Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I'm saying that it's rarely marked off on the street (i.e. with white or yellow paint), not that it doesn't exist. It's just something I've always noticed. For instance, I believe Larned outside of downtown is an example of this. The street parking shares the street with a driving lane, and you can't distinguish between the two unless a car is parked on the street. Perhaps, I'm just noticing a whole lot of illegal parking?

Michi, taken East Michigan Avenue, here in Lansing. There is marked street parking, and sometimes it's not marked, but it never shares a lane with traffic. The parking lane is wide enough not to interrupt street traffic. And, turn lanes are always marked with solid lines. Do you see what I'm saying?

Edited by Lmichigan

No, I'm saying that it's rarely marked off on the street (i.e. with white or yellow paint), not that it doesn't exist. It's just something I've always noticed. For instance, I believe Larned outside of downtown is an example of this. The street parking shares the street with a driving lane, and you can't distinguish between the two unless a car is parked on the street. Perhaps, I'm just noticing a whole lot of illegal parking?

Michi, taken East Michigan Avenue, here in Lansing. There is marked street parking, and sometimes it's not marked, but it never shares a lane with traffic. The parking lane is wide enough not to interrupt street traffic. And, turn lanes are always marked with solid lines. Do you see what I'm saying?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I've always noticed it, but more so in the last few years having driven the city as an adult. I think it's particularly confusing to anyone from out of town. I actually forget every once in awhile about it, and find myself stuck behind a parked car on a busy street having not really been paying attention. I don't know, I just thought that the 'Motor City' should be sophisticated in all things concerning automobiles and traffic technology.

I seem to notice the street parking situation more on the East side. Mack Avenue comes to mind here. It is understood that as long as a lane does not have parked cars in it, you can drive there. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents because of this, though...it is dangerous.

I think that downtown detroit is approaching a point where they will have to get more serious about on-street parking. The current set up on Woodward, Washington Boulevard and Broadway where there are distinguished curb bump outs are fine, but the laissez-faire parking situation present on streets like larned, congress and griswold needs to be addresed. Moreover, the amount of valet parking needs to be limited. I think that the way downtown is currently set up is ok for the current demands, but as downtown grows, a number of traffic issues will need to be strongly considered (example, timing the damn lights).

I don't think it has to do with the state of downtown or should be tied to the state of downtown. It seems that this kind of traffic engineering has always been lacking. There is more sophisticated parking engineering in even less utilized downtowns. I think the parking system needs to be upgraded regardless of the future state of the city/downtown. It should have been the norm when they started painting lines to divide traffic a century so ago. One would have thought the Motor City would have had simple markings for street parking and dedicated turn lanes long ago.

Edited by Lmichigan

I was pleasantly surprised to see a city of Detroit truck plow my street this morning. They made just one pass up each of the sidestreets, but that's all we really needed. I guess after they got blasted the last time for not plowing when we got a big snow, they decided to do something about it this time. :)

I hate to throw off everybodys conversation, but I was looking for a little help. I have an interview next month and it is at 613 Griswold St. Any idea what building that is? I can tell the names of buildings in Detroit, but usually have no idea of the address. From what I could tell from google, it is right next door to the Penobscot Building. Does that sound right?

Well thanks. If the Ford is at 615 and that is right next to the Penobscot, I'm sure I'll be able to find it, I might be from Traverse City but I like to think that I get to Detroit enough to know what is what. Besides, if this interview goes well I should be living there in the next few months.

Yah, I work in the Buhl Building and our address is 535 Griswold. I'm guessing you're looking at the Ford Building as well. There's a few storefronts on the ground level, which would perhaps have their own individual addresses too.

My parents were in town today and I took them down to see the Commerce Building demolition and Book Cadillac progress. They were very impressed again and hope that I'm able to stay in Detroit after graduation so that they can keep coming back to see all the progress. They didn't quite understand the parking garage/condo concept, so it would be good when they come back to see the final product. :)