Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two things. My first topic is in the form of a question.

1.) Did anybody go to the Tiger game today? Or maybe even downtown at a sports bar? My, oh, my... Probably the greatest sports related day of my life. Rogers pitching like an animal in front of the deafening roar of the Tiger fans. I was even getting rowdy, and I was sitting in front of a TV, 2000 miles away. My neighbors think i'm nuts.

2.)

Yeah, and OSU fan from Metro Detroit. lol When did you become an OSU fan, Ill? :) I agree, though. MSU football just isn't all that great, and UofM basketball has been in a similar situation, if even improving.

I also lived in Toledo as well, and though i've lived in Detroit for a longer time, most of my family still resides in Toledo, so I took on the OSU blood that was seemingly passed on to me. The interesting paret about Toledo is that its lodged in between Ann Arbor and Columbus, probably split 45 (OSU)-45(UM)-10(MSU, with Lansing a little farther out than AA). Yeah, around the end of November, it gets hectic. Almost every school and workplace in the area celebrates the day before the storm by wearing their teams respective colors.

While I believe UM will win, I have a much stronger animosity towards UM than MSU. I'll cheer them (spartans) on, but that 4th Quarter against Notre Dame didn't help their cause at all.

Edited by illmatic774

Does anyone know what is going into the building in Greektown that is finishing renovations by JC Beal right now? I love the work they've done, and hope the building is put to good use. Based on the amount of glass, I think it's safe to assume it's going to be a two floor food venue. Thats just my guess though.

Does anyone know what is going into the building in Greektown that is finishing renovations by JC Beal right now? I love the work they've done, and hope the building is put to good use. Based on the amount of glass, I think it's safe to assume it's going to be a two floor food venue. Thats just my guess though.

If you are talking about the building next to New Hellas Caf

Try Elmwood Cemetery

Very cool place. I took a Detroit History class and the teacher runs this place, so as part of our class we had a field trip here. He'll probably give you one if you call ahead of time and set one up There are a lot of famous Detroiters buried here, most recently, Coleman A Young.

Here are just a couple of pictures I took when I was there.

154334545_f1d3ea44e5.jpg

154316283_8c42e273ae.jpg

Does anyone happen to know what St. Andrews Hall used to be before it became a concert venue? Was it a theater before?

The concert was freaking awesome there on Friday. :D We didn't get lost on the way or mugged once we were there, so that's convincing enough to go to more concerts there in the future. ;)

I know this is a totally random question, but does anyone know if there are showtimes listed online for the riverfront 4 theaters inside the ren cen?

I keep having the urge to go to a movie, but dont want to walk all the way over there and realize that shows are only on certain nights. Anyone ever gone to a movie down there?

Apparently I got a parking ticket more than a month ago and did not know about it. Typically when you get a ticket, they put it on your windshield. According to the city of Detroit, on 9/14 I got a parking ticket in New Center. The problem is that on 9/14 there was no ticket on my car's windshield! I got a letter in the mail today telling me that I have failed to respond to said ticket, and a $20 late fee has been added onto the $30 ticket that I did not know I had. Why should I pay an additional $20 because I didn't respond, if they never even bothered to give me the damn ticket in the first place?!

I also like how when I call the number on the letter, nobody actually bothers to answer the phone. Apparently that office doesn't work on Fridays or something. How convenient is that?! What a way to start my weekend....

Apparently I got a parking ticket more than a month ago and did not know about it. Typically when you get a ticket, they put it on your windshield. According to the city of Detroit, on 9/14 I got a parking ticket in New Center. The problem is that on 9/14 there was no ticket on my car's windshield! I got a letter in the mail today telling me that I have failed to respond to said ticket, and a $20 late fee has been added onto the $30 ticket that I did not know I had. Why should I pay an additional $20 because I didn't respond, if they never even bothered to give me the damn ticket in the first place?!

I also like how when I call the number on the letter, nobody actually bothers to answer the phone. Apparently that office doesn't work on Fridays or something. How convenient is that?! What a way to start my weekend....

There was an early morning radio call in show one day last week where the callers would call in with stories of bad customer services from 1-800 numbers putting customers on hold for so long and the like. One lady called in and basically exploded when she went off about treatment from the City/County Building. She was proper and legit, but furious. It was great.

as we're on the subject of parking tickets...I just got another one.

Now I'm new to living in Detroit. I was parked on Orleans Sunday night, as were many cars this weekend. I woke up this morning and there were still about 20 cars parked there, but only 4-5 had tickets...me being one of them. I was not parked in an area that had a sign against it, and there was no drive, crosswalk or fire hydrant that would make it a bad area to park.

After talking to a couple people that live here I came to the conclusion that the "No Standing" signs that are all over town somehow mean "No Parking". I dont understand how these parking spots are legal for the weekend, but off limits at other times.

Can anyone explain this??

"No Standing" does mean that you are not allowed to park there. Often times there are no standing signs present for no apparent reason. I have learned the hard way never to park in no standing zones no matter what time it is. The DPD will issue tickets for parking in a no standing zone on the weekends or at night.

I have several pre-made letters typed up which I just change the date and location on each time. I've gotten tickets for being parked across a driveway when there was no driveway anywhere in sight. I've also gotten tickets for parking in a no standing zone which was unmarked. I've successfully fought off several tickets in the city.