Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I have an off topic question....How many police does the city (proper) of Detroit Employ...600 sounds like a massive cut, will that leave all of three police for the entire city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The department has about 4800 budgeted positions. I am not sure how many are uniformed.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from WDIV

fire forced the evacuation of about 50 people from the landmark Hotel Pontchartrain in downtown Detroit Wednesday morning.

A mattress fire was reported in a room on the 15th floor of the hotel, which is located at 2 Washington Blvd., Local 4 learned. Smoke was seen billowing from the side of the building, according to Local 4 reports.

Sections of the hotel were evacuated, the station learned.

Police closed Larned Street, at Washington, while fire crews remained at the scene. The fire has been extinguished.

No injuries were reported, according to the Detroit Fire Department.

Since the fireworks threat didnt work perhaps Kwame and his cronies will be starting fires and committing crimes throughout the city to show the importance of keeping those firefighters and police officers.

On a serious note i hope that knowone was hurt and that the fire didnt damage too much of the building. Arent they renovating that hotel?

They need to do a lot more than that. It isnt the most inviting building in the world and the main street level entrance doesnt look great at all. I think with the location that place could do lots of business if they just made it nicer.

Since the fireworks threat didnt work perhaps Kwame and his cronies will be starting fires and committing crimes throughout the city to show the importance of keeping those firefighters and police officers.

On a serious note i hope that knowone was hurt and that the fire didnt damage too much of the building.  Arent they renovating that hotel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always hear about how the site was designed for two towers and what better place? That seems, IMO, to be common in Detroit. Grand plans, nothing happens and darnit I love my city! :)

Edited by DetroitBazaar

Aid for insured in Detroit, Flint

State wants to help reduce rates

From the Detroit Free Press - June 13, 2005

The State of Michigan is expected to launch a campaign today to help Detroit and Flint residents gain access to lower auto and home insurance rates.

"Unaffordable insurance rates are driving people out of our cities, regardless of whether they have filed claims," Watters said. "When someone has to pay thousands of dollars more just because they live in Detroit or Flint, something is wrong. Purchasing groups will encourage people to be responsible in their driving and home protection, and this will reward them with lower rates."

Read the rest of the article here

All I can say is that it's about time!

Michael Jackson aquitted on all counts? You got to be kidding me! He's as guilty as Robert Blake and OJ, oh, wait, not good examples. We all know he is guilty and maybe they couldn't prove it enough for child molestation charges, but not even a conviction for serving alcohol to minor? Jesus Juice, man, Jesus Juice! Things like this make me lose total faith in the justice system.....

I don't believe he was guilty on all counts, but I do believe that something went down. Maybe the fact that he admitted that he believes it ok to lay with a little boy and that that did happen. Regardless of stupid parent, he's guilty of that, and should serve a punishment. Karma. But supposedly that already happened as there really are no winners in this case.

Finally!  I feel sorry for people who have their cars insured at a Detroit address.  Home Insurance in the city is also ridiculously high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

High rates are a problem. We are looking to move to the Crosswinds development in Brush Park and my agent told me our car insurance would go up 30%! Even though we would still be parking in a garage. Some relief would be welcome and help to encourage us suburban people to move to the city. School vouchers would also be a big improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

mn_body_detroit_hrt,

There have been so many feasibility studies done on the depot that I can't keep them all straight. Two come to mind. One is the idea of using the station as an intermodal freight terminal. The other is using it as a police station. I don't think the studies for the police startion have been completed. I'm not sure how you'd get a hold of any studies that have been done to the station.

ironchapman,

Detroit actually has a profile, it's just not done yet. Truth be told, I haven't worked on it in months. The city profiles project was started by the moderators back in September, but it's so much work to do them that very few of them have been completed so far. The project kind of got put on the back burner...nobody has mentioned them for a while now.