Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

Well, the Benefit Street area is gorgeous and is, along with Beacon Hill (Boston), Gramercy Park (NYC), and Rittenhouse Sq (Philly), one of America's most beautiful and dramatic "downtown" neighborhoods in my opinion.  But rent wise or condo wise, you're going to pay top dollar and it's not a fully realized "neighborhood."  There's no real walkable shopping or leisure opportunities.  Your "neighborhood" there is really Downcity, and that's still, of course, a work in progress.  On the East Side, Wayland Sq and "Hope Village" are the only really fully realized neighborhoods.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's true that Benefit street doesnt really have a full service neighborhood associated with it, but the great thing about Providence is that almost everything is accessible by foot. On one end of Benefit, you have University Heights which has some of the retail staples (no pun intended), and on the other end you have Wickenden St. Thayer is close to the east, and downtown close to the west.

And as far as the "only really fully realized neighborhoods" on the East side, I would have to include Wickenden/Fox Point, which is where I live. I have a ton of great restaurants within a 3 minute walk, and it definitely feels like a neighborhood. Plus I can walk downtown easily (walked to RiRa last weekend in about 10-15 min).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that Benefit street doesnt really have a full service neighborhood associated with it, but the great thing about Providence is that almost everything is accessible by foot. On one end of Benefit, you have University Heights which has some of the retail staples (no pun intended), and on the other end you have Wickenden St. Thayer is close to the east, and downtown close to the west.

And as far as the "only really fully realized neighborhoods" on the East side, I would have to include Wickenden/Fox Point, which is where I live. I have a ton of great restaurants within a 3 minute walk, and it definitely feels like a neighborhood. Plus I can walk downtown easily (walked to RiRa last weekend in about 10-15 min).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, I guess you could include Fox Point... I considered the lack of some services like banks, cleaners, a market, pharmacy, etc to be limiting factors to calling it "full service." It's a strange neighborhood... I've never been sure how to classify it for folks... I've always considered it (rightly or wrongly) more of a restaurant and arts destination, like a much smaller Federal Hill, than a pure "residential" neighborhood.

- Garris

I think I need another visit or some more time before I can actually get the feel of the city. Otherwise, I may end up living in east greenwich or warwick :(

I heard east greenwich is safe, what about warwick?

However, I'm very sure that I'll discover a lot more after I move there. I've seen the pictures posted in the pics section, and they are beautiful.

Still hunting and inputs are welcome

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hum, interesting impressions, and accurate. Have you considered living in the Newport area, looking at it from the 180 degree opposite, or is that farther away for you?

- Garris

True, I guess you could include Fox Point...  I considered the lack of some services like banks, cleaners, a market, pharmacy, etc to be limiting factors to calling it "full service."  It's a strange neighborhood...  I've never been sure how to classify it for folks...  I've always considered it (rightly or wrongly) more of a restaurant and arts destination, like a much smaller Federal Hill, than a pure "residential" neighborhood.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Fox Point defintiely lacks some of those servies. But I live on the corner of Brook & Wickenden, and there's a Portuguese market across the street, the little shopping strip a few blocks up on Brook (cleaners, laundry, mini-mart etc), liquor store & video store on my block.... but it is still predominantly restaurant and arts-oriented/dominated. Luckily I'm so close to Thayer, Wayland Square, for the stuff that's not right in my area.

I don't know your price range, but there are condos now above Lupo's (theres a thread about it on this site under PVD Projects and Construction) for as low as 129,000, and they're right downtown on Washington St.! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you mind give me the link? I tried browsing th construction threads and don't know which one im supposed to look into.

Also those EG condos I mentioned.  Main St. (Hill and Harbour District) in EG is pretty cool in the sense that it's not like the other little old towns in RI--it has good restaurants, decent nightlife depending on your age, some practical retail, offices, etc. as opposed to places like Wickford that shut down at 5pm and have nothing more than overpriced tourist shops and expensive "cafe's."  Plus, EG will most likely in the future get a commuter rail station so living without a car could become marginally feasible there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm actually looking into them. If I can't find some place to rent in providence (or buy?), I probably going to buy one of those condo and rent out the extra room. EG is close to North Kingston and if I do this, it's makes sense from distance point of view. Tho I really dont mind driving from providence everyday if the place is worth it.

The only major thing lacking in EG, and most of south county outside of the Quonset area of North Kingstown, is diversity, both ethnically and racially.  It's pretty much a "white-bread" area and you might find some people there to be ignorant and narrow-minded when it comes to certian things.  You should definitely check it out though given its proximity to North Kingstown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will actually work in quonset area of NK, sigh...

Hum, interesting impressions, and accurate. Have you considered living in the Newport area, looking at it from the 180 degree opposite, or is that farther away for you?

Funny that you ask, because I was initially thinking about Newport before Providence (Probably because I spent quite sometime around that area last year, visiting); does anyone know if one lives in Newport and work in NK, would one needs to pay $2 each way crossing the bridge? because that's $4 everyday at the minimum and adds up everytime one try to go to the other side (providence et al)?

Is Wickenden/Foxpoint also safe neighborhood?

Anyone living in downcity right now and have input? :wub: I'm still interested with the idea of living in downcity tho I felt like it's cramped with construction at the moment.

This is too stressful, moving shouldn't be this hard. Or should it?

I don't mind going there again if I can actually find something. But the idea of spending more $$ just for ticket+hotel+car and wandering around myself is not very tempting. I can't just fly to PVD everytime I want to check some craigslist listing. Ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess if there's one for rent on Benefit and close to thayer, this should be the closest to what I like/prefer

How close/far the highway entrance from this area? how's the traffic in/out during rush hour?

I guess if there's one for rent on Benefit and close to thayer, this should be the closest to what I like/prefer

How close/far the highway entrance from this area? how's the traffic in/out during rush hour?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The highway entrance onto 195 West is literally right at the Southern extent of Benefit Street where it intersects Wickenden... So, about 1-2 minutes, tops...

- Garris

Would you mind give me the link? I tried browsing th construction threads and don't know which one im supposed to look into.

I will actually work in quonset area of NK, sigh...

Funny that you ask, because I was initially thinking about Newport before Providence (Probably because I spent quite sometime around that area last year, visiting); does anyone know if one lives in Newport and work in NK, would one needs to pay $2 each way crossing the bridge? because that's $4 everyday at the minimum and adds up everytime one try to go to the other side (providence et al)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13892 Sorry, they're called Lofts at the Strand, not Lupo's, and it sounds like they might be almost all sold out....

And I meant Quonset is actually one of the only diverse areas of South County...unless you were sighing because you don't like diversity?

You can buy Newport bridge tokens (a ten pack I beleive) and that saves you a little money but not much.

This is what I would do:

If I wanted something urban and didn't care about driving at all, I would definitely live either in a cheap condo downtown or an apartment on Federal Hill near the downcity end (close to 95 south service road).

If I wanted a somewhat urban feel without a long commute (not that Providence to Quonset is bad anyway) I would buy up a condo in downtown East Greenwich or rent for the time being until I could buy something.

If I just wanted to live really close to work and didn't mind suburban neighborhoods, I would just live in one of North Kingstown's neighborhoods on a 15,000 sq. foot lot but pay way too much money for what its worth.

Or, there's always the lower/moderate income neighborhoods of the Quonset area (northern North Kingstown)--right across from Quonset there are cheap apartments, there are rows of duplexes down Yorktown Road off of Route 1 and smaller starter homes on small lots in and around the School Street area.

Hope this helps, but then, this is just me.

Good suggestions.

Also you might consider some of the nice South County villages if you want some density as well as amenities. (I have no idea about rents) such as Wickford, and Wakefield (not the ugly strip mall area but near the older downtown area to the west), Kingston (home of URI), Peace Dale (in South Kingston).

Parts of Westerly are very nice too and Westerly has a really pretty downtown.

Newport is another option but the toll to use the bridge might realy add up. This is defintely the most urban option outside of the Providence area. And yes, there's a lot more to Newport than the mansions or touristy knickknack stores. I particularly like Broadway, which is the equivalent to the Armory District in Prov., an up-and-coming and still diverse neighborhood with funky charm. There's also the Point and the Hill, but expect to pay more $.

In nearby Kent County there's of course East Greenwich and in West Warwick, which has been pretty depressed, there are some exciting new housing developments that are coming on line such as the Royal Mill.

On the other hand, if you like rural, there are lots of lovely areas in South County that are not of the standard cookie cutter subdivision variety.

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13892' target='_blank'>http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13892</a> Sorry, they're called Lofts at the Strand, not Lupo's, and it sounds like they might be almost all sold out....

And I meant Quonset is actually one of the only diverse areas of South County...unless you were sighing because you don't like diversity?

You can buy Newport bridge tokens (a ten pack I beleive) and that saves you a little money but not much. 

This is what I would do:

If I wanted something urban and didn't care about driving at all, I would definitely live either in a cheap condo downtown or an apartment on Federal Hill near the downcity end (close to 95 south service road).

If I wanted a somewhat urban feel without a long commute (not that Providence to Quonset is bad anyway) I would buy up a condo in downtown East Greenwich or rent for the time being until I could buy something. 

If I just wanted to live really close to work and didn't mind suburban neighborhoods, I would just live in one of North Kingstown's neighborhoods on a 15,000 sq. foot lot but pay way too much money for what its worth. 

Or, there's always the lower/moderate income neighborhoods of the Quonset area (northern North Kingstown)--right across from Quonset there are cheap apartments, there are rows of duplexes down Yorktown Road off of Route 1 and smaller starter homes on small lots in and around the School Street area. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good suggestions.

Also you might consider some of the nice South County villages if you want some density as well as amenities. (I have no idea about rents) such as Wickford, and Wakefield (not the ugly strip mall area but near the older downtown area to the west), Kingston (home of URI), Peace Dale (in South Kingston).

Parts of Westerly are very nice too and Westerly has a really pretty downtown.

Newport is another option but the toll to use the bridge might realy add up. This is defintely the most urban option outside of the Providence area. And yes, there's a lot more to Newport than the mansions or touristy knickknack stores. I particularly like Broadway, which is the equivalent to the Armory District in Prov., an up-and-coming and still diverse neighborhood with funky charm. There's also the Point and the Hill, but expect to pay more $.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah, I forgot about Westerly...kind of a long drive (you might as well live in Providence), but it does have a nice vibrant downtown and really nice beaches right nearby.

Wakefield isn't too bad, a little lacking in the services/retail outside of the godawful "strip" where the old mall (or should I say, converted mall) is.

Wickford....touristy...stupid....expensive...yuppies....snobs....old people...closes down at 5.....none of the retail is practical....did I mention stupid?

Newport along Broadway is very cool. Close to Thames Street and the water, yet a world away from the touristy Newport that everyone knows...very diverse both economically, socially and racially, and a lot more to do than Wickford, Wakefield, and maybe even East Greenwich.

Edited by Recchia

Is Wickenden/Foxpoint also safe neighborhood?

Anyone living in downcity right now and have input?  :wub: I'm still interested with the idea of living in downcity tho I felt like it's cramped with construction at the moment.

Thanks for all the help so far  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wickenden/Fox Point is extremely safe, and extremely convenient for highway access. There are a lot of houses with FOR RENT signs on them right now, the best thing to do is just walk around the neighborhood and take down phone numbers. Buying here would be really expensive, unless you want to buy a 3-family and have some rental income. The rent isn't too bad, and once you realize how convenient the location is, whatever you're paying will be worth it. Like everyone has said, it's a lot easier finding a 2 bedroom to rent, at least cost-wise. Did anyone mention the listings in Coffee Exchange on Wickenden?

I wouldn't say that Downcity feels cramped with construction, maybe that will change once 110 Westminster breaks ground. Plus once the commute is over, you'd probably walk to most places. I imagine that most places in Downcity don't include parking though, so that could be an extra expense.

In my opinion, if you don't mind commuting, I would stick to the city - more to do, more people to meet, etc. Good luck......

I have just typed a whole posting and lost it :'(

Oh well, lemme try again

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13892' target='_blank'>http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13892</a> Sorry, they're called Lofts at the Strand, not Lupo's, and it sounds like they might be almost all sold out....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, it was a great info. Too bad that most good ones are spoken for :'(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I misunderstood your posting. diversity is good :)

This is what I would do:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, that was a really great advise. I will probably look into Newport again if everythings falls apart. I'm very much into downtown again thanks to the postings from you guys yesterday and this morning (what a pushover :P )

Wickenden/Fox Point is extremely safe, and extremely convenient for highway access. There are a lot of houses with FOR RENT signs on them right now, the best thing to do is just walk around the neighborhood and take down phone numbers. Buying here would be really expensive, unless you want to buy a 3-family and have some rental income. The rent isn't too bad, and once you realize how convenient the location is, whatever you're paying will be worth it. Like everyone has said, it's a lot easier finding a 2 bedroom to rent, at least cost-wise. Did anyone mention the listings in Coffee Exchange on Wickenden?

I wouldn't say that Downcity feels cramped with construction, maybe that will change once 110 Westminster breaks ground. Plus once the commute is over, you'd probably walk to most places. I imagine that most places in Downcity don't include parking though, so that could be an extra expense.

In my opinion, if you don't mind commuting, I would stick to the city - more to do, more people to meet, etc. Good luck......

Yes, I think I should stick with the city. I don't mind paying extra for parking in downcity, but for foxpoint/wayland/etc I expect that to be included in the rent; I think this is reasonable expectation.

I really think I need to fly there again to do more in person hunting.

Does anyone has good tips to do this economically? I can't spend hundreds of dollars in hotel everynight + rental car + airfare everytime I want to check out another place/listing. I don't mind spending $$ for rent/downpayment but for this... probably not. Anyone knows economic temporary rental for weekends? alternative car rental?

Thank you for all the helps and info. You guys are awesome :)

Renting a car in Providence is cheaper than renting at the Airport. You can cab or bus from the airport to the city to pick up your car. Just be aware that some of the agents in the city are not open on Sundays. I usually rent from Avis which is right next to the Biltmore hotel.

The hotels in the city are pretty expensive, I think the Raddison (though not the best hotel) is probably the cheapest in Providence.

Also look into Days Inns and the like in Swansea and Seekonk and other surrounding areas. There's a Comfort Inn in Pawtucket which is probably a pretty good deal. Having a rental car makes these places feasible, places like Swansea are only about 15 minutes from Downcity.

Also look into Days Inns and the like in Swansea and Seekonk and other surrounding areas. There's a Comfort Inn in Pawtucket which is probably a pretty good deal. Having a rental car makes these places feasible, places like Swansea are only about 15 minutes from Downcity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was going to recommend this as well. In general, the Pawtucket and Seekonk hotels are much cheaper than the Providence ones, although the Biltmore will, for whatever reason, occasionally have fantastic deals.

Also, try to make your visit as busy as possible. Open houses are usually on weekends, and you might want to search RILiving for places to buy ahead of time and schedule times to see places before you arrive. The other thing is that if you want to buy and are just not finding place you're into, you might want to rent for several months and learn the areas and do more careful searches.

- Garris

PS: Oh, you're correct in assuming that, for the most part, good rentals and condos on the East Side will have some reserved parking.

Have you ever tried Enterprise? Their on Weybosset St and are much cheaper than Avis, especially on weekends where they have $ 9.99/day specials.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is such an awesome price, thanks. Where is weybosset st anyway? providence? :ph34r:

After reading many people's opinion in regards to the different neighborhood - I decided to rent an apartment in Wayland square since my current part of the training at RIH is 2 years. I'm loving it. Ed's barber/bakery/starbucks/east side market/whole food .... etc.

P

After reading many people's opinion in regards to the different neighborhood - I decided to rent an apartment in Wayland square since my current part of the training at RIH is 2 years. I'm loving it. Ed's barber/bakery/starbucks/east side market/whole food .... etc.

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the neighborhood! I love living here. What are you doing at RIH? I'm doing a fellowship there for 2 more years myself...

I also recommend Ed's Barber highly. Ed is great... Kind of the Soup Nazi of barbers... It's certainly the only barber shop I've ever gone into with Playboys in the magazine stack :). With all that, though, Ed is a great barber, and good for trainee lifestyles, as he opens at 7AM. Easily the best barber I've had in nearly 15 years...

Garris

My brother and his girlfriend were in town checking out apartments this weekend- They are weighing moving to Providence, close to my family, versus moving elsewhere, closer to her family.

I didn't get the final report, but it seemed like their impression was this: They don't want to pay East Side prices, and are much more attracted by the diversity of the communities elsewhere in the city. However, they were really frustrated by the lack of greenery and trees, and the overabundance of asphalt in the neighborhoods they looked at. They really wanted to find something with a little bit of grass to put a grill or plant some flowers, but every apartment they looked at had a completely paved yard, as did nearly all the neighbors. It's not that there is no space around the houses, it's that the space is all pavement. Basically, the stupid parking rules effected what they saw as an important quality of life issue. It looks like they may not move here, largely because of their impression of Providence as unattractive and barren due to the lack of green space. I wonder how many other potential residents and neighbors are scared out of Providence by this, and if the city and all those people who are against on-street parking will ever realize the impact this has on the overall appeal of the city.

Edit: Here's a snip from her blog: "I was impressed with Roger Williams park, and with an awesome free concert/parade/block party in the town center during Waterfire, with the fairly sangine populations of hipster youth, immigrants, African Americans, and a jumble of other people, and with the neat historical housing stock. People are not yet offering places for Sept. 1st, which is ok, since we didn't find anything perfect -- only adequate. Lots of homes in Providence have paved their small yards for parking because overnight parking is not allowed at all in the city. Providence was quite citylike, despite trees and commmunity gardens, the populations being rather friendly and the streets being pretty quiet. In the more suburban areas "there is no there, there" and in the more urban areas, there's a lot of concrete, asphalt, apartment buildings, houses, inaccessible empty lots (which, because of the weeds and the 'forgotten' quality were often the most attractive spaces to me) and light industrial buildings."

I think that's an interesting and accurate first impression.

Edited by ruchele

What do you guys think about Conrad Building (pro and cons)? Reason I ask is because my agent offer me one in that building, I believe it's on Westminster street (downcity)?

I thought getting info from you guys who has been in providence a while is better than me going there learning the place in 1 day :)

thank you all

My brother and his girlfriend were in town checking out apartments this weekend-  They are weighing moving to Providence, close to my family, versus moving elsewhere, closer to her family.

I didn't get the final report, but it seemed like their impression was this:  They don't want to pay East Side prices, and are much more attracted by the diversity of the communities elsewhere in the city.  However, they were really frustrated by the lack of greenery and trees, and the overabundance of asphalt in the neighborhoods they looked at.  They really wanted to find something with a little bit of grass to put a grill or plant some flowers, but every apartment they looked at had a completely paved yard, as did nearly all the neighbors.  It's not that there is no space around the houses, it's that the space is all pavement.  Basically, the stupid parking rules effected what they saw as an important quality of life issue.  It looks like they may not move here, largely because of their impression of Providence as unattractive and barren due to the lack of green space. I wonder how many other potential residents and neighbors are scared out of Providence by this, and if the city and all those people who are against on-street parking will ever realize the impact this has on the overall appeal of the city.

Edit:  Here's a snip from her blog: "I was impressed with Roger Williams park, and with an awesome free concert/parade/block party in the town center during Waterfire, with the fairly sangine populations of hipster youth, immigrants, African Americans, and a jumble of other people, and with the neat historical housing stock. People are not yet offering places for Sept. 1st, which is ok, since we didn't find anything perfect -- only adequate. Lots of homes in Providence have paved their small yards for parking because overnight parking is not allowed at all in the city. Providence was quite citylike, despite trees and commmunity gardens, the populations being rather friendly and the streets being pretty quiet. In the more suburban areas "there is no there, there" and in the more urban areas, there's a lot of concrete, asphalt, apartment buildings, houses, inaccessible empty lots (which, because of the weeds and the 'forgotten' quality were often the most attractive spaces to me) and light industrial buildings." 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is ahuge problem here and always has been!!!The city is not going to throw this $$$$ away until some tax producing revenue comes in to offset this.I posted an earlier article @ 3 things that Prov. can do to jumpstart its economy.There are cities 5X's bigger than us and just as dense that do not have parking bans...Parking should be allowed on one side of every street MINIMUM!!!Boston and Philadelphia are denser cities and they don't have parking bans...Prov. is too small a city to void the parking ban and lose revenue unless some big contributors to the tax base come in.Hopefully, with G-Tech and other new development,we can expand our tax base...I think that Cicilline understands this and is working on getting it done.In the past, and to some extent here and now,there are many old-fashioned NIMBY typical R.I. residents that don' feel comfortable with change.Cicilline is in the process of changing the zoning laws...#1 priority...Market to developers and businesspeople about Prov. being a happening city...Encourage Smart Growth development in the city and foster local businesses to take flight...We are such a small city that with 2 or 3 major players investing in our city ,I truly believe that we would be able to afford that revenue loss an move forward!!I'm so excited @ all this new development.I hope this can be a catalyst for good things to come.

It's true that apart from the East Side Providence doesn't have enough greenery.

There are some exceptions though. I don't know if they checked out Rising Sun. There's a lot of green space in the back plus the river. It's also next to a well tended park.

Also parts of Elmwood still have a leafy quality on streets like Adelaide and Atlantic closer to Elmwood Ave. Unlike Federal Hill and the Armory, Elmwood is more akin to parts of the East Side where there are yards and more substantial housing lots.

My brother and his girlfriend were in town checking out apartments this weekend-  They are weighing moving to Providence, close to my family, versus moving elsewhere, closer to her family.

I didn't get the final report, but it seemed like their impression was this:  They don't want to pay East Side prices, and are much more attracted by the diversity of the communities elsewhere in the city.  However, they were really frustrated by the lack of greenery and trees, and the overabundance of asphalt in the neighborhoods they looked at.  They really wanted to find something with a little bit of grass to put a grill or plant some flowers, but every apartment they looked at had a completely paved yard, as did nearly all the neighbors.  It's not that there is no space around the houses, it's that the space is all pavement.  Basically, the stupid parking rules effected what they saw as an important quality of life issue.  It looks like they may not move here, largely because of their impression of Providence as unattractive and barren due to the lack of green space. I wonder how many other potential residents and neighbors are scared out of Providence by this, and if the city and all those people who are against on-street parking will ever realize the impact this has on the overall appeal of the city.

Edit:  Here's a snip from her blog: "I was impressed with Roger Williams park, and with an awesome free concert/parade/block party in the town center during Waterfire, with the fairly sangine populations of hipster youth, immigrants, African Americans, and a jumble of other people, and with the neat historical housing stock. People are not yet offering places for Sept. 1st, which is ok, since we didn't find anything perfect -- only adequate. Lots of homes in Providence have paved their small yards for parking because overnight parking is not allowed at all in the city. Providence was quite citylike, despite trees and commmunity gardens, the populations being rather friendly and the streets being pretty quiet. In the more suburban areas "there is no there, there" and in the more urban areas, there's a lot of concrete, asphalt, apartment buildings, houses, inaccessible empty lots (which, because of the weeds and the 'forgotten' quality were often the most attractive spaces to me) and light industrial buildings." 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>