Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to move to Providence May 1st or June 1st and was wondering where to live. I am looking for a one or two bedroom for around $1000 - $1500 that is newly renovated, has heat / AC, washer / dryer, dishwasher, possibly a balcony, parking, and is within walking distance of my downtown office right across the street from Brown. I would like to live in an extremely nice neighborhood where I can walk around at any hour and feel safe. It would be nice if there are quaint shops and restaurants in the area. I have heard that the Eastside and College Hill are supposed to be nice. I have checked out Craig's List, but that has not been very helpful. Should I try to use a broker and if so does anyone have any recommendations for a broker? Also, what is the best time to find a place? May 1st or June 1st? Any thoughts on where to live, when is the best time to move, and how to find a place would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to rent at $1000 or above, why not think about buying a small condo? There's a glut right now, so prices are good and soft. Sellers, especially those who are developers or converters, are having to be very flexible in pricing. So I think it's a good time to buy, because while the market might be softening, or should I say plateauing, it's not going to tank. There's too much great growth going on here, too many aspects of this city and its neighborhoods that will continue to foster the growth. Just buy smart. If you decide to rent, it doesn't make sense to use one broker. Because commissions are not standardized with rentals, there is no loyalty because brokers only show you their own company's rentals. Call each of the big local companies who do the East Side, for example Coleman, Hogan & Stone, Residential Properties and see what they have on their books. Rentals are soft too, so remember that you can make offers there too. Good luck.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Based on my limited knowledge, I am leaning towards finding a place in College Hill. I work in the Turks Head Building in the Financial District and living in College Hill would be a nice easy walk. I realize that College Hill is pretty expensive, but willing to spend a good amount for the convenience and the nice neighborhood. I am planning to walk around the city this weekend to get a better idea of the what's around and where I think I might like to be. A buddy from work lives on benefit street and he's a fan. He also recommended Wickendon.

wickenden is actually a raelly neat street. not too much for housing on it, but there's a bunch right off it. that's actually the fox point neighborhood, also part of the east side (like college hill).

wickenden is actually a raelly neat street. not too much for housing on it, but there's a bunch right off it. that's actually the fox point neighborhood, also part of the east side (like college hill).

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in this thread, but Fillini's Pizza is a must try on Wikendon. One of the best pizzas in Providence, my favorite next to Caserta's cheese and peperoni.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in this thread, but Fillini's Pizza is a must try on Wikendon. One of the best pizzas in Providence, my favorite next to Caserta's cheese and peperoni.

Living right off of Wickenden is loud, just as a warning. They get almost as much Harley noise as Thayer in the summers just as an example.

Hi everyone, this is a great board and was hoping someone could help. I am an incoming resident at Rhode Island Hospital in July and looking for an apartment, the general area being narrowed down to East Side. I was in town over the weekend and looked at a ton of places and the best that I found was a garden apartment of someone's home in a quiet part of College Hill, convenient to Thayer and even North Main. I do, however, have some reservations about living in a garden apt. and would much rather live in a modern place with all the amenities (as I have now in Chicago), but it seems like you can't find that in a true neighborhood setting of Providence (minus East Side Commons, which does not have condos for rent at this time). Is there something I'm missing or is that how it is if I want to live in East Side? I am willing to spend up to $1400/month. Thank you in advance to all...

Hi everyone, this is a great board and was hoping someone could help. I am an incoming resident at Rhode Island Hospital in July and looking for an apartment, the general area being narrowed down to East Side. I was in town over the weekend and looked at a ton of places and the best that I found was a garden apartment of someone's home in a quiet part of College Hill, convenient to Thayer and even North Main. I do, however, have some reservations about living in a garden apt. and would much rather live in a modern place with all the amenities (as I have now in Chicago), but it seems like you can't find that in a true neighborhood setting of Providence (minus East Side Commons, which does not have condos for rent at this time). Is there something I'm missing or is that how it is if I want to live in East Side? I am willing to spend up to $1400/month. Thank you in advance to all...

i don't think you're looking hard enough. i agree on the garden apartment, i lived in one when i first moved here (it was in north prov). you can find a regular apartment on the east side, but if you're looking for a 1br, it might be tough.

i'm not gonna find the links again, but if you look up a few posts, i linked to some of brown's pages that have apartment listings. also try craigslist and projo.com (the providence journal's website). are you looking to rent a condo or looking for a regular apartment?

i also suggest looking beyond the east side. the other neighborhoods have a lot to offer as well, and for $1400, you can get a much nicer apartment if you don't restrict yourself to the east side.

doesn't anyone know how to use craigslist?

http://providence.craigslist.org/apa/152099833.html

Slightly out of your price range, best views in the city:

http://providence.craigslist.org/apa/151870048.html

This is a condo rental, which seems to be what you might be looking for.

http://providence.craigslist.org/apa/151339294.html

I am willing to spend p to $1400/month. Thank you in advance to all...

Depending on the length of your residency (3-5 years), I would seriously consider buying a condo if you have that much to spend. I'm doing a fellowship (3 years) at Rhode Island Hospital and bought this time around, as renting and throwing that money away was one of my great regrets of residency.

I don't know the best places to find rental listings (Craigslist?), but www.riliving.com is the best place for condo listings, and you should be able to find something for under $1400 mortgage and taxes per month.

I understand your frustration, by the way, at trying to find "true neighborhood" settings here in Providence. Despite Providence's abundance of great, character-filled areas, there are actually very few with walkable mixes of restaurants, services, pharmacies, and markets. Downtown doesn't offer those yet, so you're pretty much limited to:

- Wayland Square

- Intersection of Hope and Rochambeau ("Hope Village")

- Federal Hill

The Oak Hill area (intersection of Hope and Blackstone, and popular with renters and first time buyers and thus home to many residents and grad students) is nearly a full fledged neighborhood as well.

As neat as they are, I really don't consider Broadway, Wickenden, Thayer, and North Main to be full service neighborhoods in walkable sense.

- Garris

Do you know about the Plantations? On the border of East Side and downtown. Not terribly charming because they are newer construction, but that sounds like what you're after. Smaller units are one level. Others are two levels. The small 1 bed units rent for about $1000-$1100 andf the bigger townhouses for about your pricerange. Good luck.

Depending on the length of your residency (3-5 years), I would seriously consider buying a condo if you have that much to spend. I'm doing a fellowship (3 years) at Rhode Island Hospital and bought this time around, as renting and throwing that money away was one of my great regrets of residency.

I don't know the best places to find rental listings (Craigslist?), but www.riliving.com is the best place for condo listings, and you should be able to find something for under $1400 mortgage and taxes per month.

I understand your frustration, by the way, at trying to find "true neighborhood" settings here in Providence. Despite Providence's abundance of great, character-filled areas, there are actually very few with walkable mixes of restaurants, services, pharmacies, and markets. Downtown doesn't offer those yet, so you're pretty much limited to:

- Wayland Square

- Intersection of Hope and Rochambeau ("Hope Village")

- Federal Hill

The Oak Hill area (intersection of Hope and Blackstone, and popular with renters and first time buyers and thus home to many residents and grad students) is nearly a full fledged neighborhood as well.

As neat as they are, I really don't consider Broadway, Wickenden, Thayer, and North Main to be full service neighborhoods in walkable sense.

- Garris

I disagree wholeheartedly about the lack of neighborhoods. I think of Providence and its environs as a collection of villages with neighborhood squares. Anything around South Main Street is excellent. Historic Fox Point (between say Williams on North side to Wickenden on South side and between Brook on West side and Governor on East side) is a really good neighborhood. Anything around Broadway (well, within the two streets north and south of Broadway anyway) is equally good, though for more eclectic types. And Wickenden around Armory is coming around. And what about the new neighborhoods being created? Like Eagle Square or Rising Sun? A couple of my favorites outside of Providence include Pawtuxet Village (both the Cranston and Warwick sides) and Warren. But I agree that renting is ridiculous unless you're so up in the air about your life that you may be moving in less than two years.

Thanks Garris...I have so little time to see places in Providence. I was just out there this past weekend and really can't get out there again until early June and need to move at the end of June. So buying at this point is very difficult without really knowing the lay of the land and what I'm paying for. I own in Chicago currently and prefer to own again, but right now it is a little too much to handle given my time constraints.

I have found that garden apt in a decent area of College Hill with the amenities I am looking for, except A/C. Aside from the fact that I have had A/C the last 7 years, how important is it in Providence?

Thanks Garris...I have so little time to see places in Providence. I was just out there this past weekend and really can't get out there again until early June and need to move at the end of June. So buying at this point is very difficult without really knowing the lay of the land and what I'm paying for. I own in Chicago currently and prefer to own again, but right now it is a little too much to handle given my time constraints.

I have found that garden apt in a decent area of College Hill with the amenities I am looking for, except A/C. Aside from the fact that I have had A/C the last 7 years, how important is it in Providence?

A/C is still considered a luxury in New England. The summers do get pretty hot and humid, though, and some of the buildings that hold heat so well (and even those that don't) get awfully hot during the summer. Most apartments will not include A/C though there are a few out there that do and from what I've seen they for the most part don't charge an arm and a leg. One thing to look for is a place that includes electric, so you won't have to worry about high bills when you leave the (window-mounted) AC on max while you're at work all day.

A/C is not as necessary in Providence as it is in Chicago. However if you are used to it I would guess that there are 20-30 nights per year that you will want it.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the lack of neighborhoods.

I think Garris' point, and sometime frustration, is that there are not many full service neighborhoods. You have to leave most neighborhoods for some essential, be it pharmacy needs or groceries, and for many non-essentials such as movie rentals and dry-cleaning. You'll find in cities like Boston and New York and Chicago, that there are areas where you could pretty much never leave a 10 block area and still have all you need, there aren't many (or really any) areas of Providence where that applies, no matter where you live, there is always something missing.

PVD certainly has neighborhoods, and some damn fine ones, just not many that are as all-inclusive as someone from a larger city might be expecting.

A/C is not as necessary in Providence as it is in Chicago. However if you are used to it I would guess that there are 20-30 nights per year that you will want it.

I have AC, I used it once last year.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the lack of neighborhoods. I think of Providence and its environs as a collection of villages with neighborhood squares. Anything around South Main Street is excellent. Historic Fox Point (between say Williams on North side to Wickenden on South side and between Brook on West side and Governor on East side) is a really good neighborhood. Anything around Broadway (well, within the two streets north and south of Broadway anyway) is equally good, though for more eclectic types. And Wickenden around Armory is coming around. And what about the new neighborhoods being created? Like Eagle Square or Rising Sun? A couple of my favorites outside of Providence include Pawtuxet Village (both the Cranston and Warwick sides) and Warren. But I agree that renting is ridiculous unless you're so up in the air about your life that you may be moving in less than two years.

i, too, disagree about the lack of neighborhoods. sure, they aren't as built up as larger cities like chicago, new york, or even boston, but they're there and they're being built up.

as for renting, it's for those who want to settle in one place for a while or those who frankly can't afford to buy (like myself) or just don't want to deal with the responsibilities of upkeep on the house/condo.

A/C is still considered a luxury in New England. The summers do get pretty hot and humid, though, and some of the buildings that hold heat so well (and even those that don't) get awfully hot during the summer. Most apartments will not include A/C though there are a few out there that do and from what I've seen they for the most part don't charge an arm and a leg. One thing to look for is a place that includes electric, so you won't have to worry about high bills when you leave the (window-mounted) AC on max while you're at work all day.

a lot of places that include electric might frown upon AC, at least that was the case with my landlady. but the woman downstairs complained about a "heart condition" and said she needed one, so i was able to get one because of that. of course the one i have is energy efficient and only on when i'm home, while hers is on 24/7 and older so not very efficient.

and there's really no need to keep the AC on max while you're at work all day, even if you pay your own electric. that's just wasteful and a big reason our power companies are under a lot of strain.

there's much more than 20-30 nights here that you'll want AC, like the second half of july through the first half of September, maybe even earlier and later than that. the humidity starts to get pretty bad around mid-june and that's the real issue here, not the actual temperature.

Not sure if you're set on this place or not, but I thought I'd put in an additional plug for Federal Hill/Broadway/Armory areas. I'm completing a research fellowship at a different local hospital, but do travel to RIH on occasion. It is a super-short drive to RIH and the VA from these neighborhoods. Also, given the amount of restoration and renovation in these neighborhoods, your odds of finding something more modern and updated are going to be much greater - you may even find a/c! In addition to Craigslist, I would check out the Pearl St. Lofts.

Last summer was incredibly hot and humid. Perhaps native New Englanders are more robust than the rest of us, but a/c has been a serious necessity for my husband and I!

Not sure if you're set on this place or not, but I thought I'd put in an additional plug for Federal Hill/Broadway/Armory areas. I'm completing a research fellowship at a different local hospital, but do travel to RIH on occasion. It is a super-short drive to RIH and the VA from these neighborhoods. Also, given the amount of restoration and renovation in these neighborhoods, your odds of finding something more modern and updated are going to be much greater - you may even find a/c! In addition to Craigslist, I would check out the Pearl St. Lofts.

Last summer was incredibly hot and humid. Perhaps native New Englanders are more robust than the rest of us, but a/c has been a serious necessity for my husband and I!

i agree, you should check into other places as well. some of the newer places might offer something better and include central AC.

i'm a native new englander from the shoreline of CT (humidity is strong there). the humidity is the real problem and it's no different here in providence than it was in southern CT. AC, while not a real necessity for me, does help, especially sleeping at night. nights don't get cool enough that they cancel out the humidity, especially if your apartment is on the top floor of the house/building (mine is the 2nd floor of a 2 story house). even with the windows all open, it doesn't stay cool enough when there's no wind, and if it rains, you can't leave the windows open anyways... so fans just aren't good enough.

Thanks everyone. I don't know much about the Broadway/Armory area except that it seems to be up and coming--I've heard about the Rising Sun Mills that offers a lot for the money on the order of one bedrooms. While the receptionist told me that there is literally no surrounding neighborhood, the gated community does offer a coffee shop and other amenities.

In terms of the A/C, would a large one bedroom apt require a window unit in the bedroom and, say, the living area as well? Or do you think a single unit could suffice? Thanks to all,

Dave

Thanks everyone. I don't know much about the Broadway/Armory area except that it seems to be up and coming--I've heard about the Rising Sun Mills that offers a lot for the money on the order of one bedrooms. While the receptionist told me that there is literally no surrounding neighborhood, the gated community does offer a coffee shop and other amenities.

In terms of the A/C, would a large one bedroom apt require a window unit in the bedroom and, say, the living area as well? Or do you think a single unit could suffice? Thanks to all,

Dave

depending on how large you're talking... i have a 1br apt. i think it's about 450 sq ft. i have 1 unit in the bedroom (which is the whole back of the house, it's a wide room with a door in the middle) that generally keeps the whole apt fairly cool. obviously the bedroom is cooler than the rest, but if i put a fan in front of the bedroom door it cools the rest fairly well. i also have window fans that do exhaust and i have them sucking the air through into the living room and kitchen. it works pretty well. i think my AC is something like 580 BTU.

I've heard about the Rising Sun Mills that offers a lot for the money on the order of one bedrooms. While the receptionist told me that there is literally no surrounding neighborhood, the gated community does offer a coffee shop and other amenities.

I would imagine that that is not something the receptionist is told to say, and as point of fact, it's not entirely true. While Valley Street (where Rising Sun is located) is heavily industrial (the complex is an old mill after all), there is a neighborhood in the area. It's not as nice as the East Side or the Armory, but its there. You can walk to the grocery store at Eagle Square (there's also a pharmacy in the grocery store, a laundromat, fast food restaurants, Staples...). North and West of Rising Sun is a residential area, though it is rather depressed. Olneyville Square is within walking distance and has a hardware store, library (though that's in danger of budget cuts) and a bank among other stores. The area around Rising Sun is quite depressed, and you would definately be on the first wave of gentrification, but that does not mean there isn't a neighborhood there.

I would imagine that that is not something the receptionist is told to say, and as point of fact, it's not entirely true. While Valley Street (where Rising Sun is located) is heavily industrial (the complex is an old mill after all), there is a neighborhood in the area. It's not as nice as the East Side or the Armory, but its there. You can walk to the grocery store at Eagle Square (there's also a pharmacy in the grocery store, a laundromat, fast food restaurants, Staples...). North and West of Rising Sun is a residential area, though it is rather depressed. Olneyville Square is within walking distance and has a hardware store, library (though that's in danger of budget cuts) and a bank among other stores. The area around Rising Sun is quite depressed, and you would definately be on the first wave of gentrification, but that does not mean there isn't a neighborhood there.

you should add that rising sun is about a mile walk from atwells and dean (walking up valley to atwells and then walking up atwells). while it's not the nicest of places to walk to/from at night, it's not terrible when in a group. rising sun is also not far from olneyville square (half mile maybe?).

rising sun isn't a "gated community" is it? I don't remember seeing gates on the plans i saw! just because there's fence around the parking lot doesn't make it gated, does it? if that's true then, damn, i live in a gated community too! No wonder the rats love it so much here! All that security!