Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I don't think it's anything unusual unless the crack was absolutely massive. The warehouse portion has some cracking issues as well. There's a very large one near a column in the visitor's lockeroom too. Ford Field is a very large structure, so I don't find it unusual that there would be some cracks from settling.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I'd share this...

In my research of Detroit architecture and development projects, I got in contact with Michael Poris of McIntosh Poris Associates. I asked him about a variety of things including whether the plans on their site for Lafayette Park were just concepts or the real deal. To my surprised, he told me that not only are the plans the real deal, but that they've already been approved/given blessing by the historic commission and city. He says what's holding up the developer (does anyone know the developers of these?) are some deed restrictions, but that they plan to move the project foward by next year. This includes the townhomes you see on their website. I've always thought Lafayette Park would be a great district to add more density to. Hopefully, if things go well, we might even see new towers. Imagine how cool that would be.

He also told me about a project I have no idea about, and that is 66 new townhouses across Lafayette where Rochdale housing used to be. I'm not sure where that is but he said that he'd be before the BZA (not sure what that is) next tuesday, Aug 22, and that he'd like to see some interested Detroiter's there for support.

Just passing on some info.

Edited by Lmichigan

BZA= Board of Zoning Appeals

You might want to offer your insight about this over at DY one the forumers lives nearby a got hearning notice for the project. It's titled: DuCharme Place Partners LLC and 1544-56 E. Lafayette( for some reason it won't let me link directly to the thread)

Edited by detroitfan

DetroitYES has become incredibly trite. There's a handful of respected members there, but the rest post absolute nonesense. Let's not forget to make 50 threads about the Broderick, 30 about Cheesecake factory, and 10,000 about parking structures with ground floor retail. Don't forget to have at least one post per thread with "tear that schitt down" followed by 300 or so mispelled, mailed letters to Rock Financial :P

DetroitYES has become incredibly trite. There's a handful of respected members there, but the rest post absolute nonesense. Let's not forget to make 50 threads about the Broderick, 30 about Cheesecake factory, and 10,000 about parking structures with ground floor retail. Don't forget to have at least one post per thread with "tear that schitt down" followed by 300 or so mispelled, mailed letters to Rock Financial :P

Thank god I'm not the only one who sees this. I dont have a problem with useless message board banter (I belong to another board that is known worldwide for such crap), but DY is getting a bit out of hand, in my honest opinion.

You know what I wonder, is how some of the people at Detroit Yes are able to keep good enough of a job to be able to pay for an internet connection. There are also some interesting conversations there though, and despite some of the people, I don't think it's a bad site.

Bah! It looks like the city's online property tax database will become unusable on September 1st unless you are a property owner in the city.

Data retrievals are free until September 1st, 2006, after that date users will be charged a $2.00 convenience fee, payable on a credit card, to retrieve property information.

Note: Detroit Taxpayers will still be able to view their own parcel information for free.

Ummm, ok. So you're going to make me go all the way to the city county building everytime I want some info? What a load of crap that is....

All that stuff is public record. I'm pretty sure that it's against the law for them to charge you $2.00 to go see the stuff at City Hall. They really don't want you to obtain those records...after all, that does require them to do real, actual work, but if you go downtown to city hall and don't mind waiting a while and putting up with a few pretty rude people, you can get all the tax info.

Today, i read an article in the Flint Journal that said that Detroit's povery rate had dropped! Actually, its no longer the poorest city with over 65,000 people, unfortunatly, Flint is now.

Anyway, its good to hear some good news about Detroit.

Edited by dtown

It dropped 1% or something ridiculous like that to 31% instead of 32%, and is still number two for large American cities. That is nothing to celebrate about. Cleveland at #1, was only a percentage point higher. Nothing is changing, and least not significantly when it comes to poverty rates. Detroit is just about as poverty-stricken as it ever was, unfortunately.

Edited by Lmichigan

I was just thinking that hopefully, i was a sign of what might be to come in Detroit. While it hasnt dropped much yet, it has dropped, and maybe it will continue to drop, but at a faster rate.

but yeah, there probobly was no use for the exclamation mark.

Anyway though, i was thinking earlier today, and i though about things that downtown Detroit needed to compete with the suburbs. I think that Dretoit needs a downtown department store of somekind. Like a Marshall Feilds or something, to try to get shoppers to come down and shop there, and make downtown a shopping destination for the area. Kina like what the Somerset mall has become.

There are few downtown department stores left in this country, and the trend doesn't look like it's going to reverse. I see a downtown shopping center in downtown's future, but with the current trends, I don't see a full-scale department store setting up downtown anytime soon. The way downtowns are coming back is by filling niche markets with unique retail. At the moment, enclosed malls may be becoming less popular, but not the popular movement is "lifestyle centers." It will be quite some time before that trend swings back towards centralized, downtown department stores.