Detroit Off Topic

Allan

Yeah, free parking on Washington is great. The parking there has been free since they started redoing the street months ago. Unfortunately it's about to come to an end. They also finally installed meters on the west side of Farmer, between the people mover columns. That wasn't very cool. The city is trying to force me into paying to park, but it's not going to happen.

Detroit needs meters that you can pay for using credit cards. I never pay cash for much of anything, and I certainly don't have all kinds of spare quarters to feed the meters. It would also save the MPD work, since they wouldn't have to empty the meters so often. After all, a meter only holds about $10 in change. At the very least they could at least make it so that you can also pay with nickels & dimes. In every city I've ever been to you can pay the meters with nickels, dimes or quarters...except Detroit, that is.

I can't imagine why the city would want or need those All Star banners anymore. The city has a giant rummage sale each year at Cobo Hall. That would be your best bet, although it's certainly no guarantee.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of The meters in Chicago (if you can find one) only accept quarters. It has become nearly impossible to find on-street parking in downtown Chicago. Shortly after 9/11 they removed the meters and banned on-street parking adjacent to any large building for security reasons.

Yeah, free parking on Washington is great.  The parking there has been free since they started redoing the street months ago.  Unfortunately it's about to come to an end.  They also finally installed meters on the west side of Farmer, between the people mover columns.  That wasn't very cool.  The city is trying to force me into paying to park, but it's not going to happen. 

Detroit needs meters that you can pay for using credit cards.  I never pay cash for much of anything, and I certainly don't have all kinds of spare quarters to feed the meters.  It would also save the MPD work, since they wouldn't have to empty the meters so often.  After all, a meter only holds about $10 in change.  At the very least they could at least make it so that you can also pay with nickels & dimes.  In every city I've ever been to you can pay the meters with nickels, dimes or quarters...except Detroit, that is.

I can't imagine why the city would want or need those All Star banners anymore.  The city has a giant rummage sale each year at Cobo Hall.  That would be your best bet, although it's certainly no guarantee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea when the sale takes place? I thought about getting my hands on one of those banners as well.

The question is, where can you get them before they attempt to sell them. I was searching for the vehicle and crew that was removing them so I could ask for one. I wasn't thinking about forking over money for something the city was likely going to throw in the trash.

It's funny that you mention that, because Detroit was once known as the "Paris of the Midwest." People often say that Detroit's street plan was modeled after Paris'; however, Detroit's street plan was developed decades before Paris began rebuilding the city in its current plan. Detroit's street grid was actually modeled after L'Enfant's plan for Washington, D.C. Detroiters abandoned the plan after just a few years, so only downtown resembles anything like Washington.

Woodward's 1806 Plan

det2.jpg

Downtown as it was constructed

det1.jpg

The plan did make for some interestingly shaped buildings. There are a couple that are triangular in shape. The plan also made for some interesting lines of sight. I really like the little enclaves that the plan created - Harmonie Park & Capitol Park in particular. As inefficient as it is, I wish they had fully carried out the plan.

It can be very hard to give directions to people visiting the city, since the streets go every which way. Then you've got streets like Lafayette & Fort that exist in two parts. There's East Fort, but that doesn't connect with West Fort. And all the road construction doesn't help any....

I know, I get asked for direction a lot and it's hard to describe places to people. I've been asked by several people were the Gem Theatre was. At that time, the people were on the corner of Washington and some other side street. I had a hard time describing how Witherell street went because they wanted their directions in N/S/E/W Uhm, it's a curve!

A proposed development to remove from our list

central_render.jpg

The 15 story tower proposed by Detroit's Central United Methodist Church by Comerica Park has decided not to build the tower at this time. I received this info from a reliable source who works within that church and knew a lot about the devleopments going on downtown. He said his community felt it wasn't the right time to build a residential tower while other new buildings downtown are trying to fill up. Such buildings included Kales, several buildings on Woodward, and now the Broderick Tower. The thought of a tower won't be gone for good. But this specific proposal will be scrapped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Future urban development? It's already experiencing and urban redevelopment with the exception of the original project, many who would argue it is suburban.

Both of these areas, historically, were very large farms, like much of Detroit's original "ribbon" farms that extended linearly away from the river. Both were later mansion districts and stayed that way until they hit decline, though Cass Park was more of a commercial area.