Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

I have a hard time answering safety questions because I've never really felt unsafe anywhere. however I know plenty of single women living on the East Side.

There is a dog park behind Hope High if you want to live on college hill. But if you want a really dog friendly place, I would try Blackstone Blvd area. Actually there is a little neighborhood tucked in between Wayland Square and the river right before Blackstone Blvd. starts and there is a little park there in addition.

as far as the overall safety, you still have to be aware.

providence plan has good crime stats for the various neighborhoods.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Armory is extremely dog friendly and there are plenty of places where a single woman would feel safe.

I know everyone does fixate on the East Side, but there are plenty of other neighborhoods that are thriving in Providence.

Check out Pawtucket too, it's a lot cheaper than Providence sometimes. Up Hope St. from the East Side of Providence and also Darlington are pretty safe areas. But if money doesn't matter, go for Providence.

I'd like to echo Recchia and throw in my support for living near the Providence/Pawtucket line at the top of Blackstone. I've lived here almost a year and I've felt safe in my neighborhood and love the proximity of the Blackstone path. There are a number of good restaurants within walking distance and a Shaw's grocery store I walk to sometimes (although that I would only do in daylight) as N. Main can be sketchy after dark.

The rest of Providence is an easy trip down N. Main, Hope, or Blackstone Blvd depending on whether you want to end up downcity, Thayer/Wickendon, or Wayland, respectively.

Almost everyone on my block has a dog, although the nearest dog parks seem to be the one behind Hope High and Rainbow Park at the other end of Blackstone. Lippett park is right near me and there are lots of dogs - just not off-leash.

Warning: these neighborhoods are pretty quiet and there is NOTHING in the way of nearby 'nightlife'. The pubs on Hope are within walking distance, but they don't stay open that late.

Best of luck with the move!

I'd like to echo Recchia and throw in my support for living near the Providence/Pawtucket line at the top of Blackstone. I've lived here almost a year and I've felt safe in my neighborhood and love the proximity of the Blackstone path.

This neighborhood (Summit) has the East Side's best balance of affordability, commercial vibrancy, walkability, etc. Assuming you are renting, there are a lot of options in the $1000-$1200 range for half a two-family. Its very dog-friendly, especially good for walking your dog.

The dog park situation is a little more problematic on the East Side. The Brown Street location behind Hope High School is not an official dog park, though the Parks Dept has agreed to allow it to continue for the time being. Henderson Park on Waterman is supposed to be developed as a dog park this Spring, per the Projo.

Although I'm a Summit/Oak Hill proponent, its not for everyone, and I'd also recommend the Armory, the West End, and Darlington in Pawtucket, depending on what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a lot of people from RIH here. I am starting at RIH in a month or so as well. I have been looking for a few weeks now for a condo, and have finally gotten some grasp of the neighborhoods. I looked in the Armory area as well as Federal Hill, both south of Atwells and right off Atwells. Neither neighborhoods appealed to me. It's purely a personal thing, but Armory was a little too "up and coming" for me (i.e., not quite there yet), and Federal Hill had too many sketchy pockets. Even in the non-sketchy areas, it was a little too urban dense for me. Downtown turned out to be too much of a nightmare with a car. Wayland seems like potentially a both relaxing and trendy place to live, although it definitely did not seem to have half the life that you see near Wickenden. Is that accurate, or am I missing the lively area in Wayland? I've been mainly along Wayland Ave where the Daily Bread, Farmstead, etc are (both of which are favorites of mine now).

In any case, I'm pretty sure Fox Point (specifically the western side of Fox Point) is the place for me because it seems to be a nice area to step out and unwind after a hard day in the hospital, or to study a little at the Coffee Exchange. It reminds me a little bit of the western end of Newbury St in Boston.

Anyway, I have a few questions about the area. First of all, how much should I expect to spend to buy a well-maintained, renovated, or new 1 bed condo in the 550+ sq ft range in this area? Secondly, is it safe to walk or ride a bike to & from RIH at night (residents' hours)? Fox Point seems mighty safe, but Eddy St down to the hospital seems a bit suspicious.

Lastly, any idea how the 195 relocation project will affect property values in this neighborhood as it nears completion?

Thanks!

Hi Pixie... I'm another RIH'er... Medicine subspecialty fellowship. Basically, I think that your take of all the neighborhoods (especially as someone who will be on call coming and going at all hours) is spot on. You're right about Wickenden definitely being more lively than Wayland Square... Wickenden has a bit more lower volume Newbury St thing going, vs Wayland Sq's more Newton Center type of scenario...

Secondly, is it safe to walk or ride a bike to & from RIH at night (residents' hours)? Fox Point seems mighty safe, but Eddy St down to the hospital seems a bit suspicious.

I can't help you with the price issue, but I know people who do the Fox Point to RIH walk/bike and as long as you stay vigilant, there aren't really any issues. If you look in the morning and afternoon, a lot of people are walking there. Would I do it at 2 AM on-call? No, I'd drive...

Lastly, any idea how the 195 relocation project will affect property values in this neighborhood as it nears completion?

Hum, interesting question. My guess is that in the long run, with increased access to the park and completion of the disruption, it can only help. I would bet the larger real estate forces at work in Providence will be more important than the 195 work in determining where property values go, however...

- Garris

Hum, interesting question. My guess is that in the long run, with increased access to the park and completion of the disruption, it can only help. I would bet the larger real estate forces at work in Providence will be more important than the 195 work in determining where property values go, however...

I don't think the 195 relocation will have much impact on prices in Fox Point. At Fox Point, the highway isn't actually going anywhere, the connection to the park will be nicer, but not better, it's still a footbridge in the same location, just a nicer footbridge. The linear park on the Washington Bridge will be a nice attraction and connection to the East Bay Bikepath will be more obvious, but the overall impact will be rather negligible.

Is downtown Providence at all livable?

what is your idea of livable?

there's apartments and some condos already available downtown. it lacks some amenities of other neighborhoods (like a grocery store and full service pharmacy), but other than that it's pretty livable if you ask me...

Someone in this forum asked earlier about parking on Federal Hill and while the question was not appropriate for the board, i thought I would respond anyway and remind people that when you rent an apartment in Providence it is supposed to come with at least one parking spot. Isn't that the law? The landlord can charge extra, but renting apartments without access to at least one spot per unit is not legal, is it? my understanding is that the landlord has to arrange for there to be one space somewhere, even if you have to pay extra for it. Does anyone know for sure if that is true, or is just an urban legend?

Someone in this forum asked earlier about parking on Federal Hill and while the question was not appropriate for the board, i thought I would respond anyway and remind people that when you rent an apartment in Providence it is supposed to come with at least one parking spot. Isn't that the law? The landlord can charge extra, but renting apartments without access to at least one spot per unit is not legal, is it? my understanding is that the landlord has to arrange for there to be one space somewhere, even if you have to pay extra for it. Does anyone know for sure if that is true, or is just an urban legend?

given the large number of apartments for rent with no parking offered... i'd say it's an urban legend.

given the large number of apartments for rent with no parking offered... i'd say it's an urban legend.

you may be right. i've been searching the ordinances and can't find the reference, however, in zoning, we require 1.5 spaces per dwelling unit (altho the new ordinance will say just one per) and i am curious how come that never trickled down into an actual ordinance regarding rental property.

you may be right. i've been searching the ordinances and can't find the reference, however, in zoning, we require 1.5 spaces per dwelling unit (altho the new ordinance will say just one per) and i am curious how come that never trickled down into an actual ordinance regarding rental property.

Zoning is chapter 27. The provision you are talking about is Section 703.

Grandfathering?

Pretty much. Article II of the Chapter 27 governs non-conforming uses. A use is non-conforming and "grandfathered in" if "a building, structure or the use of land was lawfully established if it was in existence prior to June 6, 1923, or was established in conformance with the zoning ordinance in effect at the time the use was established."

There is a specfic provison for parking, Section 205, which provides

"A building or structure is considered nonconforming by parking if the lawfully established use of the building or structure does not meet the parking requirements of Article VII.

205.1. Addition, enlargement, expansion and intensification. A building or structure nonconforming by parking, may be added to, enlarged, expanded or intensified provided additional parking space is supplied to meet the requirements of Article VII for such addition, enlargement, expansion or intensification. The number of additional parking spaces supplied shall be the difference between the number of spaces required for the building or structure including such addition, enlargement, expansion or intensification, and the number of spaces required for the previous use of the building or structure; each calculated in accordance with the requirements of Article VII. "

So basically if you were grandfathered in, and you have don't expand the building you don't have to provide parking. If you do expand your building, you have bring the parking up to code.

This is definitely not law.

I'm back. Like a bad penny :unsure:

We're coming back, 3rd week in July, to apartment hunt for Sep 1. How's the apartment stock for a "mature" couple who are down to one cat, one car and a couple of motorcycles (which we'll probably have to keep offsite, I imagine). I worry that we'll be competing with the students and if we have to pop for August rent too, so be it. We're willing to be almost anywhere (tho something like the above mentioned Hope Village sounds ideal for a girl that is SCREAMING to get back to urban life).

Is getting an apt rented in a week doable? Or have I set us up for an Amazing Race sort of situation?

Meg

Is getting an apt rented in a week doable? Or have I set us up for an Amazing Race sort of situation?

Meg

I think it's either very doable if you're flexible, and tough if you're very picky. There are plenty of apartments no matter what time it is, and I would imagine that you are competing with (Brown) students mainly if you're looking for the College Hill, Fox Point, or Wayland areas. PC is further Northwest I think and thus not so much in the "high demand" areas, and students from the other schools (RISD, Johnson & Wales) are also more spread out.

So, I would say it depends on where you're willing to live, what you're willing to spend, and what quality you're looking for. In a week, you should have no trouble finding a decent but generally older 1 or 2 bed in the $1000+ range in the top areas, or a nice place in a sub-$1000 range in an outskirt area (E. Prov., N. prov., the northern reaches of East Side, Pawtucket, etc.).

As far as the bike, I don't see why you couldn't keep it onsite ... most of the apts I saw came with parking. Still, many do not, so always ask.

It also depends on how much time you have in that week, of course. If the whole week is devoted to this, you shouldn't have trouble finding a place even if you're picky. You could also say it depends on the housing market, but that's a big guess/gamble. Some say that the condo market will dip significantly towards fall ... in which case maybe there will be more people looking at buying, or more condo buyers will have condos ready to rent.

Lastly, depending on what kind of urban life you're looking for, I would suggest checking out the west side of Fox Point (kind of a small vacation town feel mixed with a liberal college feel, with lots of little shops and restaurants) or the Angell St. area near Wayland (close to shops in Wayland Square and Thayer St). Both locations have that nice walkable feel, but are also close to downtown. If you're looking for more urban than that, Federal Hill is a denser area with lots of Italian influence, and is also close to downtown. Of course, if you're looking for *city*, you could live in the Downtown area as well ... but with bikes, I doubt that's what you're looking for.

pix

The strain placed on the rental market on the East Side has eased slightly since RISD opened their new 500 bed dorm Downcity. They are able to house many more upper classmen than they were in the past.

hmmnn... we used to have a thread about that.

From my experience, the place seemed a little dumpy. It originally appeared to be pretty nice with its function room, "movie theater", gym, and pool. But, it turned into a place that didn't well maintain its property.

For a while, it seemed to be housing many students who neglected their apartments, left trash (or worse) in the hallways, were loud, and just overall disrespected the property.

Of course, there were some great tenants there as well, but it only takes a few folks to really make the place a disaster.

That said, I haven't been inside for well over a year, and it is within walking distance of just about everything.

Edited by matt