Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am assuming that some of us are getting confused with which part of westminster is being discussed. Armory vs Downcity Westminster. Since the topic heading includes "west-end neighborhoods" I assumed she was talking armory. But reading the OP, seemes more likely downcity westminster.

My rec would be downcity based on your needs and wants.

Edited by basachs

hello, everyone --

thank you for your responses, it's a huge help to get some opinions about a section of town i'm really not at all familiar with. regarding the westminster confusion, my apologies: the apartments i am considering are indeed located in the armory district on westminster, rather than downcity. it sounds like that makes a big difference in what the neighborhoods are like?

thanks!

daniella

hello, everyone --

thank you for your responses, it's a huge help to get some opinions about a section of town i'm really not at all familiar with. regarding the westminster confusion, my apologies: the apartments i am considering are indeed located in the armory district on westminster, rather than downcity. it sounds like that makes a big difference in what the neighborhoods are like?

thanks!

daniella

It is indeed a big difference in what the neighborhoods are like. Westminster in the Armory will be cheaper, more auto friendly, but not as convenient by foot or bike. Downcity will be more expensive, more nearby conveniences, and more of a pain if you have a car. I live right off westminster in the Armory and I love it. If you are walking to downtown the stretch of westminster is a bit sketchy around wiggins village and the various industrial buildings, but its more that its just kind of empty after dark. I wouldnt be overly concerened about it. I think you mentioned earlier that you like to run though, and to be honest I wouldnt feel particularly safe running here. Not because of crime, but because of drivers running stop signs, not yielding to pedestrians, etc. Drivers are bad in most of the city, but it seems to be a bit amplified here. We have a 4 way stop on our street and I constantly see people just flying through it without even slowing down. Anyhow, I'm a big cheerleader for the armory. Im sure if you search through the other threads you will find me extolling its virtues quite a bit. It's certainly my favorite neighborhood of alll the places I have lived in Providence.

Liam

Okay so I'm moving to Pawtucket (Darlington).

My dad's old mail route before he retired! :whistling: There's a restaurant/pub on Benefit St. that is in an old fire station, and I remember frequenting a nightclub/bar at the corner of Armistice and Newport Ave, and a pub on Newport Ave near Slater Park. I know that Bally's on Newport Ave is a popular spot for the singles crowd in that area. My wife's from that area, we would go to those places frequently... (when I was courting her, of course!) :thumbsup:

Okay so I'm moving to Pawtucket (Darlington). Can anyone point out some good bars in the area, good places to eat, etc? I like all kinds of bars, especially ones with mixed crowds as long as there are young people there too. Anyone got any ideas?

For no frills breakfast thats good and incredibly cheap try Kips on Newport ave. Its like a time warp whenever i go in there. Its your basic diner food.. not as creative as what Modern has been doing but still pretty great. and you can't beat the price. I go once every few weeks at least.

I'm not much of a bar person, but a new place for eating just opened recently. It's an offshoot of Crazy Burger in Narragansett called the Mad House Cafe. It's right down by the river in the old Apex building. I think they may have a bar too (at least they had lots of liquor bottles ;)

Hope you like Darlington - it's a bit quiet if you've moved from Providence, but sometimes that can be a plus.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just remembered too that I will now be only a few short miles from Stanleys in Central Falls :yahoo:

Well you could always take the bus into Providence and then at 2am when you're all liquored up you could... well... um... let's see... wait in Kennedy Plaza until morning. :unsure:

Brooksie's Pub on Smithfield Ave. isn't bad for a sports bar.

Garden Grill / Barney's on the city line are good, too. A little further down on East Avenue is the East Avenue Cafe which has decent pub food.

Don't forget LJ's bbq which is moving in right next to Barney's!

East Ave sucks now. It really bums me out... new owners took over recently and the quality of food took a serious nosedive. I've been going to that place since 1990.. it was one of the places i would amost go to weekly. you could always count on a good meal.

they used to have the BEST chicken parm! fresh, tasty etc...Now you get a frozen dryed out chicken parts patty in a bleached white sub roll with crappy sauce and subpar cheese. not to mention many other menu items that have changed for the worse. and don't get me started on the drunk as crap waitress that always seems to be there.. always forgetting your food, leaving you hanging, slobbering all over you etc.

and this is not just me that feels like this.. at least 10 of my friends have said the same.. what a friggen shame.. nothing has taken its place either. I sometimes head there absent-mindedly only to remember what a craphole it is now.

Its ok to have a drink in but as a dinner/lunch spot its glory days are gone.

When did East Ave change owners? I had buffalo chicken sandwich there last June and it was incredible, have they changed since then?

Yes. It was during football season sometime. They stopped doing a lot of the cool things they used to do even during games. I have a feeling the new ownership will be short lived. They seem to be trying to run the place like a McDonald's, presumably because they have to recoup their investment. The way the place was run before I sometimes wonder how they made a profit, but they probably had very little debt service.

Some very important things that are gone:

- The awesome cornbread

- The house salad dressing (also awesome)

- Free stuff during Monday Night Footbal

- Good cooking. The last meal I had there was just not that good, at least comparatively.

I recently hired Blueline Movers a great company out of Newton, Mass. I was amazed at how stress-free the relocation went. My concern was with my antiques but they padded them quickly and moved with grace, efficiency and were very well spoken and interesting as individuals. Also, they have a very easy to use website -

http://www.bluelinemovers.com

I quickly had a quote in writing for my boss so I could get reimbursed for the moving expenses. After past experiences with other moving companies Blueline Movers was a welcome breath of fresh air.

Maggie

I recently hired Blueline Movers a great company out of Newton, Mass. I was amazed at how stress-free the relocation went. My concern was with my antiques but they padded them quickly and moved with grace, efficiency and were very well spoken and interesting as individuals. Also, they have a very easy to use website -

http://www.bluelinemovers.com

I quickly had a quote in writing for my boss so I could get reimbursed for the moving expenses. After past experiences with other moving companies Blueline Movers was a welcome breath of fresh air.

Maggie

Haha, that reads like a script for a TV commercial. Then in the fine print it would say: "paid testimonial".

Edited by JJK5

In moving from Providence to Pawtucket we had a good experience with the crew from Corrigan movers in CF.

Chris Corrigan Moving Incorporated

169 Cowden St

Central Falls, RI 02863-1906

(401) 722-2422

Those boys ran their asses off on the final job of their day moving from a sub-ground basement apartment to a second and third floor walk up and got tipped accordingly.

Edited by craig

• 3 weeks later...