Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More great stuff from the mayor

Mayor Kilpatrick to Steve Wilson: "Stop hiring prostitutes! Stop hiring prostitutes, Fat Ass!"

http://detnow.com/wxyz/ys_investigations/a...3800180,00.html

The real interesting part of the article is that the head of the water department makes $240,000 / year, but isn't part of the 10% pay cut. Now I don't if that salary is what someone in that position should make or not, but the point is that if they are to forcing these people living paycheck to paycheck to take a 10% pay cut, then so should everybody.

This all goes back to leadership and leading by example. In Freman Hendrix's Drew and Mike interview (listen here) he makes a great point about this.

The more I hear from him the more I realize that he really is the right person for the city. Not because of KK and his ineptitude, but because he is a leader and already has plans to make the city great again.

Here's another great find which is an editorial from Frank Beckmann (WWJ radio)

http://www.detnews.com/2005/editorial/0505/20/A11-187392.htm

Edited by ebaldy

I'm new here and hope that this post goes well.

I lived in Columbus, OH while in school, and saw some impressive parking garages (one even had a planters built into the side with plants that hung over the side of each floor). Detroit's parking garages, in my opinion, lack motivation, a good architect, or a good city planner.

You're a quick learner even if you are from Ohio State! LOL! I'm just kidding, I moved here 5 years ago and don't want anything to do with college rivalries.

Are you originally from the Detroit area, or just move up here? If you're new, you should take one of the Preservation Wayne walking which are every Saturday morning at 10:00, and Tuesdays at 5:30. Check out their website for information on the various tours and where they meet, or just PM me and I'll fill you in.

Although most of Detroit's parking garages are terrible, there are a few good ones lurking around.

Welcome to the forum, EJayCorvette!

I agree with you about our parking garages. Some of them are so ugly! Fortunately, a lot of the newer ones are actually pretty nice. The new Opera House Garage is really nice. It is designed to mimic the opera house and will have an attached three story retail structure, with a grocery store and a few other shops.

I still haven't stopped in to see the rendering of the new 1001 Woodward Garage. I keep forgetting. I'll be downtown one day next week, so I will have to remember to look at it.

Yes, everyone who goes downtown, make sure you stop into the lobby at 1001 Woodward (the black skyscraper at Campus Martius). There is a rendering of the parking structure that is being constructed on the building's north side. It actually looks NICE...then again, it is a rendering, and could turn out to be a disaster. I'm taking the optimistic approach, and will be expecting a well-thought out structure that will flow with the revival of Lower Woodward/Campus Martius.

I was there tonite and I was going to take a picture of it but all the doors were locked. I peered in and the person behind the desk was just sitting there staring at me. I was quite disappointed. On the garage you can see where the retail is going to go. It doesnt look like much space but at least some retail will be there. Michi do you know of the exterior of the garage will match 1001 woodward?

On that site the rendering of 1001 gives you just a sliver of the parking garage. It looks like it will be similar to the style of the building which is a good thing. The building desperately needs some exterior lighting however. When I was in Campus Martius everything around it, except for Guardian still, was pretty well lit and inviting. 1001 on the other hand was just a massive dark object. Hopefully once the residential is put into the building they will make it more inviting with some exterior lighting.

I was just downtown running around this afternoon and stopped in at 1001. The office doors were closed, so I peered in to see the rendering of the garage. It wasn't the same one as I saw before, which made me nervous. Though, I saw it from far away, it looked different and not like the nice, textured, off-white stone rendering I originally saw.

Hopefully, the original one will stand.

Anyway, the guy's name is Pierre. He is VERY nice and is always willing to give out information to interested passer bys.

Nice website find, Allan!

From earlier this year...

Detroit_22.jpg

Floorplan layouts

Detroit_23.jpg

Views of the city

Detroit_24.jpg

Detroit_25.jpg

Detroit_26.jpg

Detroit_27.jpg

How do you put exterior lighting on a black building? I think the only thing they can do is turn on all the lights on each floor.

LIKE DIIS:

detroit50_jpg.jpg

*By the way, while out on my run, I ran down to the new extention of the prominade. It's open all the way down to Rivard now. If you go down there though, watch out for the seagull about midway through that is sitting on a nest of eggs. She's one moody b****! ;)

Thats exactly what I was thinking they could do for the building. Put the lighting in the corners. Man that really looks good. Why dont they do that all the time? And what was the occasion for them to put it on in that picture?

Wolverine: You dont have to have a building with color or setback to be able to put up exterior lighting. Most all buildings look great at night with a wash of light on them. I do like the way it looks on the structure.

Michi you wouldnt happen to have any more pics of it would you?

That lighting was done for the Motown Winter Blast this year, which was a preparation for the Super Bowl events. They did a great job on it and the lights switched colors.

Great pictures Michi! Judging by their site (thanks Allan), it sounds like they will be selling these. Most of the place are lease or rent, with Kales and LOMR being rent for 5 years, then they'll be for sale. Other than Riverfront, I haven't heard of condos for sale downtown. Does anyone have an idea on the price/size for 1001?

I guy I work with is looking at moving downtown and I am trying to tag along for showings! We got to go up the 9th floor of the Kales to look at a place, but the leasing offices for the rest of the lofts were closed.

I really hope they consider keeping the lighting as a permanent thing and not just something for the Winter Blast and the Super Bowl. 1001 Woodward may soon have some of the coolest living spaces in the city. I would kill to be able to look out my window at Campus Martius.

Michi you wouldnt happen to have any more pics of it would you?

A few more at my disposal:

MICHIGAN-LAFAYETTE, WEST/SOUTHWEST

63_jpg.jpg

DUE SOUTH INTO CANADA

P1010003_JPG.jpg

THE THING THAT STARTED IT ALL!

56_jpg.jpg

59_jpg.jpg

60_jpg.jpg

I WOULD BUY THE CONDO WITH THIS VIEW

61_jpg.jpg

70_jpg.jpg

78_jpg.jpg

PEERING DOWN THE BACKBONE OF MICHIGAN

66_jpg.jpg

THIS WAS ON A THURSDAY, I BELIEVE

67_jpg.jpg

MIDTOWN, NEW CENTER, AND BEYOND

72_jpg.jpg

MR. BOOK CADILLAC

74_jpg.jpg

MR. DAVID STOTT OUTSIDE YOUR BEDROOM WINDOW

75_jpg.jpg

THE WASHINGTON BOULEVARD

82_jpg.jpg

THE BROADWAY AND YMCA...IMAGINE HOW AMAZING HUDSON'S WOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THIS VIEW!

83_jpg.jpg

THE FISHER BUILDING AND OLD MAIN MAKE A GREAT COUPLE IF YOU ASK ME!

85_jpg.jpg

THE UNIVERSITY

93_jpg.jpg

WAIT...HOW DID THAT GET IN THERE? ;)

Edited by Michi

Wow, those are nice. I haven't been to Tony's site in a while. I need to revisit...

But to take this thread back off topic (that's what it's for, you know :P) tonights Pistons game had atrocious officiating. I was about to boycott watching the rest of the series but then I came to my senses. I'll watch game 4 before I come out with my conspiracy theories...

I think it became frustration at the end. Everyone guarding Shaq got countless fouls called on them for mostly holding their ground and keeping their hands up. To top it off, some of Miami's players were hitting shots they should've missed and Shaq suddenly resembled Dan Majerle at the free throw line.

Since you've kept that banner in your sig since last year, though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Although it hurt the Pistons more, the officiating was bad on both sides. I'll just wait 'til game 4 to make judgement. The Pistons have been in much worse situations and proved themselves. Let's see if they really live up to being the reigning champs.

I think im gonna start playing basketball like Shaq. Im gonna demand the ball in the post and then use my off arm to clear everyone out and draw fouls. I could not believe the fouls they were calling when Detroit defenders were hitting the arm that Shaq was using to clear them out. It still blows my mind that the NBA allows the rules to be changed just because Shaq weighs 100 more lbs than the nearest guy. Pistons need to get their act together though. Where was the DEFENSE?