Detroit Off Topic

Allan

I might try some of those in the furture, especially chicago, it's one of my favorite cities.

It is also sad that the western US doesn't get much representation on UP. I just noticed today that our Pacific NW forum is now a subforum of the USA West instead of its own forumlike it used to be.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Allan for that info...sadly the study is exactly what I am looking for....I have tried contacting the city for info, but that was a no go, I have also tried to search out some info on the guy who owns it...all the articles I can find quote a price between $130 and $300 to renovate...WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THESE PRICES WHEN I CANT FIND A STUDY DONE????? HRUMPF. Any one with info on a feasibility study...I would really appreciate it.

Side note: Great Job on the Atlanta site.

The station is owned by Control Terminals, LTD.  The same company owns the Ambassador Bridge.  From my quick google search I cannot find any contact information for the company.  They're the ones you need to contact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't the city just finish their feasibility study? Or was that an engineering study? Well they did something, and found out that the building cannot be torn down because it would cost prohibitive... so sorry city, besides, you don't own it.

IMO, the cost of renovating that place could be in the low 100 millions. I think the high costs come from the fact that a lot of expensive decoration and marble will have to be replaced. Honestly, they can keep that to all the lower floors for all I care. Forget marble, drywall that tower damnit!

The Book-Cadillac (if it ever gets done) is going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $180 million. They aren't really restoring much of the building either - it is almost all new construction. Michigan Central Station is even larger. If you were to restore the main floor and the exterior, and then put something of new construction on floors 2-18, I think you'd be looking at at least $200,000,000. Just putting in new windows is going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They do need a player that can create on his own. But I dont expect anyone they draft to make an imediate impact. Detroits biggest need is a 3 pt threat off the bench and I think they will go after Allan Houston or Michael Finley in the offseason with their Mid Level Exemption. Anyone they draft would recieve either minimal minutes or will play in Europe next season.

If they're only undertaking new construction on the B-C, the price tag is going to be much higher than $180 million. The so-called "envelope" surrounding the interior framework is showing definite signs of shearing or "cracking" (i.e. vertical fault lines and loose bricks). Any structural engineer would recommend shoring these problems up before anything else is done inside. So, to realistically convert these properties into fully-functioning, profitable enterprises, we're talking here about a price tag of $400-500 million dollars in private and public funds. Notwithstanding the historical and architectural significance of these buildings, that's a lot of money folks. Where's it going to come from?

Here's another article about a local business that got broken into and a lot of stuff stolen

http://www.freep.com/news/metro/journal7e_20050707.htm

It's a good article explaing the serious trouble Detroit is in without having a decent police department. Although, the same is happening in other Michigan Cities such as Saginaw, which no longer has a fully operating police department. You get robbed or assaulted, sorry, life sucks, not much can be done about it

It's good though this business will be upgrading to a new security system. My friend works at business that had one of these installed. Basically, if you steal something from the business, they'll steal something from you... your hearing.

He said, with their system, it takes just over a minute before your hearing is permanently destroyed. Perhaps more businesses will invest in such a security system.

Edited by wolverine

It's about time we can talk hockey again!

Lewis will not return as Red Wings' coach

Dave Lewis will not return as the Red Wings' coach, paving the way for former Anaheim coach Mike Babcock to come to Detroit.

Lewis, whose contract expired at the end of June, will not be behind the Red Wings' bench for the first time since 1987.

General manager Ken Holland, who announced the decision Friday at a news conference at Joe Louis Arena, said he broke the news to Lewis a day earlier.

I think they will be fine talent wise. The players agreed to a 24% roll back of salary so that is going to help tremendously. They may need to dump a guy like Darian Hatcher though which i really dont mind. He has a huge salary and didnt really produce last season. If they can resign Datsyuk and Zetterberg this team will be fine for years to come.

Thought I'd share a Detroit bonus! The BSP at Simtropolis is moving forward quickly on some more Detroit buildings. The latest being the Free Press Builiding designed by the member "kefka" His work below:

_fp.jpg

To see his, and other's work in progress visit:

http://www.simtropolis.com/idealbb/view.as...ageNo=53&num=30

The official site of the project is still down.

Other projects in the works include:

Comerica Tower

150 W. Jefferson (Madden Building)

Kales Building

Renaissance Center

Ford Field

Hudsons Department Store

State Theater

Dime Building

Statler Hotel (not started yet)....... allan.

There was also a whole bunch of other buildings of chain stores frequently found in Michigan completed as well as a few monuments, one being the Joe Louis Fist.

Hopefully the website will be done soon to create a central location for all of these projects.