Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Gentle Giants movers.  I moved with them in May, and it was my least stressful move yet.  If I recall, their rates seemed a bit higher than others when I called around, but they moved so much faster than my previous movers that it was cheaper in the end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually end up with movers who move like turtles er, sorry......... :D

Thanks for the links. We do like to travel. I suppose since we're moving from the Armory to Hope, a local mover would make more sense. Blueline caught my eye because they are staffed by artists and musicians.

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A word of caution. Do not sign anything after they've delivered your furinture untill you've checked it all out. Once you sign the order, you've released them for liability to any damage done to your furniture. Take it from someone who's been there. They do carry insurance, but you won't get the full value.

Hey Urb,

Glad to hear you met up with my realtor.  I hope you have as much success as I did.  BTW, there are several cute houses for sale in my neighborhood, Elmhurst, recently.

Cheers,

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt, I don't see Elmhurst/Academy/Mt Pleasant mentioned too much in this forum. What are houses going for in those neighborhoods?

Benefit St is Benefit St.  One of America's most beautiful neighborhoods (in my opinion), right on the edge of downtown and College Hill.  You'll pay top dollar, but the lack of parking on the East Side could be a big deal...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree here, my vote would be on Benefit Street. Of course there are other factors, like the roomate-to-space ratio and stuff like that, but if you can swing the dollars, I think it wins hands down..

Matt, I don't see Elmhurst/Academy/Mt Pleasant mentioned too much in this forum. What are houses going for in those neighborhoods?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I can tell you that one of my friends is looking for a 2/3BR single family house in Elmhurst, and is finding prices to be around $230k-$280k. That seems really inflated, but it is a nice quiet neighborhood. I haven't looked to see what other properties are going for.

Hey Urb,

Every Tuesday night at Tazza, there is a jazz/funk jam session from 8:30-11:30.  There is usually a trio of trombone, organ, and drums, hosted by Brian Thomas (from the Boston area actually), and they encourage folks to come sit in and solo.  Its all about improv.  I sit in from time to time (flute).  Some times I'll be there every week, but sometimes life gets in the way.  Maybe I'll see you there? 

Also, lots of jazz at the High Hat in Davol Square.  For your listening pleasure, Hal Crook plays trombone with his band at AS220 every Tuesday night, as well.  There are a few other open mic's around town.  I believe the Custom House has one, Wednesday perhaps?

Glad to hear you met up with my realtor.  I hope you have as much success as I did.  BTW, there are several cute houses for sale in my neighborhood, Elmhurst, recently.

Cheers,

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hal Crook -- wow! I think I saw him back when he was with Phil Woods, or maybe not. Terrific player, in any case. I hate open mic sessions, because they're total meat markets -- but you do sometimes meet good players there, so it's a good place to collect phone numbers (as in a conventional meat market).

Today, we did a little riding around on the buses. The ones we took (40 and 42) were right on schedule -- is that usually the case?

Urb

Today, we did a little riding around on the buses.  The ones we took (40 and 42) were right on schedule -- is that usually the case?

Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: No, that is not usually the case.

Actually, I'll give RIPTA a little credit here, rush hour buses are usually on time I'd say 7/10 times. It's the non rush hour buses that I've noticed are late the most.

Well, I can tell you that one of my friends is looking for a 2/3BR single family house in Elmhurst, and is finding prices to be around $230k-$280k.  That seems really inflated, but it is a nice quiet neighborhood.  I haven't looked to see what other properties are going for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you a well maintained, decent sized 3BR is around $300K in Elmhurst. I know of two new constructions in the neighborhood going for around $390K. In terms of inflated, it is all relevant. Before moving back to RI I lived in the Allston/Brighton section and sold my 1BR condo on a semi-noisy street for in excess of $200K. So an extra 100K for an addtional 1200 square feet, a nice yard and a great neighborhood with a real sense of community seemed like a steal.

Hi guys- if you don't remember me, I was asking about "leafy" places to live in and around Providence. I finally moved from Kansas City (phew!), am staying in Vermont, and made a trip to look for apartments in Providence last week. I narrowed it down to several areas but wanted to get some opinions. I saw a beautiful apartment off of Benefit Street on Arnold St, which I would share with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom. No parking and tight quarters are the major downfalls but I loved the area and Benefit Street (nice and "leafy") and the locations is great for me considering I will work at Rhode Island Hospital. Next, I saw a beautiful 2 bedroom (I would need a roommate) in Riverside that has a nice view of Narragansett Bay from the kitchen, bedroom, and another room. Nice backyard, plenty of parking space, and close to a park on the water and bike path. Downfalls are a funky/somewhat dumpy neighborhood, nowhere to hang out, no cafes, bars, or restaurants that look decent. Finally, I considered Newport although I didn't see any places there because I didn't know about the commute. I noticed that the monthly ferry passes are $45/month and have heard that parts of Newport are cool but wondered if anyone had more opinions about living there. So, any opinions about these three options: Benefit St., Riverside, or Newport, would be MUCH appreciated as I need to make a decision SOON!  :)  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not a big fan of commuting. I prefer living close to where I work. However, my brother-in-law commutes from Newport to Providence daily and doesn't think it's all that bad. He lives off of Broadway in Newport (where the bus to prov travels) and works in downton providence. He takes the bus most days, and it's only a 50 minute ride if you catch the express bus. The am one leaves newport at 7:10am and arrives in downtown prov (kennedy plaza) at 8:00am. The afternoon express bus leaves prov at 5:10am and arrives in newport at 6:00pm. However, if you miss the express bus it takes more like 1 1/4 hours.

see schedule:

http://ripta.com/schedules/view.php

choose the #60

Newport has lots of nice neighborhoods with old victorian and colonial houses, but home prices have skyrocketed in the last couple years. In the late 90s, you could find houses for less than $200,000, but now it's hard to find any for less thatn $300,000. I'm not sure about the rental market.

I grew up in Newport, and it's a nice place to live, expecially since its right on the ocean. Other nice things: old architecture, compact walkable/bikeable city so you don't need a car to get around town, it has cooler summers (ocean breeze) and slightly warmer winters than providence. On the downside, it gets really touristy in the summer months, and generally goesn't have as much interesting urban cultural stuff as providence (where I lived as a college student). Although, from my recent visits, it does seem that Newport has a lot more urban cultural stuff, i.e. intenet cafes,funky bars,ethnic restaurants, yoga studios, etc.) than when I lived there in the 80s and 90s.

Well, I can tell you that one of my friends is looking for a 2/3BR single family house in Elmhurst, and is finding prices to be around $230k-$280k.  That seems really inflated, but it is a nice quiet neighborhood.  I haven't looked to see what other properties are going for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our whirlwind tour, with your real-estate guy, took us up Smith St., with sidetracks up Pinehurst, Tyndall, Elmhurst, Wyndham, Fairoaks, Quincy, and Pleasant Valley (I was following the route with a highlighter on our street map, so we'd remember where we'd been). The houses in that area may seem inflated -- but considering what has happened to residential real estate just about everywhere you'd want to live, it's really not bad.

I think Plan A, at this point, will probably be someplace on the east side -- but Elmhurst, the Armory district, and parts of Federal Hill also merit consideration, especially depending on what the dinero situation does over the next year or so. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone on the forum from the Armory area? What's it like to live there?

Urb

Our whirlwind tour, with your real-estate guy, took us up Smith St., with sidetracks up Pinehurst, Tyndall, Elmhurst, Wyndham, Fairoaks, Quincy, and Pleasant Valley (I was following the route with a highlighter on our street map, so we'd remember where we'd been).  The houses in that area may seem inflated -- but considering what has happened to residential real estate just about everywhere you'd want to live, it's really not bad.

I think Plan A, at this point, will probably be someplace on the east side -- but Elmhurst, the Armory district, and parts of Federal Hill also merit consideration, especially depending on what the dinero situation does over the next year or so.  :rolleyes:

Is there anyone on the forum from the Armory area?  What's it like to live there?

Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Overrated, Overpriced, and not really a good area...Beautiful homes if you like living in a bubble ! Cranston Street has neighborhood services if you like living on the edge!! ( drugs , crime, neglect ) The area establishments cater to mostly Hispanics and Asians..If you have a car, you may not mind. On the other hand, Elmhurst is the same way with scattered neighborhood merchants. You really can't walk to the store unless you live close to one of the clustered blocks..However, the area is probably one of the best areas in the city other than the East Side neighborhoods...and the price is a lot cheaper!!

Overrated, Overpriced, and not really a good area...Beautiful homes if you like living in a bubble ! Cranston Street has neighborhood services if you like living on the edge!! ( drugs , crime, neglect ) The area establishments cater to mostly Hispanics and Asians..If you have a car, you may not mind. On the other hand, Elmhurst is the same way with scattered neighborhood merchants. You really can't walk to the store unless you live close to one of the clustered blocks..However, the area is probably one of the best areas in the city other than the East Side neighborhoods...and the price is a lot cheaper!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brings back memories of Jamaica Plain -- at least the drugs, crime, and neglect. :rolleyes: I lived there for about a year and a half, and I think my apartment was broken into a few weeks after I left. They had the occasional drive-by, too....

Urb

Our whirlwind tour, with your real-estate guy, took us up Smith St.,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what, I was driving through Smith Hill today, and that area really frustrates me... There are some beautiful buildings there, but the whole area is just so undercared for and underloved.

For example, I'm driving on Pleasant Valley Parkway towards the Davis Park, and there's just garbage everywhere. There are families on the front porches (good thing) of their beautifully restored triple deckers and Victorians, with their kids playing, while feet away there's just garbage littering their little lawns, the sidewalks, and the street. I mean, people, walk 3 feet and go pick up some of this stuff!

Farther down Chalkstone, there's a good, healthy mix of businesses, like restaurants, markets, pharmacies, etc. Both locally owned and chains. Great, neighborhood-supporting stuff. But the signage is falling apart, windows broken, lots are a mess, sidewalks dirty, etc. etc.

It's a frustrating head scratcher... Where's the pride? [sigh]

- Garris

Ultracruz...I know you.  Here's a hint...Spicers.  Take my advice.  Gentle Giant rules.  A little more expensive, but by far the most organized, professional movers around.  Did the job much faster than other movers and they didn't scratch a thing.  You get what you pay for with movers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're using Gentile Giant. I'll let you know how it goes...

You know what, I was driving through Smith Hill today, and that area really frustrates me...  There are some beautiful buildings there, but the whole area is just so undercared for and underloved. 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I often have the same thoughts. I live in Elmhurst and work downtown, so at least five days I week I go back and forth via Smith St. (either via a bus or car). Maybe its just because I spend a far amount of time staring at the streetscape, but it seems like there should be a lot of potential in the neighborhood, especially the portion around the intersections of Smith, Orms and Chalkstone heading toward 95, given 1) its proximity to downtown and 2) the quality of some of the housing stock. Maybe what you and I are observing comes from the absence of a "pride of ownership." I don't know what percentage of the neighborhood is owner occupied versus rental, but if it is renter dominated that might explain in part the absence of care. Just to be clear I am not knocking renters in general, but I think people are more likley to go out of their way to improve an area (e.g. cleaning the street in front of their home even though it is technically the city's responsibility) when they have bought into a community, in constrast to someone who is more transitory.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm just curious if anyone knows of any good places/sites to check out for apartment listings in providence. my current lease is coming to an end and while i'd love to stay in the place i'm in now, it isn't exactly what i want (although i know i'll never find that) and it can get expensive in the winter (to the point where i can barely afford to do much else). so i'm looking to move.

other than craigslist and projo.com, does anyone know of any good websites or even newspapers or other places to look for apartments? does anyone here know any landlords in the city who have 1 bedroom apartments available for a reasonable rent?

here's what i'm looking for (and i'm not just copping out and asking you guys, but it can't hurt to ask)... 1 bedroom (possibly 2 or 1br with an extra room for office space) for up to $750 a month, but that has to include some utilties (like heat/hot water). i also need parking and would prefer a full bath (not one of those stand up shower stalls). i realize i might be asking for a lot, but there are apartments available. i don't need to stay within the city limits, but i'm not really willing to go very far either (warwick is out of the question) because RIPTA doesn't work for my work schedule and i'll need to drive to work everyday. i also prefer to stay away from the sketchier areas.

really i just need some guidance, i found my first apartment in north prov on projo and refuse to rent from that property management company again. i lucked out with my current place and found it through the off campus living office at PC (where i am employed). thanks in advance...

i'm just curious if anyone knows of any good places/sites to check out for apartment listings in providence.  my current lease is coming to an end and while i'd love to stay in the place i'm in now, it isn't exactly what i want (although i know i'll never find that) and it can get expensive in the winter (to the point where i can barely afford to do much else).  so i'm looking to move.

other than craigslist and projo.com, does anyone know of any good websites or even newspapers or other places to look for apartments?  does anyone here know any landlords in the city who have 1 bedroom apartments available for a reasonable rent?

here's what i'm looking for (and i'm not just copping out and asking you guys, but it can't hurt to ask)... 1 bedroom (possibly 2 or 1br with an extra room for office space) for up to $750 a month, but that has to include some utilties (like heat/hot water).  i also need parking and would prefer a full bath (not one of those stand up shower stalls).  i realize i might be asking for a lot, but there are apartments available.  i don't need to stay within the city limits, but i'm not really willing to go very far either (warwick is out of the question) because RIPTA doesn't work for my work schedule and i'll need to drive to work everyday.  i also prefer to stay away from the sketchier areas.

really i just need some guidance, i found my first apartment in north prov on projo and refuse to rent from that property management company again.  i lucked out with my current place and found it through the off campus living office at PC (where i am employed).  thanks in advance...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.rent.com/

http://www.apartments.com/

They may be an apartment available in my complex here in East Providence. Most apts are 1 bd with heat/gas/cold water included. Many have balconies and air conditioners and plenty of off street parking. This is a four building complex in a nice middle class neighborhood. It is directly on a RIPTA route and the grounds, the apartments and the buildings are well kept. Calls for maintence are promtly answered. Laundry facilities are available. Nearby are several chinese restuarants, banks, a discount supermarket and an all night Cumberland Farms. The East Bay bike path is nearby as is a nine hole golf course. Also an all night CVS & Brooks. New renters will pay between $ 750 - 775. If interested please email me for more details.

• 4 months later...

hello... i'm a first-year grad student at brown and am looking into moving from my apartment on the eastside to perhaps one of the pearl street lofts, or to one of the nicely renovated properties on westminster. the apartments i looked at were really lovely, but i wonder if anyone can comment about safety? my two main concerns are: i prefer to bike in to school, so i need to be sure that there is a safe route for a woman to take by herself from either pearl st or westminster over to brown (even if biking at night!), and also, i'm a pretty serious runner and would want to be living in not just a safe neighborhood, but also be able to go out for long runs that are more than just around-the-blockers safely. (maybe down to india point park and along the bike path from there?) if anyone has suggestions or comments about safety, routes to take, roads to avoid, that would be very greatly appreciated!

finally, if anyone out there currently lives in the pearl street lofts, i would love to hear your comments based on your experience living there. (i.e., do the walls insulate pretty well against the noise, thoughts about being right next to the high school, any comments regarding how tenant issues are handled there, general neighborhood thoughts, where to find the closest farmers' market or other great fresh produce stands, etc).

many, many thanks for any advice you can offer!

-daniellabella-

Hi daniellabella,

It seems to me that Westminster would be a much better choice than Pearl St. You would much closer to Brown, making walking and biking easier. Walking from the Van Wickle gates to say the Shepard bldg is like 10 mins tops. You're also close to areas where you would want to run in such as College Hill and the rest of the East Side. Plus, I bet Brown saftey shuttle and safe walk covers downtown now given RISD's push into the area. Lastly, downtown is not a particularly dangerous place. However, you may want to stick to the Westminster/College St. corridor as opposed to using Kennedy Plaza. Others on this board may have better ideas about what routes to use.

As far as Pearl St., it's in a pretty tough area though there are definitely tougher neighborhoods out there. You would have to negoitiate crossing 95 and unlike with Atwells, the crossing points south such as Broad St. are pretty deserted at night. On the plus side, though, you have a lot of good Asian markets and bodegas in the area not to mention the part of Westminster where White Electric is. Given your situation,though, I would only suggest Pearl St if you had access to a car.

hello... i'm a first-year grad student at brown and am looking into moving from my apartment on the eastside to perhaps one of the pearl street lofts, or to one of the nicely renovated properties on westminster. the apartments i looked at were really lovely, but i wonder if anyone can comment about safety? my two main concerns are: i prefer to bike in to school, so i need to be sure that there is a safe route for a woman to take by herself from either pearl st or westminster over to brown (even if biking at night!), and also, i'm a pretty serious runner and would want to be living in not just a safe neighborhood, but also be able to go out for long runs that are more than just around-the-blockers safely. (maybe down to india point park and along the bike path from there?) if anyone has suggestions or comments about safety, routes to take, roads to avoid, that would be very greatly appreciated!

finally, if anyone out there currently lives in the pearl street lofts, i would love to hear your comments based on your experience living there. (i.e., do the walls insulate pretty well against the noise, thoughts about being right next to the high school, any comments regarding how tenant issues are handled there, general neighborhood thoughts, where to find the closest farmers' market or other great fresh produce stands, etc).

many, many thanks for any advice you can offer!

-daniellabella-

I don't think you need a car to live in the Pearl St. lofts. They are actually closer to downtown than Westminster. If you're somewhat street-wise and don't mind the ethnic mix and edgy spots, it's a great fit. If you ask me if I would feel safe if my sister or mother lived in either of the two, I would say NO!