Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

That is ahuge problem here and always has been!!!The city is not going to throw this $$$$ away until some tax producing revenue comes in to offset this. . . .

There are cities 5X's bigger than us and just as dense that do not have parking bans...Boston and Philadelphia are denser cities and they don't have parking bans...Prov. is too small a city to void the parking ban and lose revenue unless some big contributors to the tax base come in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't understand what revenue you're talking about. The occasional parking tickets? They barely enforce the ban in most parts of the city, besides the East Side- I've parked on the street overnight at least five times and have never gotten a ticket. I am more afraid of my car getting broken into because it's the only one on the street, than I am afraid of getting a ticket.

There is a proposal on the table for a resident parking program- I think that's probably a good idea around the colleges, but I don't see the point anywhere else in the city. Let the city make their parking ticket income by having a resident parking program in residential areas around the school. I bet if they enforce that, they'll make way more than they make now in tickets city-wide.

It's not just that Boston and Philly don't have parking bans, NO ONE else has a parking ban (besides Brookline, MA, which is kind of like a whole town of East Side). Surely whatever imaginary economic benefit comes from banning parking will be more than made up for by improved public health and having more people who are interested in a beautiful and well-cared for city move here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what revenue you're talking about.  The occasional parking tickets? They barely enforce the ban in most parts of the city, besides the East Side-  I've parked on the street overnight at least five times and have never gotten a ticket.  I am more afraid of my car getting broken into because it's the only one on the street, than I am afraid of getting a ticket.

There is a proposal on the table for a resident parking program-  I think that's probably a good idea around the colleges, but I don't see the point anywhere else in the city.  Let the city make their parking ticket income by having a resident parking program in residential areas around the school.  I bet if they enforce that, they'll make way more than they make now in tickets city-wide.

It's not just that Boston and Philly don't have parking bans, NO ONE else has a parking ban (besides Brookline, MA, which is kind of like a whole town of East Side).  Surely whatever imaginary economic benefit comes from banning parking will be more than made up for by improved public health and having more people who are interested in a beautiful and well-cared for city move here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where you live, but parking is a real deterrent for some people when it comes to moving in a certain area. This city has not yet established a satisfactory transportation system to allow many people to turn in their cars and commute on public transportation. If there is no adequate parking, many people will forgo that living space for somewhere else..This has happened to me before when I contemplated moving to the West End.I commute daily to Quincy, MA. If there is no parking space, I am not moving there.The point of my comment was,Ruchele, that the thought processes of government is changing.Prov. has been under a Mafia dictatorship for way too long. Cicilline is changing our reputation and making certain decisions to propel economic activity....and yes, the parking dilemma does pose an issue when it comes to economic development.It's the main reason that people from outlying areas of R.I won't visit the capital city.They assume it will be a hassle.It is why certain professionals that WANT to live here and commute daily don't choose some of Prov.'s denser neighborhoods!!!!!(Federal Hill, West End, Smith Hill)It's the main reason Joey ( Mafia Boss ) Paolino wants to knock every angel love historic building down to build a parking lot or a garage!!!And 1 more thing...If you think that revenue from tickets doesn't matter, then why is it always in Projo how much the city is owed in unpaid tickets? The police don't patrol the East Side Ruchele! They only RESPOND to their calls!!The other 150k residents that live on the "other side" are ticketed because the police patrol their streets. P.S. ....If parking were allowed on the street, it would certainly slow some of the as^$^#%#%^hole drivers that live here....It most certainly would NOT cause more of a problem...

Andrew W. Miller is the city's new Parking Czar (<--my term :) ). People should write to him at City Hall with their concerns on parking, he's sure to be hearing from the people who want parking to stay the same as it is now.

The police don't patrol the East Side Ruchele! They only RESPOND to their calls!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is most certainly not the case. The Providence Police Department has a sub station on Brooks Street (there's another sub station on Camp Street) paid for by Brown University. PPD operates patrols out of this substation (including foot patrols). There is an area Lt. appointed to each district (Lt. Campbell on the East Side is a great guy, he's eager to hear anyone's concerns on neighbourhood crime). Brown Police and RISD Public Safety also patrol the areas around their campuses 24/7.

Andrew W. Miller is the city's new Parking Czar (<--my term :) ). People should write to him at City Hall with their concerns on parking, he's sure to be hearing from the people who want parking to stay the same as it is now.

That is most certainly not the case. The Providence Police Department has a sub station on Brooks Street (there's another sub station on Camp Street) paid for by Brown University. PPD operates patrols out of this substation (including foot patrols). There is an area Lt. appointed to each district (Lt. Campbell on the East Side is a great guy, he's eager to hear anyone's concerns on neighbourhood crime). Brown Police and RISD Public Safety also patrol the areas around their campuses 24/7.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've yet to drive down Thayer St lately at night and not see a police car. But I wish they could step up their patrols and catch these punks robbing the college kids. A female student just had her bag snatch a few days ago and there's been way too many muggings in the College Hill area in recent months/years.

Edited by Frankie811

I don't know where you live, but parking is a  real deterrent for some people when it comes to moving  in a certain area. This city has not yet established a satisfactory transportation system to allow many people to turn in their cars and commute on public transportation. If there is no adequate parking, many people will forgo that living space for somewhere else..This has happened to me before when I contemplated moving to the West End.I commute daily to Quincy, MA. If there is no parking space, I am not moving there.The point of my comment was,Ruchele, that the thought processes of government is changing.Prov. has been under a Mafia dictatorship for way too long. Cicilline is changing our reputation and making certain decisions to propel economic activity....and yes, the parking dilemma does pose an issue when it comes to economic development.It's the main reason that people from outlying areas of R.I won't visit the capital city.They assume it will be a hassle.It is why certain professionals that WANT to live here and commute daily don't choose some of Prov.'s denser neighborhoods!!!!!(Federal Hill, West End, Smith Hill)It's the main reason Joey ( Mafia Boss ) Paolino wants to knock every angel love historic building down to build a parking lot or a garage!!!And 1 more thing...If you think that revenue from tickets doesn't matter, then why is it always in Projo how much the city is owed in unpaid tickets? The police don't patrol the East Side Ruchele! They only RESPOND to their calls!!The other 150k residents that live on the "other side" are ticketed because the police patrol their streets. P.S. ....If parking were allowed on the street, it would certainly slow some of the as^$^#%#%^hole drivers that live here....It most certainly would NOT cause more of a problem...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is quite obvious that Ruchele was referring to the thousands upon thousands of on-street parking spaces that would be opened up by allowed overnight street parking.

As we have discussed extensively here before, it is a solution to many quality of life problems that seem to be holding Providence back.

I've yet to drive down Thayer St lately at night and not see a police car. But I wish they could step up their patrols and catch these punks robbing the college kids. A female student just had her bag snatch a few days ago and there's been way too many muggings in the College Hill area in recent months/years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, short of having an officer on every corner, it's really hard to boost the patrols any more, it's a big city, and we only have so much money.

Criminals know that the students on the Hill are good targets (walking ATMs). Especially the younger students who are here for Brown and RISDs summer programs. The colleges have their SafeRide shuttle program which helps students move around the East Side more safely. Students need to be more street smart and it is a constant struggle for the schools to make them street smart. Young girls walking by themselves blabbing on their cell phones are totally oblivious to the car pulling up behind them, and the perp getting out to jump them. Unlike PC or RIC, the East Side colleges have open campuses with buildings scattered throughout the neighbourhood. This makes for a very porous patrol area, and students having much more interaction with the outside world.

Then the students create quality of life issues themselves which divert police and public safety attention from patroling for the real criminals.

I will add one thing though with regards to police presence and action on the East Side as well as Downtown/city, I've lived here since 1984 and I have never even heard of someone getting a DUI. I work with students frequently from Brown and RISD and I ask everyone I can if they have even heard of this happening and to date not a singe "yes." Do people get DUIs anywhere in this city? It certainly has nothing to do with the idea that people don't drink and drive. I see people on a regular basis doing between 50 and 70 mph down benefit street as bars/clubs get out swerving all over the place and occaisionally hitting parked cars or our "beloved" "gas" street lights.

I will add one thing though with regards to police presence and action on the East Side  as well as Downtown/city, I've lived here since 1984 and I have never even heard of someone getting a DUI. I work with students frequently from Brown and RISD and I ask everyone I can if they have even heard of this happening and to date not a singe "yes." Do people get DUIs anywhere in this city? It certainly has nothing to do with the idea that people don't drink and drive. I see people on a regular basis doing between 50 and 70 mph down benefit street as bars/clubs get out swerving all over the place and occaisionally hitting parked cars or our "beloved" "gas" street lights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your 100% correct. As a person who's been caught MANY times I can tell you that they'll do anything besides arresting you, such as taking your keys, taking you to RI Hospital, calling you a cab or even driving you home or calling someone to come pick you up. When it comes to doing paper work they are very lazy.

Your 100% correct. As a person who's been caught MANY times I can tell you that they'll do anything besides arresting you, such as taking your keys, taking you to RI Hospital, calling you a cab or even driving you home or calling someone to come pick you up. When it comes to doing paper work they are very lazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankie, are you admitting to driving drunk, and complaining that you haven't been arrested? It seems to me that there is a more obvious problem here than that the cops are lazy.

Frankie, are you admitting to driving drunk, and complaining that you haven't been arrested?  It seems to me that there is a more obvious problem here than that the cops are lazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:unsure: Absolutely... Be safe, Frankie... :ph34r:

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I moved to Providece in November from Philadelphia. We did some research and ended up renting in the Armory area. Although we like the energy of the area, it is lacking some of the features we like about living in the city, such as bars, restaurants, cafe's etc. within walking distance. After gaining knowledge reading this forum for the past few months, we found a great apartment in Hope Village.eWe love the idea of being able to walk agian. Plus, since I work at Brown, it is very conveniant.

Anyway, does anybody have recomendations for reliable, trustworthy local movers in

Providence? I found one company, Blueline Movers (http://www.bluelinemovers.com/) out of Boston that sounded good.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris

Edited by ultracruz

My wife and I moved to Providece in November from Philadelphia. We did some research and ended up renting in the Armory area. Although we like the energy of the area, it is lacking some of the features we like about living in the city, such as bars, restaurants, cafe's etc. within walking distance. After gaining knowledge reading this forum for the past few months, we found a great apartment in Hope Village.eWe love the idea of being able to walk agian. Plus, since I work at Brown, it is very
Edited by Frankie811

Hi All --

[Meg] So weah heah ;-)!!! Trollied from Downcity to Fox Point, walked a bit to Wayland Sq. Back on the trolley to Federal Hill ... OOPS went too far and saw Shaw's World Market. Got back on to Depasquale Square and stopped at Jessie's for Gelato (WE LOVE HER!)

[urb] Meg's leaving out that last night aftah we gawt in, we walked ovah (ok, I'll stop now) to Providence Place, ate at Joe's (since you can), watched a bit of the Water Fire activities, and so on.

Our actual itinerary today was that we took the #92 trolley over to Fox Point, got off at the corner of Wickenden and Ives or so (since that's as far as it goes on Sundays), then walked over to Gano St., walked up the hill, perused the housing stock along the way, took a right on Pitman, went over to Wayland Ave., then walked around Wayland Square, then proceeded west on Angell until we could pick up the #92 again at Angell and Brooks. Took it all the way to the other end, then got off at Jessie's for the aforementioned gelato.

Later this afternoon, I got hold of Matt's real-estate guy, (thanks for the referral, Matt) and made an appointment to have him drag us around town on Tuesday. In the meantime, what do you call the neighborhood between Wayland Square and where we picked up the trolley?

We liked the looks of Wayland Sq., so we'll probably take another long look at it with Matt's guy, among the other neighborhoods he wants to take us to.

While we're at it, are there any jazz clubs in town? I don't have a horn with me (trombone), and when I used to play music in the Boston area, I hardly ever got down to this area. Any suggestions?

Urb/Meg

Hi guys- if you don't remember me, I was asking about "leafy" places to live in and around Providence. I finally moved from Kansas City (phew!), am staying in Vermont, and made a trip to look for apartments in Providence last week. I narrowed it down to several areas but wanted to get some opinions. I saw a beautiful apartment off of Benefit Street on Arnold St, which I would share with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom. No parking and tight quarters are the major downfalls but I loved the area and Benefit Street (nice and "leafy") and the locations is great for me considering I will work at Rhode Island Hospital. Next, I saw a beautiful 2 bedroom (I would need a roommate) in Riverside that has a nice view of Narragansett Bay from the kitchen, bedroom, and another room. Nice backyard, plenty of parking space, and close to a park on the water and bike path. Downfalls are a funky/somewhat dumpy neighborhood, nowhere to hang out, no cafes, bars, or restaurants that look decent. Finally, I considered Newport although I didn't see any places there because I didn't know about the commute. I noticed that the monthly ferry passes are $45/month and have heard that parts of Newport are cool but wondered if anyone had more opinions about living there. So, any opinions about these three options: Benefit St., Riverside, or Newport, would be MUCH appreciated as I need to make a decision SOON! :) Thanks!

Judging by your website you guys do get around  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the links. We do like to travel. I suppose since we're moving from the Armory to Hope, a local mover would make more sense. Blueline caught my eye because they are staffed by artists and musicians.

Chris

In the meantime, what do you call the neighborhood between Wayland Square and where we picked up the trolley?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That area would be listed as East Side or College Hill, though both actually cover a pretty large swathe of varied areas.

Benefit St., Riverside, or Newport

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it were me I'd go with Benefit Street. I think the tight quarters would be made up by the fact that you can just walk out the door and have plenty of diversions. Riverside, from your own description sounds less like that would be the case, could make one a bit stir crazy, especially in winter.

I'd love to live in Newport, but I think that would be quite a haul to RIH. The ferry would be a good option in summer, but as of now, it only runs through October, so you'd be driving, and 95 from Newport in the winter is hardly a picnic.

So, any opinions about these three options: Benefit St., Riverside, or Newport, would be MUCH appreciated as I need to make a decision SOON!  :)  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's late and I need to head to sleep, but quickly, I'd rule out Newport if you're working at RIH. It takes people working there who live in Bristol nearly an hour traffic-wise at times, and that's WAAAY closer to RIH than Newport...

Riverside and Benefit St are two dramatically different areas. I know people who live in both places and love them for different reasons.

Riverside is cheap, "leafy," and living there gives you phenomenal access to the bike path, water, and parks. It's only a quick drive away from all the amenities in Providence for much less money.

Benefit St is Benefit St. One of America's most beautiful neighborhoods (in my opinion), right on the edge of downtown and College Hill. You'll pay top dollar, but the lack of parking on the East Side could be a big deal...

Tough one! Me being the urban guy I am, I'd take Benefit St and pay for parking nearby, but you won't be unhappy in Riverside and just driving a few minutes (or RIPTA, there's a line there) into the city for the places to hang...

- Garris

While we're at it, are there any jazz clubs in town?  I don't have a horn with me (trombone), and when I used to play music in the Boston area, I hardly ever got down to this area.  Any suggestions?

Urb/Meg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Urb,

Every Tuesday night at Tazza, there is a jazz/funk jam session from 8:30-11:30. There is usually a trio of trombone, organ, and drums, hosted by Brian Thomas (from the Boston area actually), and they encourage folks to come sit in and solo. Its all about improv. I sit in from time to time (flute). Some times I'll be there every week, but sometimes life gets in the way. Maybe I'll see you there?

Also, lots of jazz at the High Hat in Davol Square. For your listening pleasure, Hal Crook plays trombone with his band at AS220 every Tuesday night, as well. There are a few other open mic's around town. I believe the Custom House has one, Wednesday perhaps?

Glad to hear you met up with my realtor. I hope you have as much success as I did. BTW, there are several cute houses for sale in my neighborhood, Elmhurst, recently.

Cheers,

Matt