaller than what it is. It seems a lot bigger inside, but still hardly comparable to Michigan Central Station.

You think that's bad? Here's Lansing/East Lansing's newer station:

station_lns.jpg

E-Lans_6a.jpg

It makes me sick how much the government has pretty much crippled passenger rail in this country between many cities. Though there was a huge drop in popularity, the government is in essence trying to kill Amtrak by neglect.

The old stations here in the city were much better.

Lansing Union Depot / Pere Marquette and Michigan Central Depot (now a restaurant)

UnionStationLansing2004-1[AlanLoftis].jpg

Lansing Grand Trunk Western Depot (vacant)

209230773_b8077fbf52_o.jpg

Edited by Lmichigan