Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The city will eventually get around to razing Ford Auditorium. It sounds like the expanded Hart Plaza plan is still a few years off, so I'd expect Ford Auditorium to stick around a bit longer. There was an article about the Hart Plaza plan in the paper about it a few weeks ago, but it offered no new information from the article that was published when the project was first announced years ago.

Ford Auditorium has no practical use whatsoever. Although I was in a class once where a student proposed turned it into a Walmart! I don't think they got a very good grade on that project!! :lol:

Hey there MoTown,

My wife and are are coming into town Friday for the Tigers vs. Anaheim at 7 p.m. We haven't been in the D in about 6 months - Is there any new bars/nightclubs for a couple of 30 year-old yuppies like us? We are getting into town around 3 pm and staying at the RenCen, so we need a new great restaurant as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we do PizzaPapolis every other time when in the Motor City - I haven't heard of Slows, but I will definitely check that out. As far as bars, we usually do the crawl that includes The Baltimore, The Old Sheleleh (sp?), The Detroiter, and another one I can't remember. We need more ideas, people!!!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It doesn't matter how chaotic the downtown street grid appears or how messed up freeway junctions are. Ever notice how traffic just seems to "work" in Detroit? A driver may depart from their lane, but all of traffic shifts accordingly. No one honks the horn, people just do their thing and keep driving.

Alot of the safe cities on that list have predictable traffic control and circulation, four way stops, and speed limits citywide below 30 mph (like Manhattan, except for freeways)

Edited by wolverine

33 days till I move to the D and I don't have a neighborhood picked out yet. Insurance is way to expensive in Detroit, so I'm going to trade the focus in and get a moped. Anyone have advice on the best neighborhood to reside in without a car? I need a bar, grocery store, close to WSU, and access to bus routes in the city. Any feedback is appreciated.

33 days till I move to the D and I don't have a neighborhood picked out yet. Insurance is way to expensive in Detroit, so I'm going to trade the focus in and get a moped. Anyone have advice on the best neighborhood to reside in without a car? I need a bar, grocery store, close to WSU, and access to bus routes in the city. Any feedback is appreciated.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

1. The Detroit Fine Arts Building and Adams theatre was demolished in July 2009 and a parking lot is currently on the site.

2. Also, the Detroit Riverside Hotel beside the Convention center has closed despite a recent renovation.

3. And the Cobo Arena may possibly be demolished to necessitate the expansion of the Cobo Convention Center. I think that the Joe Louis Arena and all of the convention center should be demolished also. I will come up with plans for a completely new convention centre and a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings. They will be separate projects.

I would like to congraduate Mayor Dave Bing for winning re-election as the Mayor of the city of Detroit.

I would also like to congraduate the City of Detroit for picking Bing over .. that.. other guy who dosn't even matter.

The city of Detroit now has steady leadership for the next four years. Hopefully Bing will continue all of the changes he has been making to the city so it will one day rise from the ashes.

• 1 month later...

PBS is airing a documentary featuring Detroit and why it is important to America's recovery on February 8th, 2010 at 10PM. PBS has a trailer and more information on the film here: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/blueprintamerica/reports/beyond-the-motor-city/video-preview/861/

I'm definitely putting this in my calendar to remind me to record and watch it.

http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com/2009/12/motor-city-goes-3d.html

The Motor City goes 3D

A few of us on the SketchUp team either have roots in Detroit or grew up there, so we're especially happy to announce that Detroit, Michigan as been added in 3D to Google Earth. From sports venues like Joe Louis Arena (home of the Red Wings) and Comerica Park(new home of the Tigers), to great watering holes and eateries, like the The Old Shillelagh and the legendary Lafayette Coney Island - home of the world's best 2am coney dog - they are all there in 3D.

Edited by jbr12