Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I have been missing out on the BSP! I haven't logged into simtropolis in like 3 months.

As for the Statler Hotel...I did start it. I just got really busy with school and never got around to doing any more of it. Part of the Grand Circus facade is completed. Haha.

I was downtown today and noticed that they completely redid the Woodward median from CMP to Jefferson avenue. Now its just grass which looks nice and clean compared to the dirt that was there. Does anyone know if there are plans to replant trees on this boulevard? The grass is a nice look but I think if it was done properly trees would look much better.

Oh and Washington Boulevard is looking awesome. The lighting and trees really make it an attractive stretch of road.

Speaking of the Free Press building, what is its status?  It looked vacant but I thought i heard rumblings awhile back that it was going to be converted into lofts called the Paper Place lofts.  Any news?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it turned out not to be feasible at the current time.

The building is guarded and has electricity though so its in mint condition being maintained.

It's funny...whenever the Free Press does stories about abandoned buildings downtown they never talk about their own building. Apparently there were developers from California(?) interested in the building, but they weren't interested once they learned of the parking issues.

I can remember visiting family in Windsor, Ont. Canada many years ago and going to downtown Detroit one night for a drink. I'm a male and I was with one of my female cousins. We found an outdoors cafe where we ordered a drink and sat outside. While we were enjoying our cocktails we could hear dance music coming from across the street. Since where we were was pretty quiet we decided to go check out the scence across the street. We walked in and it was dead except for 2 guys and the bartender. We ordered drinks and checked out the scence. It didn't take long for us to figure out that we were in a gay bar when one guy kissed another. I was fasinated, but my cousin freaked. So we had to leave, then and NOW!!!!! We then went to the Renaissance Center bar which at that time was closed. So we just sat there awhile as the cleaning crew cleaning up. So there are my Detroit experiences. Not sure why I even bought them up.

Does anyone have information about the old, empty triangular building at the corner of Grand River and Cass (looks like a castle)? Who owns it? I found the architecture and the exterior condition unbelieveable good for a building that appears to me to be about a century old. A buddy of mine who is looking for a small building downtown to turn into retail/residential fell in love with it's features. Just curious what the word is.

Just a random posting...

I was walking along the GM riverfront the day after the all star game and there was still a bunch of tourists around who had likely stayed at the Marriot. Anyway, as I'm walking along, I hear all this splashing, straight ahead of me are shoes and t-shirts just laying on the sidewalk. Yes, people were swimming in the Detroit river. 10 people come climbing out of the river and over the railing, all excited they had gotten out of the heat.

I have no idea how clean the Detroit River is near the downtown, but dang, that's nasty anyway!! Not to mention the current is fairly strong making it hard to get out. Obviously the river is polluted downstream because of the wastewater treatment facilities and factories, but does anyone know the water quality near the downtown?

I still remember falling into the Saginaw river years ago. I got a cut and ended up getting a whole bunch of shots. :blink: The Sagnasty River is one toxic waterway you don't want to deal with.

It must be clean because a friend of mine went to a charity event about a week and a half ago to see a bunch of olympic swimmers. He said they got a bunch of free stuff and they either had to swim a 1k, half mile, or 1 mile. They actually swam in the river. They didn't go straight downstream, there were bouys so it was like they had laps.

It's been nice being able to park on Washington Blvd for free for the past few weeks. The city still hasn't gotten the new meters in yet!

I was just wondering, does anybody know what the city is going to do with all those All Star Game signs and banners. I noticed the city started taking them down, but despite being in Detroit for a good portion of the day (and driving around the whole downtown) I did not see a crew removing them. I thought one of those would look good on my basement wall. The city can't be saving those?