Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

I pay $750 on Federal Hill for a 2-bed, 10 minute walk to Kennedy Plaza. That's pretty much the low end for my area though.

If you're planning to be here for a while Harris (years) then you might find something that you can live with for a while, then look for a place that you really like once you get settled and know the area and the places that you personally like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks much for the input....this is helpful to get a sense of prices.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P I know we have been shown a rendering of the"One Ten Westminster" 32 story tower... which also showed a good bit of downtown. Is it possible tha someone can use a similar photo, pull back a little to show more of the city, and add in new projects such as parcel 2, Gtech, the Westin addition, I think you get the idea..Hilton, Powerblock..etc. BTW this is my first posting (I've been reading for quite a while) I am from cranston (5 minutes south of Prov) and I have great pride for Providence and hope all of these projects do get completed. I would love in about 4 years, after all the current projects are completed for Providence to be recognized on National news or something wink.gif And I also have a question about ex-mayor cianci's "New Cities" idea.. I just wanna know if that is still in talks...for any generation?? smile.gif grin.png sorry if I have any typos..my hands are frozen. http://www.pbn.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/...stration/1d.jpg

that is the image-- and there is a bigger one that shows much more of providence but i cant find the link...but i mean can we have an even wider spectrum of all of the new projects?

~Mike :D

Thanks much for the input....this is helpful to get a sense of prices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The prices in Fox Point may be similar to Federal Hill for rentals. It's a not too far walk from the Brown campus, and there is the green line 'trolley' which will take you from Fox Point to Brown. However it is on the other side of Brown from Downtown, so you wouldn't be right on the edge of downtown. It's a nice urban neighbourhood, but it isn't a really busy area, not quite that downtown vibe.

But the main commercial street, Wickenden Street, does have a nice urban feel.

Though like I said, Providence is as small as a button, even in Fox Point you're only maybe an 8 minute 'trolley' ride from Downtown, and it's not a terrible far walk either (unless it's 12 degrees and snowing).

What's up Providence? Happy Friday to the working folk... I have been studying the city and taking advice from the big dogs on here: Cotuit, Garris, etc. I figured I would bounce another question off ya- Does anyone know where Trinity sq. is? If so, is it a nice area or part of thug land? :ph34r:

What's up Providence? Happy Friday to the working folk... I have been studying the city and taking advice from the big dogs on here: Cotuit, Garris, etc.  I figured I would bounce another question off ya- Does anyone know where Trinity sq. is? If so, is it a nice area or part of thug land?  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends what your definition of "thug land" is...

Trinity Square is the split of Elmwood Avenue off of Broad Street, essentially the very northern tip of Elmwood. Mildly rough area, a little rougher if you head south. Alot of activity though. A couple of interesting developments (particularly the Pearl Street lofts) are happening there though, and it should be quite a bit nicer in the next couple of years.

A couple of interesting developments (particularly the Pearl Street lofts) are happening there though, and it should be quite a bit nicer in the next couple of years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. It has a lot of potential. If that's the only area that you could afford, I'd say it isn't a bad place to be. It's very highly trafficed, both vehicular and pedestrian, so that gives it a somewhat more secure feel than some other nearby areas. I agree with eltron, though... The farther South you go, the rougher things get, and the farther you get off the main drag you go, the less safe I'd feel.

- Garris

Can't get there from here.

-REM

Hi. I recently joined the forum and posted some questions about moving to Providence. Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses.

I have found an apartment that sounds like a good deal and seems to be in a great location, but . . . I can't fly out to look for an apartment until late April. It will be gone by then!

Does anyone know what Preston street is like?

Preston is about halfway between Wickendon and Angell streets and the building is between Tabor and Governor streets.

Thanks,

Emily :wub:

I can't find Tabor Street, it might be a little alley that doesn't show up on maps. But Preston and Governor looks good to me.

Garris is over that side of town more than me, he should be able to give you a better feel.

It's east of Hope Street, and I never have any need to be east of Hope. But that area of Hope Street is very nice. Of course a lot of times a block can make a world of difference around here, good or bad. It's scary to take an apartment without seeing it. But unless Garris or someone else gives a horrible report, I say do it.

If you wouldn't mind letting us know number of beds and price, we can let you know if you're getting a good deal.

If you wouldn't mind letting us know number of beds and price, we can let you know if you're getting a good deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem. It's a three bedroom (with one bedroom that is better as an office) that I would be sharing with one other person. Rent is $1250 with one parking spot. High ceilings (of course), hard wood floors (of course, of course) and a porch/balcony. Big kitchen. 1 full bath.

New gas heating system.

Thoughts?

I think I should have put Gano down instead of Tabor. It's actually almost on the corner of Governor and Preston.

No problem.  It's a three bedroom (with one bedroom that is better as an office) that I would be sharing with one other person.  Rent is $1250 with one parking spot.  High ceilings (of course), hard wood floors (of course, of course) and a porch/balcony.  Big kitchen.  1 full bath.

New gas heating system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Screw you, I'm on my way over there now! :rofl:

Does anyone know if ~$200 a month (in the cold winter months) is outrageous for heating costs for an apartment on the east side?

It seems expensive to me, but I live in a high-rise in Chicago where we use radiator heat that's cost is included in my assessment.

Thx!

Does anyone know if ~$200 a month (in the cold winter months) is outrageous for heating costs for an apartment on the east side?

It seems expensive to me, but I live in a high-rise in Chicago where we use radiator heat that's cost is included in my assessment.

Thx!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on insulation, size of the apartment, what floor its on, etc, $200/month isnt that outrageous. 1st floor apartments are usually the modt expensive. I think 2nd floor is usually the sweet spot as you have other people paying for heat above and below you. We live on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our house and rent out the first. I know our tenant pays more per month on the 1st than we do on the 2nd. We pay even less on the 3rd, but we also keep the heat up there down pretty low because its just bedrooms. I also highly reccomend a programmable thermostat. they are only ~ $25 and it will certainly save you money. i would volunteer to pay for one if the apartment doesnt already have one. they only take 10 mins to install (if that)

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kind of depends on what your heating with too. My place is electric, and we had a $300 electric bill last January. Of course that was the month our landlord decided to re-roof the house and replace our skylights, she paid the bulk of the bill.

Actually, oil isn't that much better.

Oh, and Cotuit, I hope you really were joking! :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scared ya! :whistling:

Thx!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its hard to tell...that might actually be a little conservative depending on the size of the apartment, age and condition of windows, whether its insulated or not, the age and efficiency of the heating system. but its probably a pretty good average. good be higher, could be lower.

on another note, I think there are going to be many many apartments on the east side vacant in the coming months. I have heard from many sources that the vacancy rate on the east side is going to skyrocket over the next year as nearly 1500 new "luxury" apartments come on line in other parts of the city this year. I would bet that if you waited, you'll find a really great place and not have to worry about getting a place you haven't seen. that said, its always nice to get someplace settled and outta the way...either way, good luck in your search!

Heat issue:

I have gas burning baseboard heat on the first floor of a house from 1896... horse hair plaster, don't make 'em like they used to, and new double hung / double pane replacement windows. My highest bill this year has been 150. That said, my upstairs tenant who has a less efficient steam boiler and radiator heat, pays about 200 all year round on a payment plan. She also cooks a lot more than I do (gas stove) but she has the same amount of insulation and windows as I do. (about 1200 sq feet)

East Side vacancy:

I have been wondering about this myself, and anecdotally I have found that a lot of these luxury units are filling with people from outside the city... there isn't a lot of movement from the East Side into them. Of course, there is some, but for the most part, the ES is about families, and kids need yards and neighborhoods, and that is not something being offered by the condo developments. Instead, empty nesters with urban style and young professionals from the ring cities of Boston find Providence attractive because of the city amenities and its proximity to highways, shopping, and other cities.

I think with Brown and RISD always needing ES housing and the different types of people looking for houses vs. condos, the East Side might have a good market correction (which it sorely needs) but I don't think it will be largely vacant for long.

We might even see the market remain steady because people who live in condos for a few years might start looking to the East Side (or West Side) when they think they want a house.

Edited by ArtInRuins

Just to add a high quote on heating costs, for the past few months my heating has ranged from $240 to $320/month. My windows are just as old as my condo from 1909 and that has a lot to do with it but having no insulation either can't be helping me much. Keep in mind that I'm heating about 1400 square feet as well- doesn't make me feel much better but as oil prices keep going up you can bet I'll be getting new windows soon

Just to add a high quote on heating costs, for the past few months my heating has ranged from $240 to $320/month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you trying to make me cry?:cry:

Thanks - better to be shocked now than unable to pay the heat bill next winter.

^_^

no emily,

I'm not trying to make you cry... although if I keep having to pay these super high oil bills you can be sure that I'll be the one who's doing the crying. Hopefully you can get a chance to see your rental choices before you commit- if you do, be sure to check on the windows and not just the view

Edited by kinematix