Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I'm not sure if this was brought up, but I'm surprised this didn't get more play, here, in the media and the development community. As everyone knows, Kilpatrick has finally challenged the Census Bureau Estimates for Detroit which placed it at 871,121 as of the summer of last year.

According to a report done by D.C.-based Social Compact study group, they say the population loss is MUCH less than what the Census has been reporting it to be. As of summer of last year they estimate the population to have actually been 933,043, which would be less than a 20,000 lost since 2000. This is amazing to me, because while I always expected the loss to have been overestimated, I'd never thought it would be by this much. Even if the report is biased, and even if the loss is only half of what they say that'd still be amazing.

The report, in specific, said that undercounts of 20% of more were reported in Hubbard Richard, Corktown, and Near East Riverfront. Other neighborhoods with high undercounts included Middle East Central, Butzel, State Fair, and West Riverfront.

Edited by Lmichigan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those that keep track... it looks like they've updated the googleearth satellite image for a sizable chunk of metro Detroit including downtown. Judging by what shows up and what's changed, the image looks like it was taken late summer of this year!

Check it!

Edited by tracer1138

wow, yeah, it looks really recent. Higher resolution too!

The only thing I don't like, is that they erase the roofs of the buildings when they overlap the street. I use Google Earth mostly to measure buildings, and look at roofs, so that kind of ruins it for me for some of those buildings.

ok , um, guys

i know that sometimes i miss things because i have my head so far up my own ass, but

how did i not hear mention about how much notable Detroit architecture and cityscapes were used in the Transformers movie. Today as i'm watching it....woah.. that's Michigan central Station..... woah that's the penobscot building.....woah that's grand circus park....woah that's Fort and Griswold. That was awsome it had to have been mentioned on here. I do like how they have to use Detroit scenes to make LA appear more urban :D

Downtown L.A. is actually pretty urban. The skyline is just in a weird corner of downtown opposite the historic 1920's structures. L.A. doesn't have the large art deco skyscrapers that Detroit has, but you'd be surprised how many art deco buildings in the 8-15 story range there are in downtown Los Angeles.

I'm just suprised that, it didn't receive more mention. I mean they show MCS in it's full glory, when they show the character running inside, it's the actual building still. I guess I just would have thought someone would have said something.

Yeah it got a lot of press during filming. Hell, I was one of the idiots trying to sign up to be an extra in the film. The Book Caddy and Fort Street play a big role too. Also, like in The Island you can see the Penobscot quite a few times. I hope one of these times Bay will decide to film the whole movie in Detroit.

• 3 weeks later...