Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

Frankie811- how do I get to the message? Thanks so much for your help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3 room cottage in rural Chepachet, RI. 1 car off street parking, screened porch and sun deck. Recently renovated. $550/mo 401-568-4619 Chris Brassard

Edited by Frankie811

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie811- how do I get to the message? Thanks so much for your help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Soory, new members can't receive Personal Messages until they reach 10 posts. We've had problem people sign up in the past and abuse the Personal Message system. :(

I see- well, I think the cottage was rented- it sounded perfect. :rolleyes:

However, the guy has flaked on the renter once before (they're giving him another chance) so at least I am waiting in the wings. They're sending me pictures anyway- I am interested to see it. The fact that it is antique yet restored with a small main street nearby sounds really nice....oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Yikes, Providence to Waltham is quite a haul, I used to work with someone who did Providence to Watertown though. And there's no good public transit alternative available. I think though, your biggest traffic concerns will be on Route 128, I don't think the traffic heading north out of Providence is too bad until you approach Route 128, then Route 128 can often times be a parking lot itself.

Someone correct me if I'm way off base on this.

Yikes, Providence to Waltham is quite a haul, I used to work with someone who did Providence to Watertown though. And there's no good public transit alternative available. I think though, your biggest traffic concerns will be on Route 128, I don't think the traffic heading north out of Providence is too bad until you approach Route 128, then Route 128 can often times be a parking lot itself.

Someone correct me if I'm way off base on this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are hangups @ 295, 495 and then the split is always bad.. Then you have to brave 128, which as Cotuit says is bad.. Actually, maybe the best bet is to park @ 128 station, and train home.. Leave your car @ work..

Actually, maybe the best bet is to park @ 128 station, and train home.. Leave your car @ work..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That may not be as crazy as it sounds, there may be a vanpool from Route 128 Station to Waltham, depends where you work of course.

CtownMikey-- Thank you so much for the response! What's your comments about the Woodridge/Meshanticut area? Is it a very safe and quiet place? Thanks in advance!

David

I'm soo sorry.. I never came back to this thread and did not see your question :(

I love cranston and the school system. As far as I know.. all levels of Cranston schools have been improving in the past 4 or 5 years, and I have been with the cranston school system since day one.

As far as neighborhoods go...Egdewood is a beautiful but pricey area. I live in the Stadium area and wouldn't trade my childhood for any other.

No matter where you go in Rhode island, the prices may seem a little bit ridiculous. In the past 4 years, house prices have gone up 95% in the state (Newsweek magazine)

Overall, I can't compare the elementary level schools to other cities, but for high schools. Cranston East won the state title in 3 different sports... 2 years in a row. Men's Basketball, hockey, and girl's basketball. The choir and band are growing into regional and nationally known groups. When the choir goes to europe or canada, they always bring home at least one 1st place award. When I went with the band to Virginia 02' and Florida 04', we swept every single award both times, as well as best overall band. 

The community is great too! The mayor and school committee tried cutting all extra-curricular funding (sports, music, arts) in all school levels.

WELL WELL.. we didn't stand for it. The two rival high schools got together and had a walk out during school and went to city hall to protest. We also had a silent walk in at the town meeting.. wearing our band/football/cheerleading uniforms. And we won..

so the community is pretty tight.. and the city gov't has gotten its act together in the past few years and is making tremendous strides financially. :) (about 4 years ago, cranston had the 2nd lowest bond rating in the country)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That may not be as crazy as it sounds, there may be a vanpool from Route 128 Station to Waltham, depends where you work of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We once wrapped our heads around the possibility of having to burn our own garbage and haul our own water so traffic and logistics scare me not a whit!

:blink:

Meg

I usually have trouble on I-95??  Of course there is Route 128, but 95 seems to get to me, and providence drivers dont mess around lol, for the simplest thing as switching lanes its a struggle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where do you work, and when do you go in and out?

I'm just trying to pencil in ideas for how far up towards Boston might be feasible as far as work goes, from Providence (assuming I commute by car -- the ideal would be to go by train, but that depends on getting a job near South Station!).

Urb

(assuming I commute by car -- the ideal would be to go by train, but that depends on getting a job near South Station!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Providence train also stops at Back Bay, so that increases the geographic area for you.

Where do you work, and when do you go in and out?

I'm just trying to pencil in ideas for how far up towards Boston might be feasible as far as work goes, from Providence (assuming I commute by car -- the ideal would be to go by train, but that depends on getting a job near South Station!).

Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont work there, but I go thru there a lot to get to a few peoples houses.

I work near Chinatown in Boston and live in Providence. I take the train out of South Attleboro, both because I live in the North End of Providence, and because it is much cheaper to park there then in Providence. The express train takes 48 minutes to get to Back Bay station, and then I take the Orange line to the Chinatown stop. Total commute from my door to my office is about 1:15. The train is very low stress, so I don't find the commute bad at all. I've driven a couple times and simply would not put up with that insanity every day.

Also, the exit you live off of in Providence will have a big effect on your commute time. I get off at exit 25 (Smithfield Ave.), and the Providence evening traffic jam can easily back up to my stop. If I had to go a couple more stops south I would spend an extra 10-15 minutes in my car every day.

I work near Chinatown in Boston and live in Providence. I take the train out of South Attleboro, both because I live in the North End of Providence, and because it is much cheaper to park there then in Providence. The express train takes 48 minutes to get to Back Bay station, and then I take the Orange line to the Chinatown stop. Total commute from my door to my office is about 1:15. The train is very low stress, so I don't find the commute bad at all. I've driven a couple times and simply would not put up with that insanity every day.

Also, the exit you live off of in Providence will have a big effect on your commute time. I get off at exit 25 (Smithfield Ave.), and the Providence evening traffic jam can easily back up to my stop. If I had to go a couple more stops south I would spend an extra 10-15 minutes in my car every day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I ask you a personal question? What was the main reason why you moved here? Price? Family? Location? Was it worth it? Are you a native Bostonian?

When I lived in New York my commute was round about an hour (the NYC subway has some notorius delay issues, so at times it could be much much much longer). The commute time seemed to flash by.

When I moved to Providence I worked for a company based in Boston and would head up there occassionally. Taking the commuter rail is actually quite nice. It will get better when we get Attleboro's schedule all the way down here.

When I lived in New York my commute was round about an hour (the NYC subway has some notorius delay issues, so at times it could be much much much longer). The commute time seemed to flash by.

When I moved to Providence I worked for a company based in Boston and would head up there occassionally. Taking the commuter rail is actually quite nice. It will get better when we get Attleboro's schedule all the way down here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was at a conference in Boston all last week, and took the commuter rail. I'd hate to do it every day (probably spoiled by my 3 minute commute now!), but it is a very pleasant way of getting to Boston, except for the cattle car situation at Back Bay when you get there. But the ride itself is fairly quick and comfortable.

And I second, once we get a full schedule all the way to providence, it will be quite a bit better.

The thing I miss about my New York commute is that it was my reading time. I never make time for reading anymore.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I like about public transportation, your commuting time becomes some sort of other leisure time (listen to headphones, read, etc.) I hardly even consider my 35 minute bus ride to Providence everyday as a commute anymore, since I can now use the time to read, study, or talk to people that I could never talk to if I had driven in my car alone. I've already gone through 4 books that I normally would have never had time to read before.

Can I ask you a personal question? What was the main reason why you moved here? Price? Family? Location? Was it worth it? Are you a native Bostonian?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I moved down here for a varity of reasons. I got married and was looking to buy a house with my wife. We both lived in Boston for years, and loved it, but the market had already exploded. We decided to look at housing as far out as about a 1 hour commute (non rush hour), that was on a train line. We found that we could get a much better house for the money in Providence than say Worcester or New Hampshire or Lowell or Plymouth. And just as importantly, we wanted to live in a city that had some of the same things Boston offered as far as night life, the arts, and history goes. Providence has that, Worcester certainly does not, nor for that matter does New Hampshire, Lowell, etc.

So yes, it has been worth it overall. Providence is very small compared to Boston, and we did have to get over the "where are all the crowds" feeling and just enjoy the easy parking and lack of a wait to get a table :) Small things do annoy me, like why do they not clean or pave the roads? Why are there weeds growing as high as an elephants eye on all the bridges and side streets and exits. Taxes are high. Special interest groups control the government. But even with all that, we are very glad we moved here.

Small things do annoy me, like why do they not clean or pave the roads? Why are there weeds growing as high as an elephants eye on all the bridges and side streets and exits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That drives me nuts as well... Why can't Providence do these things that other towns manage to do so easily?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool... that and the fact that the train also stops at Back Bay. In a previous life ('86-87), I worked at the Pru. The commute time you describe is roughly comparable with what I've had, at times. Might work! :thumbsup:

Urb

Cool... that and the fact that the train also stops at Back Bay.  In a previous life ('86-87), I worked at the Pru.  The commute time you describe is roughly comparable with what I've had, at times.  Might work!  :thumbsup:

Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trip home is even faster - I take the 5pm train out of south station and am in my house at about 6. Anyway, good luck in whatever you do... Jenkins

Hello. I am still looking for a place in/around Providence and wondered if anyone could tell me how the area around Pidge Ave at East Ave is? Any thoughts/opinions are welcome! Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live not too far from there. It's a nice area. You have good access to parks, stores, as well as a bus line. I can't think of anything negative except that the Pawtucket police often have a speed trap around there so drive nice and slow.